Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Jeep tow rigs?

famous337

Does anybody tow their boats with a jeep? Specifically a jeep wrangler unlimited? I'm going to be buying a malibu this winter (fingers crossed) an 2001-2004 vlx or newer Vride is the plan. I have a wrangler unlimited rated to tow 3500lbs. I know i'd be cutting it pretty close considering the boat is 3,000 dry. Also, anyone know the weight of the tandem axle trailer?

Edited by famous337

Dontknow.gif I would never tow with my Jeep, but I do not have a frame hitch . I have seen a guy tow a 21 ft with a stock Jeep , but he only towed it 2 miles. He said it did OK . How far are you wanting to tow boat ? I think it would be to heavy and hard to stop load :unsure: . But Got to love Jeeps Yahoo.gif

April6thJeepPics017.jpg

Edited by goochy

You are cutting it pretty close, the weight of a trailer is around 1000# so you may be a little over. this would void you insurance if anythint happened. Insurance companies love to find ways to avoid paying. Also if the jeep is still under warentee that would be voided as well.

Good luck on getting the VLX or VRide.

REW

Short distance (few miles) towing under highway speeds the Jeep will probably handle it. The main problem you will have is if you need to stop the boat in an emergency the boat weighs more than the Jeep and it will be a scary ride. I've always heard to use a tow vehicle that weighs more than the total load you are towing. The short wheel base of the Jeep will hurt you too if you need to stop quickly.

A mile or two occasionally I would do. No way in heck would I go on long trips or the highway with it, not safe for you and your passengers or other people on the roads.

I've towed mine with my wrangler up to 10 miles and thats all I trust the car to do, and none of that was highway miles. It is pretty scary due to the fact that the boat is over twice the size of the jeep and stopping was a little bit of an issue. So if you were to do it I wouldn't want to go to far or for that fact on the highway with it.

But on the same note, one of my friends lives in NJ and and vacations in NH for the summer. He has a stock wrangler that he tows his 21 ft mastercraft back and forth at about 80 mph for the almost 5 hour ride. He's been doing it with the jeep for 5 years now and has yet to have a problem doing it, so I guess its just on the person and whether or not you are risky enough to give it a shot.

I don't think you would have a problem towing the Boat at all in a sthraight line. The thing you would have to worry about is trailer sway. I bet that VLX will whip that jeep around pretty good in a cross wind and on a bumpy or rought road. If it was me I don't tow with anything less then a 1/2 ton. Some states the police can take you to the scales for being over loaded.

Your dry boat and trailer are already OVER your limit. Add boat options, equipment, and fuel and you will be WAY OVER. My Jeep is rated to tow 5000# and I tow a RLXi w/SA trailer. If I had more boat, I'd need more truck.

I was all excited to get a new Rubicon this year.

Until i figured out it won't tow my VRide. It's just too much for the little jeep to handle. I wouldn't do it.

If you were stuck in a situation and had to, I have no doubts it would actually work, but I don't think you want to get yourself into that situation long-term, knowing that your main vehicle for towing is not adequate.

Get a truck or a Touareg.

I got a 1 ton dually. (454)

Edited by tj_in_kc

Last year I towed my Response with my Grand Cherokee which is rated to tow 6000 pounds. The Response pushed the Grand Cherokee around pretty good....you really knew the boat was back there. This year I upgraded to a 1/2 ton Suburban and you hardly know the boat it back there. I think you need a full size truck.

I had a 99 Sahara Jeep I pulled mine from the house to the ramp, which isn't a couple of miles. It was way over loaded and the boat would drag the Jeep down the ramp fairly easy if you weren't careful. The wife about launched the boat, trailer, and jeep all at one time. Surprised.gif

Last year I towed my Response with my Grand Cherokee which is rated to tow 6000 pounds. The Response pushed the Grand Cherokee around pretty good....you really knew the boat was back there. This year I upgraded to a 1/2 ton Suburban and you hardly know the boat it back there. I think you need a full size truck.

