Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakeboard Boots

OLDGUY

I"m looking at buying some new boots. I have never tried on the new closed toe boots but thats what I'm leaning toward. My friend and I ride all winter and the closed toe boot sounds like the way to go. Problem is he wears a size 12 and I wear an 8 1/2. Can we get just one pair and what brand do you recommend? Thanks for any input.

I don't think you are going to find a good closed toe boot that will fit that range of sizes.

I tried on every single pair of boots in my size (12), both OT and CT at the pro shop when I bought mine and I ended up going with the LF Cab CT boots. Very comfortable for me.

What are the benefits of closed toe bindings versus open toe?

Seems like the closed toe bindings would really be painful when you wipe out and your toes get slammed into the closed end of your bindings.

TOP - you will not be able to find a pair of boots that will fit from 8 1/2 to 12 size foot. I am currently sportin a pair of LF watson OT and SS D2's. The LF boot has a slightly better footbed, very slight, but the SS will fit a wider foot better.

What are the benefits of closed toe bindings versus open toe?

Seems like the closed toe bindings would really be painful when you wipe out and your toes get slammed into the closed end of your bindings.

i've met plenty of people who HAVE them, NONE who PREFER them, and plenty who don't like the way they fit. I think they are just fine, but I'm not sure there's any true advantage. Also, it seems that when you go to really tighten them down, the toe kind of scrunches up and deforms a bit....I'm sure they perform the exact same....its just a style thing

I ride '08 transits, they've very comfortable and hold very well. They're open toe so you might be able to make it work for both of you. We ride in some pretty cold water in SE wisconsin (not yet though) and my feet are never the cold part until I take my bindings off!

Whoever asked about your toes jamming into the front, a guy that rides with us broke a toe a few weeks ago on something like that. I know people say "if they fit right that won't happen" but on my transits my toes shoot out the front every now and then. Maybe because I have narrow feet, but I am not down for the closed toe.

I've ridden both OT and CT bindings. My brother has some '07 Liquid Force Watson CTs. They're definitely comfortable, but they feel a little heavier to me when they absorb water. On my board I ride with '08 Liquid Force Watson OTs and they're awesome. Super lightweight and comfortable. As far as advantages and disadvantages go, I would say the CTs might be a little heavier and perhaps maybe would keep your foot in the bindings more often if you take a hard enough slam. Otherwise, I just personally like the OT type.

Your'e going to be hard pressed to find any higher end boots that will fit that range of sizes, especially in a closed toe.

I've tried wearing my son's Transit - he's an 8 1/2 and I'm a 10 - and while I could get them on and ride for a while, it was painful.

A closed toe binding is priceless in sub 65 degree water.

Johnsvt: Do they really make a big difference in cold water?

OLDMAN: I've got a couple buddies that ride the "TRANSIT" OT bindings, too, and they love em. I rock some old "HIGHBACKS" and I love em, but like everyone is sayn.....there is no way your gonna find a binding that fits both of you (comfortably). I would look at lower priced bindings (like the UltraSuctions or Highbacks) and buy two pairs.

The price is really not the reason I was wondering about both of us wearing the same boot. We have three wakeboards we both like to ride and its a pain in the a$$ to change the boots each time we ride. Right now we have 3 pairs of "Nice 13's". Problem is they are starting to fall apart. They don't make them any more so I can't get any parts for them. These are the best bindings I have ever had. I like the ratchet that goes across the ankle. Anything out there like that.

A closed toe binding is priceless in sub 65 degree water.

Johnsvt: Do they really make a big difference in cold water?

OLDMAN: I've got a couple buddies that ride the "TRANSIT" OT bindings, too, and they love em. I rock some old "HIGHBACKS" and I love em, but like everyone is sayn.....there is no way your gonna find a binding that fits both of you (comfortably). I would look at lower priced bindings (like the UltraSuctions or Highbacks) and buy two pairs.

Closed toe bindings are the equivalent of a wetsuit for your feet. I have ridden in 45-50 degree water and my feet are never cold in CT binidngs...my hands don't last long, though.

Agreed with Dizzy. Whoever is putting an 8 1/2 foot into the size 12 bindings is risking serious injury. If one foot comes out your liable to break a femur, blow a knee, etc. It doesnt make sense having three boards but sharing one? Plus bouncing around boards is a great way to limit progression.

Ohh yah, I LOVE closed toe'd bindings! Especially in cold water. I actually switched to Vantages for the summer but plan on moving back to One's this weekend.

