Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Bob Alkema

domingo

I am in the market for a new boat and my Mastercraft dealer told me not to take my Malibu dealer serious because the owner trains his dealers to lie about other boat companies. And that also he was just fired because of poor boat quality. Is any of this true?

I am in the market for a new boat and my Mastercraft dealer told me not to take my Malibu dealer serious because the owner trains his dealers to lie about other boat companies. And that also he was just fired because of poor boat quality. Is any of this true?

I think he was talking about other Mastercraft dealers. Lame.gifWelcome.gif

I think the better question is to ask those that know what they think of Mastercraft's sales tactics. ;)

Ludicrous.

Possible a legitimate post and question, but looks more like a flame to me. Blowup.gif

WOW there is so much misinformation in that first post.

Bob is the boss, he is still completely in command, and he's one of the nicest guys in the industry. If there is any Lies, it's the other way

Ludicrous.

Possible a legitimate post and question, but looks more like a flame to me. Blowup.gif

Kind of what I was thinking, but let's give him a chance to respond.

Ludicrous.

No No I have heard all kinds of stuff. I mean for me to be on this, dont you think I am doing alittle homework. Dealers will tell you anything to sell a boat, when they have 40 siting to try and sell. Thats why i am shopping now. I think the malibu is a great boat, gel coat is sick. The real test is on the water which i have only thing i would like to ask is about the seats being screwed in? is that a big deal or not

Ludicrous.

No No I have heard all kinds of stuff. I mean for me to be on this, dont you think I am doing alittle homework. Dealers will tell you anything to sell a boat, when they have 40 siting to try and sell. Thats why i am shopping now. I think the malibu is a great boat, gel coat is sick. The real test is on the water which i have only thing i would like to ask is about the seats being screwed in? is that a big deal or not

Some dealers are like that, most Malibu dealers are not. As I said, ask about Mastercraft sales tactics....

One thing I have ALWAYS been impressed with when it comes to Malibu Boats: Whether it is Dealers, Owners, or Enthusiasts I hardly EVER hear them bring up a competitor's product. I have, literally, never heard ANYONE at my dealership bring up ANY other manufacturer, EVER. As for this site, scan through the threads yourself. Of the hundreds of posts, count how many times you read another boat manufacturer's name. It's rare. I think it's apparent that the best, in any walk of life, don't need to talk trash about the competition. If you're into sports, think about it that way......How often did you hear Micheal Jordan mention a competitor by name. Why is that, you think?

And now let me be a somewhat of a hypocrite and tell you a true story (bear with me here); :)

When I was first in the market for a new boat I, for some reason, had made up my mind that I wanted a MC. I did tons of research on their products and went to the boat show ready to buy. I walked into the MC booth, told them to get me a price on the boat I wanted, and walked around the show for a bit. When I returned (all details of the crappy 'deal' they wanted to offer me aside) the owner of the dealership spent about 20 minutes telling me how cool he, his boat (his personal boat), and his tow vehicle were. He continued to brag about his riding ability, lifestyle, and toys. I finally grew tired of this and specifically asked him why I should buy his product as compared to the competitor's. Instead of telling me all about his product, pointing out superior craftsmanship, and selling HIS boat.......He promptly went into a 10 minute rant on how crappy MALIBU boats were. Keep in mind, MALIBU, not ANY other boat maker, just MALIBU. (kinda like your experience, as far as sales tactics go) I figured there was a reason he chose to trash Malibu, so I immediately went to their booth. Needless to say, I bought one, and two years later........I bought another.

Do your research. Check out all the brands. I look forward to the posts of your new MALIBU! :werule:

So, are you reluctant to look at Malibu because you've been warned about the dealership's

sales tactics or because the seats are screwed in?

Whatever brand you decide to purchase, the dealership is a very important factor. These

boats need to be serviced and maintained, whether or not you need any warranty work

performed, and it helps to have a good relationship with the dealer. But, I wouldn't take

one dealers' word on the business practices of a competitive dealer seriously. Go to both.

Test drive both brands. Test ski/board all boats you're considering. Decide for yourself.

