Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

any luck??????

BlondieBlue

Has anyone actually had any luck selling their boat so far this winter? I have mine listed everywhere for a Best OFFer price. and im not getting anybites. just wanted to know if anyone else is having any luck. and has anyone sold thier boat last spring? how long did it take to sell, process, ect?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• peter19u

• BlondieBlue

• WakeGirl

• willvt1

One of the jobs I have here at TheMalibuCrew.com is to mark for sale ads as >SOLD< when the OP posts that the item has sold. The ad is then moved to the archive or deleted. Most years the boats on this website don't last long. This year I have not marked but a few boats as SOLD. Very few used boats have been sold any where in this economy and those that are have been really good deals for the buyer. Most people that had to buy with little or no down payment are finding themselves upside down in this market and not able to sell their boats for the money owed against them. Some have added so many high priced accessories that they can't get their $$ back by selling their boat since it's priced so high to recover that cost. Another problem for buyers is getting a used boat financed with out a lot of cash down plus it's historically the worst time of the year to sell. Not many people want to buy a boat at this time of the year and sit on it all winter while making payments.

To sell right now you will have to make somebody a very good deal to get them to move on it. I know your situation and feel for you but there's only a few options open and they're not good.

Little story

I listed my house boat last year in House Boat magazine for 6 months with a picture add as well as several other places where I had to pay to advertise. I had lots of calls. Somewhere I heard about boat trader.com I put it in there and 2 weeks later it sold. I asked the buyer if he saw it in house Boat magazine and he replied, "I'm not a houseboater so why would I have that magazine". This is when I realized that I advertised it in the wrong place. I am not saying this isn't the place to advertise. I am sure here is a great place to advertise but, I would think most of us already have a boat and with the economy the way it is, most of us are probabbly happy enbough with what we already have untill the economy changes.

Give Boattrader.com a try.

Good luck

boat trader is a good idea, that is where I found my boat.

also, have you tried eBay? it would get your ad out to a very large audience. Good luck.

Little story

I listed my house boat last year in House Boat magazine for 6 months with a picture add as well as several other places where I had to pay to advertise. I had lots of calls. Somewhere I heard about boat trader.com I put it in there and 2 weeks later it sold. I asked the buyer if he saw it in house Boat magazine and he replied, "I'm not a houseboater so why would I have that magazine". This is when I realized that I advertised it in the wrong place. I am not saying this isn't the place to advertise. I am sure here is a great place to advertise but, I would think most of us already have a boat and with the economy the way it is, most of us are probabbly happy enbough with what we already have untill the economy changes.

Give Boattrader.com a try.

Good luck

Sold a boat last year on Boattrader in one week at a good price for me. Although in this economy you are up against a wall. If you can hold out for a couple years you could probably sell it for the same price and still get to enjoy the boat.

Just my twocents

I started advertizing my 2004 LSV in Feb and finally sold it in Sept. The final price was 3-4K under where it would have been in a normal market. I heard from 1 serious buyer who laid down insane terms, 1 buyer who could not run a 23' boat on his lake due to restrictions, the eventual buyer, and 10 or so scammers. I also heard from several companies that claim to have ready buyers who are willing to buy my boat at more than my asking price if I was willing to pay the agency 199.00 up front. I put them in the same category as the scammers.

A friend of mine has been trying to sell a low hours 2008 VLX at a sweet price for several months now. No offers as of the last time I talked with him two weeks ago.

Can you deliver to Vermont? If so I'll take it!!

well if you are serious. yes we can talk about delivery.

This has definitely been a tough year for the used boats. I finally sold my Tomcat last week and it was a great deal for the buyer. Another issue for used sellers is that there is a lot of new inventory on the market as well that is being liquidated at fantastic pricing which makes a late model year used boat not quite as attractive. This year OnlyInboards saw a huge increase in traffic but it seemed like there were more tire kickers than buyers and I think that was just the market.

Ironically, before the "bailout plan" passed, there had seemed to be an influx in serious buyers and sales on the site. That trend has ended. The economy has just cut the number of potential buyers in the market and those that still plan on buying can now be patient for the amazing off season deal.

As an aside: Skyskier's boat was one of the most viewed boats on the site all season! It had like 4000 views or something crazy.

Edited by OnlyInboards
This has definitely been a tough year for the used boats. I finally sold my Tomcat last week and it was a great deal for the buyer. Another issue for used sellers is that there is a lot of new inventory on the market as well that is being liquidated at fantastic pricing which makes a late model year used boat not quite as attractive. This year OnlyInboards saw a huge increase in traffic but it seemed like there were more tire kickers than buyers and I think that was just the market.

Ironically, before the "bailout plan" passed, there had seemed to be an influx in serious buyers and sales on the site. That trend has ended. The economy has just cut the number of potential buyers in the market and those that still plan on buying can now be patient for the amazing off season deal.

As an aside: Skyskier's boat was one of the most viewed boats on the site all season! It had like 4000 views or something crazy.

Curious to opinions on how Malibu takes one years elite model (08 VLX) and turns it into the next years "entry" leve (09 V-ride) effects the re-sale value.

Curious to opinions on how Malibu takes one years elite model (08 VLX) and turns it into the next years "entry" leve (09 V-ride) effects the re-sale value.

