Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Interested in Purchasing a 99' Corvette Malibu Need Advice!

FLATOUT

Slider & I think that Gary's is a '99. Can't remember for sure though. I'd be happy to call & ask him tomorrow, since it's a local call for me & will just give me an excuse to call & harass them. :lol:

Thank you very much! I appreciate it! This board is super helpful you guys and girls obviously are very lucky to have a community this nice on the web.

Andy Wheeler

FLATOUT,

Welcome to the Crew from another corvetteforum brother (Rob 2K1). This is a great site with a great group of people willing to help out in any way possible. I'll keep an eye out for you on Conroe!

-Whoa

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• FLATOUT

• WakeGirl

• Ronnie

• 99response

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I actually looked at replacing my grenaded Callaway 383 with the LS7. The LS7 conversion for my first generation Vette boat was pegged at $30K due to the extreme change in dash, guages, wiring and tranny hookup required. The Hammerhead 383 conversion was $12K. The Vette boat now runs like a bat outta heck and for the money, I think I made the right decision going with a proven Indmar product. Just my two cents. Umm, rather, my savings of over $17K!

Yahoo.gif

Edited by Robert
Slider & I think that Gary's is a '99. Can't remember for sure though. I'd be happy to call & ask him tomorrow, since it's a local call for me & will just give me an excuse to call & harass them. :lol:

Thank you very much! I appreciate it! This board is super helpful you guys and girls obviously are very lucky to have a community this nice on the web.

Andy Wheeler

FLATOUT,

Welcome to the Crew from another corvetteforum brother (Rob 2K1). This is a great site with a great group of people willing to help out in any way possible. I'll keep an eye out for you on Conroe!

-Whoa

Hey Rob Small world! I will be moving into Grand Harbor in June of 2009 My folks have a waterfront lot on the main part of the lake there with three lifts and my place will be about 5 blocks back into the neighborhood. I will be keeping the boat there on the water I am hoping by doing some research now that I can find the right one so that when I am ready to purchase I can make a better buy.

I look forward to doing some vette stuff with the guys down there.

I am going to be photographing some vettes on the south side of town for the magazine so I will be busy running around with the vettes peeps. Anyways really looking forward to picking up one of these boats thanks for the response!

Andy Wheeler

I actually looked at replacing my grenaded Callaway 383 with the LS6. The LS6 conversion for my first generation Vette boat was pegged at $30K due to the extreme change in dash, guages, wiring and tranny hookup required. The Hammerhead 383 conversion was $12K. The Vette boat now runs like a bat outta heck and for the money, I think I made the right decision going with a proven Indmar product. Just my two cents. Umm, rather, my savings of over $17K!

Yahoo.gif

Awesome thats great information! I am surprised it is that intensive of a swap but hey thats why i'm asking questions.

So I guess my hope then is to find a vette boat for sale with an LS1 in it. I really just want something that will be reliable so I can take the girlfriend and family out on it. I enjoy turning wrenches but I don't want to get involved in a money pit either.

So was the only year this boat was produced with an LS1 the 2000 version?

Flatout,

It sounds like between the nautique and the Crownline you are covered, but I just wanted to emphasize that the hull on those boats is from a tournament boat. So it will be a really rough ride in anything over a foot or so waves. And the seating will be limited especially if you are pulling a skier. How big is the lake your going to be on?

On the flip side, there is not much that will handle and accelerate better. I love going out there by myself in mine are really getting on it. I would guess in a turn you can come close to pushing a G. I would be interested what all those engineers out there would say.

If you havn't ridden in a direct drive tournament boat I would try to do so.

Good luck

I searched Skier's Pier website and don't find the Corvette boat mentioned above, so maybe they don't have it anymore. But if they do have something and you want some local insight, I might be able to help a fellow 'vette brother out.

Just buy one of these new ones (link here) and it will match you car better. I'm sure there are a few dealers out there that are ready to deal on the one they have in stock.

Wish I could afford it, but the 99 will actually match my car as that was the C5 boat. The new one is based off the C6 which would be great but I just don't have that kind of coin to drop on a toy. I already have a houses worth in the Vette LOL.

I did call skiers pier and they do not have a 99 unfortunaley. I did speak with them about the boats though and he said they only made between 8 and 10 C5 vette boats in 2000 with the LS1 so finding one will be extremely tough so it looks like I will focus on 99's

Andy

If you really want it to scream, drop in an LS7.