Edited by Liquidmx

Coming from a snowboarding background I'm used to closed toe boots. When I began wakeboarding I rode some open toes and had a problem sliding out the front on hard crashes, but it was a nice free feeling while I was riding. I recently purchased a new setup and got some boots to match my snowboarding boots. I have very stiff snowboard boods, so I went with the stiff Ronix Cell boots, stiff boots just give me more ankle support, but are still comfortable.

Im from the school that believes that if your boots fit right, your toes wont slam into the front, they will just be more like an extension of your feet. Especially with heat molding of the insoles and J-bars, I dont think there is much of an argument that a closed toe boot will form to the foot better than an open toe. Plus they seem to be more comfortable. Heck, I wear my snowboard boots walking home from the slopes and dont mind stopping for a drink in them. Thats what I look for in a boot and it seems the Cell boot was like my Burton boots in that regard.... I havnt had a problem with my toes slamming into the front as long as i get my boots tight.

Has anybody ever researched what the ratio of pros that ride open toe vs. closed toe? Ive never seen a poll done.

Edited by Calexan

I dont think you should be sharing any binding CT or OT with teh size difference you guys have. They are either going to cut off the big fellas circulation or your going to end up with no support for your ankles.

Calexan is spot on. If they fit you right your feet wont move. i have never hurt my toes riding, laughed when i read it actually.

Ronix Boots are awesome. If you are buying new also look at the 2009 they have revented the binding, i wish i needed a new pair this year with the modifications they have made.

I ride 08 Ronix Cell Bindings, these are a stiff binding if you want a little less stiffer try the Ronix One boot. I have ridden both and they are the comfiest thing going around. Not to mention super light.

Yup, I love my closed toes. I also find more response as well. They also pack out like a snowboard boot so if your inbetween sizes I would size down and let them pack out a little.

I'm glad that someone has finally said that they pack out! The shop I bought them out had never heard of boots packing out and thought I was crazy when I told them I wanted boots with a little room to pack em out.

Glad that wakeboard boots do this also.....

My son and I both have 2007 LF Shanes with closed toes. I like that they don't have the same heal slip that I had from my '03 Parks which caused my toes to poke through too much after some jumps. They are much easier to get into and out of as well with the new liner materials than the older rubber lined boots I had before.

The people who are saying they never have an issue with coming out the front of boots, I'm just curious what your skill level is? Are you doing more than 1 or 2 inverts? anything more than a 3? When I do a wake jump and land my feet never so much as wiggle in my open toes (other than I can wiggle my toes). It's when I crash hard, and then it is rare but my feet do go out the front. Now, i have very narrow feet, so I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone. I'm just curious for people saying it's not an issue, how hard are you riding?

Yup, I love my closed toes. I also find more response as well. They also pack out like a snowboard boot so if your inbetween sizes I would size down and let them pack out a little.

What do you mean "Let them pack out a little"? The "Nice 13's" I have been riding have a ratchet across the ankle that I like. Are there any CT bindings that have this? I have twisted my ankles numerous times over the years and like the extra protection.

What do you mean "Let them pack out a little"? The "Nice 13's" I have been riding have a ratchet across the ankle that I like. Are there any CT bindings that have this? I have twisted my ankles numerous times over the years and like the extra protection.

SS D2's have an extra wrap that goes inside the boot made esp. for ankle support.

SS = Slingshot, their boots are quite nice from what I am told.

Packing out means to "break in" and get a little roomier. I wear a 9.5-10 size shoe and opted for size 9 Ronix Ones. I will be curious to see how long these boots last me. I am about to start on my 4th pair of bindings for this season....Grrrrrr.

Dizzy, I have come out the front of open toed boots on some really big tanny to reverts and TS frontrolls. I have yet to have an issue with CT boots (knocking on wood). I have talked to A LOT of people in passing and the ONLY time I heard of someone going out the front was by wearing a size too big boot. I wear my boots really tight, like snowboard boots. In fact I caught a TS edge on a HS BS 3, took a concussion and stayed in my boots. My feet DO NOT move in my boots and that's how I like them....although I have been diggin on the vantages this past summer for their Flexiness. In regards to how hard I ride: 2-4 days a week in the summer, probably 2-3 sets a day if I can. If I competed I would probably be in the lower end of the expert class and potentially Outlaw if I stuck a wildcard mobe (3's, 5's and about a 10 inverts if I chose to knock the dust off inverts and get upside down)