If screw in seats were a big deal, why would Malibu be an industry leader? And why would

anybody on this site even own one?

I don't understand the screw in seats statement.....

Furthermore: There have been threads that highlight or describe a problem that is unique to a specific brand or option of another brand, but I could count on one hand the number of "bashing" threads on here or on the original MalibuBoatOwners...

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Good luck with your research.

Patrick

I don't understand the screw in seats statement.....

I think what he is asking (or looking for more info on) with that comment is: He has heard that Malibu screws their driver's seat into the floorboards, as opposed to being through bolted or attached directly to a backer plate.

Could someone, more educated than I, address that subject for him? Possibly compare/contrast the different manufacturer's attachment points and installation processes.

It's a common thing that MC dealers bring up about Malibu. Believe me, they've got a whole list of things that they'll use to try to convince you how badly Malibu boats are built. The story from people across the years has been so consistent that I'm absolutely convinced that a dealer has to pass a class in Malibu Bashing 101 before MC will grant the dealership. I'm only half joking about that.

As an example, the issue with the seat isn't one. Are they screwed in? Yes. Is it an issue? Not that I've ever seen mentioned, on this forum or on MBO going back to 2002. That's close to 500,000 posts & 6 years of moderating Malibu sites, & I've never seen a thread about this particular problem that MC seems to think is such a big deal. That doesn't mean that there aren't boats out there that have had an issue, I'm just saying that the big issue that MC wants to make this is as near to a non-issue as you can get.

Another example: I had a MC dealer tell me right to my face that a Malibu doesn't have any foam in it & that if you fill it with water it will sink straight to the bottom. What a load of BS. I still can't believe that he got that out with a straight face.

I'm sure that not all of them are like this & that there are honest MC dealers out there, in fact I've talked with a few. But the misrepresentations & outright lies that I've consistently & repeatedly seen & heard of paints a very poor picture of the MC dealer network.

So my advice to anyone talking with a MC dealer about Malibu boats....take everything that they say with a heaping tablespoon of salt.

All of that aside, they make great boats.

EDIT: Fixed topic title, his name should be spelled correctly.

You have to be kidding me. MC is dragging bottom, in an effort to catch us.

If you believe that, you should be in a Tige'.

Test drive a Malibu first and then go test drive some of the other lines. I'm willing to bet that you will wonder why salesmen say stuff like that. They don't WANT you to test out Malibus! By generating crap information, the probability of you staying there and working out a deal or loading your mine with "crap information" could help them out by selling a boat before you leave their shop.

Just go test a malibu out. I'm also willing to bet that any malibu dealer out there will be happy to take you to the lake. Come to think about it, I have encountered other dealers that act like it's a hassle to test drive a boat. hmmmmmm

Wow, sounds like the MC dealers are selling something else other than boats... Biggrin.gif

You know, I was thinking about this thread last night, wondering where our OP went. I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't a troll, & I hope that whoever you are you show up soon to prove that you aren't. It's just sad that people feel the need to be that way.

Yeah, you know what?

I was laying awake the other night too, (insert tongue into cheek)

Then I remembered what bs001 said in the beginning, and it's true...

One thing I have ALWAYS been impressed with when it comes to Malibu Boats: Whether it is Dealers, Owners, or Enthusiasts I hardly EVER hear them bring up a competitor's product. I have, literally, never heard ANYONE at my dealership bring up ANY other manufacturer, EVER. As for this site, scan through the threads yourself. Of the hundreds of posts, count how many times you read another boat manufacturer's name. It's rare. I think it's apparent that the best, in any walk of life, don't need to talk trash about the competition. If you're into sports, think about it that way......How often did you hear Micheal Jordan mention a competitor by name. Why is that, you think?

I don't ever recall being on another persons (other brand) boat and saying anything about how much better my boat is. I hope whatever (other brand) boat owner's website this guy came from shows this post to all his buddies.

You know, I was thinking about this thread last night, wondering where our OP went. I really wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt that he wasn't a troll, & I hope that whoever you are you show up soon to prove that you aren't. It's just sad that people feel the need to be that way.

A legit newcomer doesn't title a thread Bob Alkema.

Just my dos pesos. :)