Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Boatmate Trailer vs Performance Custom Trailers

ddeluca

I need some hands on solid advice about what I should do about my 2007 Boatmate trailer.

I'm offered 4 options from BoatMate Inc. and from my Malibu dealer.

***The most important question: Is BoatMate TANDEM Trailers a well built trailer and excellent to trailer your boat 60 +mph? If not, I will go to option 3 or 4....below.

Background: My Malibu boat I bought this summer was a used 2007 247 Wakestetter with a 2007 matched BoatMate TANDEM Axle trailer (My Dealer and I all thought the package was matched boat and trailer) Trailer sways at 60+ mph- VERY BAD SWAY.

I paid $3,400 for the used trailer (like new).

Boatmate trailer did not have the correct tongue weight for the 8.1 engine option my boat has and the trailer pulled ok till about 60 mph and then the entire rigging would sway very bad behind my truck.

Trailer axle are in the wrong position for the 8.1 engine option. BoatMate had

Boatmate offer the follow ing to me.

1. Keep the old trailer and make adjustments to it - i.e. Cut off and move the Axle in the location to have the correct tongue weight (this is the 8.1 option fix for the 247 trailer) No Charge for this.

2. Order a new BoatMate trailer standard - any color I want for the 2009 247 8.1 option. I need to Pay $2,600 - I get upgraded to todays LED lights, and new std features of the BoatMate Trailer.

My dealer offered the following to me.

3. Dealer will allow me to trade in my old trailer for a new Painted Aluminum Trailer 2009 from Performance Custom Trailers out of NY. Option upgrade disk brakes, torsion bars - I will need to Pay $2,400

4. Dealer will allow me to trade in my old trailer for a new Painted Aluminum Trailer 2009 from Performance Custom Trailers out of NY. Option upgrade disk brakes- I will need to Pay $2,300

Question: Are Torsion suspension better or worst for a boat this size and weight of 4,000 lbs?

I trailer my boat 6 times a year for about 2 hours highway mostly.

Here is a picture of the trailer/247 boat.

post-5867-1223493007_thumb.jpg

post-5867-1223493105_thumb.jpg

I like my 2007 Boatmate trailer. I would just have them adjust the trailer for free, if they are going to stand behind it and warranty the work. But I really think they should take back your old trailer, and build/give you the correct trailer for free.. Try and fight it a bit. It is not your fault, or have your dealer replace it. Its really there fault. they chose boatmate

Edited by lib135

Have BM fix it and be done with it.

I can count the problems we have had with BM trailers on one hand (we use BM and only BM)). In each instance, they went above and beyond to correct the problem. They will make it right.

My .02

Edit

Is it me, or is that a 247 RX trailer??

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

I had a BoatMate single axle trailer on my previous boat & it was a great trailer for the 5 years we owned the boat. Very steady towing as fast as I wanted to (never got much above 80 & spent most time around 65 - 70).

BoatMate was great to answer some questions I had about it & to get me a new axle after an unfortunate encounter with a fixed object in a parking lot (My wife still won't tow the boat).

I would just have them fix your current trailer and then take it to a separate shop and make sure the axles are parallel and are square to the trailer.

If you want great trailer handling the determining factor is the amount of percent of tongue weight you can put on your pickup.

If your pickup will handle 15% tongue weight that is the safest way to have a trailer that handles great at 65+ on curves. Frequent visitors to Shasta Lake on I-5 coming from the north know how important this is.

If you have a good full size pickup that is a 2500 or 3500 series then you can handle 800 or 1000 pounds of trailer tongue weight. If you have a half ton then maybe 500# would be more comfortable. I have a Duramax 2500 which is happiest with a heavy tongue weight. I actually moved my single axle 10 inches aft and now I can swing the steering wheel quickly (as a test) and the trailer just follows my 7200# truck down the highway. This is a big deal here in Central Oregon as we have mostly 2 lane highways and mountain passes when we go to Shasta, the Delta, McKenzie, or Portland. We spent 7 days at Billy Chinook this year but got 14 days at away destinations.

