Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

driveshaft bearing/bushing

medicdiver

When turning the prop by hand from underneath the boat I get a creaking noise that sounds like a dry seal, creaking on the driveshaft. The prop doesn't spin real easy, like there is resistance to it. Do I need to replace the bearing/bushing to the driveshaft? Also, I nicked some rocks the other day and need to get my prop repaired, anyone know of a good place for the inboard props??

Thanks in advance.

When turning the prop by hand from underneath the boat I get a creaking noise that sounds like a dry seal, creaking on the driveshaft. The prop doesn't spin real easy, like there is resistance to it. Do I need to replace the bearing/bushing to the driveshaft? Also, I nicked some rocks the other day and need to get my prop repaired, anyone know of a good place for the inboard props??

Thanks in advance.

Where are you at??

The creaking noise and the resistance is normal, these shafts are water lubricated.

The bearing works by having water lubricate the shaft to bearing surface. The creaking noise when spinning out of the water is due to it being dry, just make sure it doesn't do it when in the water, I assume it came out okay.

There are usually decent prop repair shops at a large water body marina. Not sure of who to send out the prop to other than the manufacturer, who can repair props. I am guessing that your boat has a either CVP stainless prop, and if so, they are no longer in business, or if you have an Acme or OJ, they should be able to repair or recommend a place to do it. If your prop is a CNC machined prop from Acme or OJ the repair will not be quite as good as the original machining since they will have to hand repair the prop. Acme is actually located near Grand Rapids, Mi, so not too far from you.

Also, I nicked some rocks the other day and need to get my prop repaired, anyone know of a good place for the inboard props??

I had mine repaired at Fox Lake Propeller in Fox Lake. Not sure if you get over there, but they do good work. It's on Rt. 12 Just North of Grand on the East side. Cost was about $150.

Also, I nicked some rocks the other day and need to get my prop repaired, anyone know of a good place for the inboard props??

I had mine repaired at Fox Lake Propeller in Fox Lake. Not sure if you get over there, but they do good work. It's on Rt. 12 Just North of Grand on the East side. Cost was about $150.

Not that far from me. I will check in to them. Yes, it has an ACME NiBrAl Prop on it.