It’s hardly an entry wakeboard level boat, it’s a premier boat just minus a few options to keep the price point down. Keep in mind most of the VLX’s from ’05-’08 will have more options than the ‘09 Vride. Anytime a new model year comes out it’ll have an effect on the pervious years line. Just look at the ’05 VLX and the ’05 Vride and track it up to ’08 and you’ll see the price point ratio hasn’t changed that much, just the market is forcing all prices to drop dramatically.

In August I was shopping heavily looking for a Response LXI. I found a nice Response LX nearby that I offered $22 grand on. He said no way in August. Then the market started crashing the day after labor day. Now he is calling back. My considerable stock holdings have taken a 25% hit. The 2 premium building lots that I own in the best development in town are deemed "sellproof" by the premier real estate broker ( a long time friend, saw her this morning) in our town. So those assets have turned into liabilities because of the county real estate taxes due in November. Of two of my friends that recently bought RLXI boats, who I saw both Friday and one fellow said he had his for sale now. This economic downturn is severe and will not be repaired soon. I own my house, 3 cars, boat and travel trailer outright and have no debt. I am scared. We are going into a recession and maybe a depression.

I had to sell a boat to buy my 09 LSV and I started trying to sell it at the beginning of the summer and it took all summer for it to go. I'm sure gas prices didnt help since I was selling a boat with twin 502's, but it took alot of work.

The best place I found that picked up alot of interest was actually ebay. Granted alot of the people that contacted, wanted to make trades (which were actually pretty good offers) I needed the cash to put down on my 'Bu. It was getting alot of looks on there too and didnt cost much to put on there.

• 2 weeks later...
One of the jobs I have here at TheMalibuCrew.com is to mark for sale ads as >SOLD< when the OP posts that the item has sold. The ad is then moved to the archive or deleted. Most years the boats on this website don't last long. This year I have not marked but a few boats as SOLD. Very few used boats have been sold any where in this economy and those that are have been really good deals for the buyer. Most people that had to buy with little or no down payment are finding themselves upside down in this market and not able to sell their boats for the money owed against them. Some have added so many high priced accessories that they can't get their $$ back by selling their boat since it's priced so high to recover that cost. Another problem for buyers is getting a used boat financed with out a lot of cash down plus it's historically the worst time of the year to sell. Not many people want to buy a boat at this time of the year and sit on it all winter while making payments.

To sell right now you will have to make somebody a very good deal to get them to move on it. I know your situation and feel for you but there's only a few options open and they're not good.

So true, I have my boat priced to sell. Was close, but the guy could not up with the down payment his bank required. Financing for both new and used boats is going to get damn tough, from everything I hear from multiple dealers. Had some bonehead said he found an 07 VLX for 41k and offered me the same. Good news is I don't have to sell the boat, but it will be tougher than previous years.

Last fall I purchased my current boat and decided to wait until spring to sell the boat I was replacing (even considering the extra winterizing costs and storage hassle of 2 boats). This past spring I sold my previous boat. I used BoatTrader.com and paid the extra to get a "better" add (cost was around $99). I listed the boat on a Thursday evening and had a deposit on that Saturday from someone located 2.5 hours drive from my home. The marina I go to for service offered to sell the boat for me for 10% but he also told me "you can easially sell the boat without my help - the way you care for that boat anyone who sees it will want it". [and no he is not the one who sold me my new boat]

After some consideration about what was important to me I decided to price it on the lower side of what the online bluebook said (it is interesting to note that the online bluebook indicated a value noticably greater than that indicated on the dealer's printed bluebook and in the end I got more than the dealer's bluebook indicated). I mostly held firm to my asking price (where "mostly firm" means that I did not want the buyer to feel that I was unreasonable, but I also wanted to make it clear that I was asking a very fair price and would not move much).

I should also note that in the 5 days it took to complete the transaction I received two more serious inquiries and both of these were from buyers located 3 or more hours drive from my house. Both of those people were willing to travel to my home to look at the boat. I had also placed a print add in the local paper and got NO responses to that add.

I'm actually shopping for a new boat right now and from the people I'm talking to I feel like I'm about the only guy in the country shopping for a new boat. It seems to be kind of a weird market. It seems like there are some deals coming from private party's, especially in the VLX market. There is a 07 VLX with around 200 hours for $41K in North Carolina, and a 06 VLX with around 100 hours for $37K in North Carolina. That has to be good deals on those boats, unfortunately for me they just don't work for what I need in a boat.

The financing also seems to have made the private market a little weird, because some people owe too much on there boats to sell and a lot of people who want to buy can't get financing right now.

As for the dealers, they seem to be taking different approaches to the slowdown. Some seem to be trying to be more aggressive and really work to move some boats, some just seem to be angry at the turn of the business and locking down on there pricing. I realize the boat business has been pretty good for a while, but unfortunately right now it is a tough market and the dealers are going to have to be a little more aggressive to move boats.

I was in the market for an inboard for ski purposes. I looked everywhere and found many deals. In the end it was www.onlyinboards.com that I found it on. There are many good boats listed on there. I ended up with a 2003 Sportster LX with monsoon, tower w/ stereo, cover, trailer with new tires/lights. Boat had 300 hours even on it, and I paid $16,000 after taxes and all. Dont know if that is a good deal or not, but I felt it was after some research.