The truck is important. I do most of the towing for our friends because my Duramax is such a great tow rig. Dennis Prostar 197 single axle and Rick's double axle Sunsetter tow great behind my Duramax. No problem passing somebody at 75 mph when we get a straight stretch to go around. Plus with the fiberglass canopy we have a place to put wet vests, wetsuits, fenders, boat covers, and so forth.

Bottom Line: Move the axles back on the trailer so that your tow rig has more tongue weight on it.

I think Madman is on to something. So you are using your '07 trailer with your '09 boat or this issue also existed with your '07 boat too? Did BM say how far back it had to be moved?

I think Madman is on to something. So you are using your '07 trailer with your '09 boat or this issue also existed with your '07 boat too? Did BM say how far back it had to be moved?

It was the same issue on my 2007 and 2009 boat.. Same size and engine 8.1 option.

BM said approx. 7 inches back the axles have to move. I also measured a BM trailer for a new boat w 8.1 and got the same conclusion.

So there would be 3 axle positions for the same 247 hull?

I would just have BoatMate fix it.

There should be at least 3 postions.. Each BM trailer is built to match the type of boat.. 247 w 8.1, 247 w std eng, 247 rx, others???sunscape?

The boat and trailer are used, and purchased that way, Boatmate really has no responsibility to do anything about it. That they are offering to change it is great. I'd just have them change it.

Do you still own the 2007?

The trailer from Performance is Aluminum??? When did they start building aluminum trailers?

Let BM fix it. Why spend more $ if you don't have to.

Why is that boat on that trailer. Was it originally a mismatch or ... ?

I had a new 2002 Searay on a new Zeiman and it was a horrible setup even thou they told me it was matched. Took it to Zeiman and they immediately made it right. Moved the axles, replaced the winch, ... . Worked wonders. I suspect yours might be a similar problem.

Good luck with what appears to be a trailer manufacturer that really cares.

Towing is very important to me I tow doubles and I love the boatmate trailer both of the boatmate trailers I have had have been very reliable.

If the previous owner or dealer put it on a trailer with the wrong axle location because it was designed for a different style of boat (DD vs Vdrive) their is no way you as a consumer would know the difference. Did you buy it from the original dealer who ordered the boat from the factory? If so even if you are not the original owner they are the experts and should make it right. If it is a trailer built for a RX then I would have the dealer order you a new trailer built for an LSV and let the dealer but this trailer on an RX like it was designed.

It does not look like a Boatmate problem it looks like a mismatch problem from the dealer.

I would have a hard time living with a patch job after spending so much $$ on a quality product.

Give Boatmate a chance to modify the trailer.

As far as it being a patch job, Boatmate built the trailer, they have the people and equip to make it look just like a 'new' trailer they would manufacture, even after cutting some welds loose and repainting. I'd worry if they told me to take it to the local trailer guy/fab shop. The end results would probably not be to your liking.

Boatmate is a stand up company...they will make you happy (and that option won't cost you anything)

Plus1.gif

Give Boatmate a chance to modify the trailer.

As far as it being a patch job, Boatmate built the trailer, they have the people and equip to make it look just like a 'new' trailer they would manufacture, even after cutting some welds loose and repainting. I'd worry if they told me to take it to the local trailer guy/fab shop. The end results would probably not be to your liking.

Boatmate is a stand up company...they will make you happy (and that option won't cost you anything)

The 2007 Boat and Trailer came from the Factory which both were in used condition.

I really do not know how the 2 pieces came together except my dealer saw the 2 on the Factory inventory site in TN.

The 2007 Boatmate trailer is USED and shows it with issues like worn tires, hindge tongue loose, brakes worn, Rug cut and worn, Same oil in hubs not changed, 2 years of what I think was hard use.

After hearing how much you the BM owners like the trailer, I am opting for a new 2009 BM trailer for $2,600.

I figure I get all the new features of the new BM trailer for my new 2009 boat and a new warrantee.