Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wakesurfing Wake: 09 VRide vs 09 VTX

Reto2001

Hallo, i´m actually a MC owner and want to buy a malibu next year.

I have read a lot of threads about the wakesurfing wakes of the malibu boats. Because of my small price range i have to decide between a 09 vride or a 09 vtx. The most important thing for me is only the wakesurf wake.

Do you think a 09 vride (old vlx hull) is better than a 09 vtx. the vride is larger AND cheaper. first choice for me??

Would be happy about some help of experienced malibu owners Biggrin.gif

Greetings from germany

Reto

I have read a lot of threads about the wakesurfing wakes of the malibu boats. Because of my small price range i have to decide between a 09 vride or a 09 vtx. The most important thing for me is only the wakesurf wake.

Do you think a 09 vride (old vlx hull) is better than a 09 vtx. the vride is larger AND cheaper. first choice for me??

Greetings from germany

Reto

I have an 06 VLX. I use Wedge, Side Ballast, Center Ballast, and Fat Sac in the rear locker and get this Wake:

Picture333.jpg

Edit: put picture back in

Keep in mind this is in 6.5 Feet, so it is better in deeper water. I haven't surfed behind the VTX, so I can't compare. I'm sure you would be happy with either, as long as you use enough ballast. PM me and remind me to put some deep water pics up, and I will try within the next few hours.

Edited by Jimmypooh

Greetings from germany

Reto

The '09 Vride will preform better than the VTX for surfing, keep in mind the '09 vride is the same hull as the '05-'08 VLX.

I was told the same thing by the dealership; not sure what that means though crisper, longer, bigger wake? In either case exta ballast will be required. I'm in a bit of a quandry right now myself between the vride and vtx. Great things are being said about the 09 VLX.

Well of course the ol’ adage applies drive and board/surf behind each one to know for sure what fits your needs. With that said yes the longer the boat the longer the sweet spot for surfing is going to be. So this means you’ll be able to surf the wake further back and have a larger wave to ride. The VTX is great if you live on a small lake and aren’t out all day w/ 6+ people, otherwise a VLX has more room and storage and performs better for surfing. If you really want the king surf wake then get the 247…. lol

While I’ve not surfed behind a ’09 VLX the general consensus is that it surfs better w/ stock weight and the chine lock is either eliminated or reduced greatly.

This was not part of the OP's question but does that hold true then for the wakeboard wake as well?

Yes, but you can add more weight beyond the stock wake and get closer to the VLX wake. Proper technique either boat you'll be able to preform any tricks. The imho the main difference between the two is surfing wake is larger and longer in the VLX.

Greetings from germany

Reto

FYI: We currently surf behind the 07 Vride and its perfect, no complaints....I cant imagine the new 09 Vride (with the bigger, deeper hull) wouldn't put out at least an equal surf wake. If the Vride's your first choice, get it! I ordered one, too!

These are probably the best ones I have of the wake:

IMG_3789.jpg

IMG_3796.jpg

I hope these help a little, but I would definately suggest getting out behind these boats. Most dealers wont mind pulling you.

LAKEPICS010-1.jpg

The VTX much more weight specific than the VLX or 09 ride either boat youll be happy with if there is ever anyone who may want to ski the little boat is the only way to go!

Edited by CRASH

Well, it's not stock, & we definitely don't have a diamond hull. :lol: Here's the rundown to achieve that wave behind a VLX:

Front (bow) MLS full - 350 lbs

Center MLS full - 500 lbs

Rear surf side MLS full - 200 lbs

Rear off side empty

Wedge down (we have the free floating wedge)

750 Pro X in rear surf side locker (it usually is about 2/3 - 3/4 full)

500 lb sack on surf side seat in cabin

Speed - 10.4

IIRC that day we had 4 adults & 2 kids in the boat, so a pretty light crew all things considered. If we have more people, then we ditch the bag in the cabin in the interest of seating. <disclaimer> We never run that kind of weight when we're in an area of homes/docks. You also have to be aware of how badly the boat's handling goes south. Have fun, but be safe doing it.

Crash you have nothing to complain about, its not the tsunami of WakeGirl though. Is that stock ballast, and which hull, diamond or wake.

I have a wake hull in those pictures thats a driver in the drivers seat (i say that because alot of time ill drive from observers seat) and one passenger factory bow,center and port rear ballast full i have a 800lb in port locker and a 400lb bag under port seats. I couldnt find pics but i now have added 1200lbs more its pretty awesome. When we load up the goofy side its huge but i dont do it very often almost everyone who rides with us are regular.

Edited by CRASH

Thanks a lot for all your help and the great pictures. Thumbup.gif

Of course you are alright that demo a boat would be the best thing. But the problem is: I live in germany - we have only one dealer and he has not every boat in stock to make a testdrive. I had the possibility to surf at a 2008 VTX (only with stock ballast) and the surf wake was ok. No chance to ride a 09 vride (or older vlx) at the moment... Dontknow.gif All people with an older vlx in germany have already winterized their boats.

So i have to decide between the vtx and the vride only with your help. Drool.gif

But if i take a look at all these pictures i think that both boats would give me fun Rockon.gif

Greetings from germany

Reto