That would be nice I think I would rather drop it in the vette though. 505 horse in a boat this size has got to be a wild ride.

I searched Skier's Pier website and don't find the Corvette boat mentioned above, so maybe they don't have it anymore. But if they do have something and you want some local insight, I might be able to help a fellow 'vette brother out.

Thanks so much for your help it is greatly appreciated!

Andy Wheeler

Here is a picture of Robert's dead 1997 Callaway Supernatural 383 Stroker motor. It's being immortalized by Tony at Waterski America with a custom engine stand and will have the "extra" motor box cover hinged to it. This is the additional motor box cover that came with his No. 1 VIN Corvette boat and contains the GM and Malibu plant guys autographs on it.

post-5-1224005597_thumb.jpg

Okay, just got off the phone with our dealer.

His is a '98 with the Callaway 383. It's blue with white interior & he thinks that it has less than 70 hours on it. It's all wrapped up & winterized, & because he's a dealer he doesn't get to take it out much at all (which is why he doesn't know the exact number). Not sure what he wants for it, I didn't talk price with him. It's got a bimini & the Corvette cover, but not a Corvette trailer.

I don't know if I'd get all hung up on getting a "C5" boat. The one in Ronnie's link sure doesn't look C5 except for oval'd tail lights. Lettering down the side, interior logos, trailer wheels....all C4. Doesn't look like they changed much unless there are things not shown in the pics (besides the LS1).

Just thought I would post some info I found out.

This is from the Callaway site and is obviously incorrect on the years.

http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway/main/...rojects/c10.htm

In 97 125 were built. In 98 I read that 75 were built. According to this guy only 150 were built between 97 and 2000. Numbers 142 - 150 being 2000's with the LS1 so the information is consistent.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/28003.html

So I guess that would mean 42 were made in 99.

This was from the Malibu website in 98.

Malibu Boats in cooperation with Indmar Marine Engines and Callaway Cars have developed, tested and produced a new intake manifold for the Monsoon 325. The new high performance intake manifold was developed for use in the new Callaway HammerHead 365 and the Monsoon 325. The new intake manifold provides unparalleled midrange performance with exceptional speed control and throttle response.

Callaway Hammerhead 365

Malibu Boats and Callaway Cars with marinization from Indmar Marine Engines have collectively developed the first production 350 cubic inch engine producing over 365 h.p. in the marine industry. The Callaway HammerHead high performance engine evolves from Callaway’s famed line of SuperNatural 383 engines for the Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and Impala. Using the same principles of tuned aspiration, the Callaway HammerHead is designed specifically for Malibu Boats and marine applications with ample horsepower and torque for the most demanding water skiing applications.

The Callaway HammerHead employs many of the components and techniques employed in Callaway’s Corvette engines. Each engine uses a unique profile roller follower camshaft with timing chosen for marine environment and giving quiet, reliable high performance. Specific, high stress components are replaced with high strength precision manufactured parts. Valve springs, seats and retainers are chosen to match the acceleration profile of the Callaway camshaft.

Each engine is carefully assembled at Callaway in Old Lyme, CT. The electronic engine management system is calibrated and tuned to complement the Callaway SuperNatural technique’s breathing improvements. Assembly is to Callaway’s high standards: HammerHead 365 marine engines are "built" not "produced".

Engine performance is remarkable: 366.2 bhp @ 5250 rpm, 375 lb-ft torque @ 4250 rpm. 90% of peak torque is available anywhere from 2500 rpm to redline.

So it looks like Callaway made the original version of the Hammerhead as well, and from what I remember, those had reliability issues as well.

This one is up North. Its a white 99

http://www.boatboss.com/boats/143_Minneapo...rs_Edition.html

Wow you guys actually found a 2000 for sale holy crap!

Thanks guys Damn too bad it's white, but it's got the LS1 which makes it a much better candidate!

Also they want a ton more money for that boat 39 as opposed to 28 for the others.

We will see If anyone runs into anymore of these for sale please by all means post the link in this thread! I really appreciate the time you guys are spending on this!

Yes and I agree about the C5 thing but I have an extra set of C5 wheels laying around the garage for the trailer and extra badges as well. I also have a friend in the industry that will redo the Corvette font on the side of the boat to match the C5 so your right it won't be hard to get it to were I would like it to be.

Thanks Everyone!

Andy Wheeler

Just thought I would post some info I found out.