Surburbans, Tohoes ect are built on truck frames and drive and pull like a truck not to mention being able to take all you friends. Right now Surburbans are selling dirt cheep especially on the used market. Good luck finding a way to the lake but don't put the Ride at risk Yahoo.gif

REW

THANKS !!!!

get a used tow rig , then buy a used Jeep Rockon.gif . My Rubicon is a 2005 , that was wrecked HARD !!! I bought it from the guy who fixed it . Looks good drives like new . Got a smokin deal on it , and has a clear title . He did not report the wreck . So look for some used deals, might get 2 from the price of one .

I wouldn’t advise using such a small tow vehicle either.

Maybe get a cheap truck or SUV of the Suburban sort, you could find an old one for a song right now, put liability only on it and continue enjoying the Jeep if you have room to park another ride in the drive way.

I’ve got a 93 F350 Crew Cab 7.3L Diesel Dually/ tilt, cruise & cold air with 159,000 on it for a good price, she’s no beauty queen and could use a little TLC, but will pull near anything you hook to it very well. Whistling.gif

Good luck

I faced this same dilemma when i bought my 'bu in august, as I had a 97 TJ and knew mechanically the jeep could do it but was worried about the short wheelbase. I did some research and in the end decided that there was too much of a possibility of jackknifing if I had to stop in an emergency.

The verdict? I sold the jeep and purchased a 06 ford f-150. It only has a v-6 and 2wd but it's rated to tow 5600 lbs. It also only cost $12500, is under warrenty until 2012, and looks real mean hooked up to the boat.

My $.02, sell the jeep and get a truck, for your safety, the safety of your passengers, and for the sake of that sweet boat you're about to buy!

Edited by bimmerboy08

I wouldbe towin the boat the most an hour up north. i really dont wanna get rid of the jeep.. freakin love it. theres nothing like it. I feel that if the trailer has brakes it should be fine for short trips. well see what happens. i just need to get the boat!

Lots of advice telling you to do otherwise here. An hour drive seems like a lot of places to have an accident. And if your towing over capacity then your insurance won't cover a damn thing.... so any of your passengers can be hurt & have no medical coverage, and you end up in debt to anyone you hit. Not to mention any damage to your truck or boat.

Good luck.

I have an 06 Vride and would be afraid of towing it with a Jeep. I know the boat list as 3K but till you get all your gear and some gas in the boat it ends up being 3500 plus whatever trailer you get.

I might know of a boat for sale next spring Whistling.gif .

It cracks me up how many responses state the Jeep maybe ok for short trips but not long ones. Are short trips really that much safer than long ones Dontknow.gif ?

I used to pull my 92 Euro skier with a Wrangler 5 speed stick straight six. We pulled it all the way to Powell from Cali. It had plenty of power but stopping was challenging. The other scary thing was backing down a steep ramp, the weight of the boat wanted to take the Jeep with it into the water. Nothing worse than having the brakes locked up and being pulled backwards into the lake.

Looking back the Jeep was a less than optimal tow vehicle.

It's not so much that short trips are safer, but the longer you are on the road the more of a chance you face of having to stop short, make a quick turn, etc. It's either calculated risk or conventional wisdom depending on which side of the fence you are on with this one.

most state and local police can make you go to a scale or have a portable scale brought to you and will tow both vehicles and charge you for a hole list of very big fines don,t risk it its not worth it maine is cracking down heavy on stuff like this trying to create revenue if your truck or car goes down the road and your rear is sagging there going to get you

It cracks me up how many responses state the Jeep maybe ok for short trips but not long ones. Are short trips really that much safer than long ones Dontknow.gif ?

I used to pull my 92 Euro skier with a Wrangler 5 speed stick straight six. We pulled it all the way to Powell from Cali. It had plenty of power but stopping was challenging. The other scary thing was backing down a steep ramp, the weight of the boat wanted to take the Jeep with it into the water. Nothing worse than having the brakes locked up and being pulled backwards into the lake.

Looking back the Jeep was a less than optimal tow vehicle.

This is exactly what i was thinking... few months ago we were towing out our boat with a dodge durango that had a hemi. obviously, it had enough power, but the ramp was slippery and the back tires spun for a few seconds and we were scared it would slid down the ramp. luckily, it made it out