This is from the Callaway site and is obviously incorrect on the years.

http://www.callawaycars.com/callaway/main/...rojects/c10.htm

In 97 125 were built. In 98 I read that 75 were built. According to this guy only 150 were built between 97 and 2000. Numbers 142 - 150 being 2000's with the LS1 so the information is consistent.

http://www.cars-on-line.com/28003.html

So I guess that would mean 42 were made in 99.

This was from the Malibu website in 98.

Malibu Boats in cooperation with Indmar Marine Engines and Callaway Cars have developed, tested and produced a new intake manifold for the Monsoon 325. The new high performance intake manifold was developed for use in the new Callaway HammerHead 365 and the Monsoon 325. The new intake manifold provides unparalleled midrange performance with exceptional speed control and throttle response.

Callaway Hammerhead 365

Malibu Boats and Callaway Cars with marinization from Indmar Marine Engines have collectively developed the first production 350 cubic inch engine producing over 365 h.p. in the marine industry. The Callaway HammerHead high performance engine evolves from Callaway’s famed line of SuperNatural 383 engines for the Corvette, Camaro, Firebird and Impala. Using the same principles of tuned aspiration, the Callaway HammerHead is designed specifically for Malibu Boats and marine applications with ample horsepower and torque for the most demanding water skiing applications.

The Callaway HammerHead employs many of the components and techniques employed in Callaway’s Corvette engines. Each engine uses a unique profile roller follower camshaft with timing chosen for marine environment and giving quiet, reliable high performance. Specific, high stress components are replaced with high strength precision manufactured parts. Valve springs, seats and retainers are chosen to match the acceleration profile of the Callaway camshaft.

Each engine is carefully assembled at Callaway in Old Lyme, CT. The electronic engine management system is calibrated and tuned to complement the Callaway SuperNatural technique’s breathing improvements. Assembly is to Callaway’s high standards: HammerHead 365 marine engines are "built" not "produced".

Engine performance is remarkable: 366.2 bhp @ 5250 rpm, 375 lb-ft torque @ 4250 rpm. 90% of peak torque is available anywhere from 2500 rpm to redline.

So it looks like Callaway made the original version of the Hammerhead as well, and from what I remember, those had reliability issues as well.

This one is up North. Its a white 99

http://www.boatboss.com/boats/143_Minneapo...rs_Edition.html

My dealer's personal boat is a Vette boat. He currently has it for sale. If you are interested I could get the details. (Oregon is a very long ways from TX though)

Joe

I would actually be interested!

Shoot me an email if you would.

[email protected]

I believe that that is a black one though, not red. It does look nice.

My dealer's personal boat is a Vette boat. He currently has it for sale. If you are interested I could get the details. (Oregon is a very long ways from TX though)

Joe

[email protected]

I believe that that is a black one though, not red. It does look nice.

Black would be in my wheel house as well I love that 2000 but it is white it would take a hell of a deal to get me to purchase that boat.

I will call on the black one.

Andy Wheeler

Joe

[email protected]

Call Gary at 541-475-2476, they're open for another hour. Tell him that Joe & Tracie sent you. :)

Spoke with Gary today what a Nice Guy! He is forwarding me some info on his vette!

Heres a red 97 with 150 hours in Macon GA. Looks nice

http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/1997/2...204/1887579.htm

Here is a red one that the shop selling it has no clue. They say its an 05 but its close to what your after. New Hampshire

http://www.independentmarine.com/used_boats.html

Heres another red 97 in Indiana

http://www.internationalmai.com/boat/dsp_v...ck=20Malibu1997

Heres a red 97 with 150 hours in Macon GA. Looks nice

http://www.usedboats.com/powerboats/1997/2...204/1887579.htm

Here is a red one that the shop selling it has no clue. They say its an 05 but its close to what your after. New Hampshire

http://www.independentmarine.com/used_boats.html

Heres another red 97 in Indiana

http://www.internationalmai.com/boat/dsp_v...ck=20Malibu1997

Thanks I sent an email to all of the owners. I am interested in the 05 LOL from New Hampshire. I called but they were already closed for the day.

Joe

[email protected]

Call Gary at 541-475-2476, they're open for another hour. Tell him that Joe & Tracie sent you. :)

Spoke with Gary today what a Nice Guy! He is forwarding me some info on his vette!

Yeah, I can't say enough about the whole family. Great people.

I dropped your name and he said yep I know those guys with a chuckle.

Joe

[email protected]

Yeah, I can't say enough about the whole family. Great people.