Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Cold weather skiing best practices

lewistonskier

I'm a newby to cold weather skiing. Highs of the day up here are in the high 60's and and low 70's and the water temp is in the low 60's. I already have a wet suite, but was wondering what other essentials there are for a day out on the lake this time of year. Thanks.

I'm a newby to cold weather skiing. Highs of the day up here are in the high 60's and and low 70's and the water temp is in the low 60's. I already have a wet suite, but was wondering what other essentials there are for a day out on the lake this time of year. Thanks.

As the water & air drops, here's what works for me:

Neoprene long sleeve top until water in low 60s. Then usually air has dropped here as well and I switch to the dry suit. I ski better in the dry suit than chilly in a wet suit/top. I sold my full wet suit as I found that the dry suit is more comfortable & allows plenty of freedom.

As it gets colder, I wear thin latex gloves under my ski gloves and a swim cap on my head to keep my hands/head warm.

Hot water in my hard shell boots keeps the feet warm for a set of 6 passes.

If you are going out for the day on the lake, hot water shower (or quick connect off the block and a bucket!) & heater are a must...

Edited by Addictedto6

Well, welcome to Oregon......oh wait your in Cali.:) 3 things i do when its cold/cool out: 1. Stretch out a lot. 2. Bring lots of warm clothes/towels for when you get out. 3. DON'T wear warm clothes or run the heater in your rig on the way to the lake or before you ride (the water will seem way colder if you do). I swam competitively for years and if the water was gonna be cold the WORST thing you could do is get all toasty warm before you dive in!

Sounds like summer! Ride like theres no tomorrow!

Highs of the day up here are in the high 60's and and low 70's and the water temp is in the low 60's.

Cold weather eh??? We were out this past Saturday, the air temp was 43 and the water was 55....that's the beginning of what we consider cold water skiing. In all seriousness, I'd invest in a dry suit...depending on how cold it gets in your area. I tend to like the "hybrid" style drysuit (O'Neil Assult). This type has neoprene on the bottom and a loose fit style on the top. I typically wear anything from a t-shirt down to a sweatshirt underneath. It's also nice to have a heater in the boat with a blanket for the tootsies.

I'm sure others will chime in as well.

I like wearing my O'Neill baggy style Boost drysuit when it starts getting real cold. I like being able to wear some loose warmups and either a long sleeve tshirt or a sweatshirt if it gets real cold and then being nice and toasty dry after finishing my set. The heater in the boat helps as well.

I know that many slalom skiers like the hybrid with the neo bottoms as they feel that it helps their skiing, but I've been happy with the baggy style for both skiing and wakeboarding.

I don't have a dry suit, so on those cold mornings I take a cooler full of HOT water. I dip the wet suit in the hot water before putting it on. I may be crazy, but this really helps when you first get in the water...

I may be crazy, but this really helps when you first get in the water...

I don't think you're crazy.

When conditions are borderline, like now, I put a heater shirt on with short suit before going out in the boat. With sweats over them, the neoprene warms to body temp and is better when first getting in the water.

If you haven't tried it, wear a neoprene hood--makes a MAJOR difference in chilly air. I also do the latex gloves under the ski glove thing, it helps.

I keep neoprene socks in a small, insulated drink bag with a warm corn bag. These don't fit into my bindings, but they help restore circulation to my feet after skiing!

If you haven't tried it, wear a neoprene hood--makes a MAJOR difference in chilly air. I also do the latex gloves under the ski glove thing, it helps.

I have a hood (actually the one with a full neck) and don't really like it for slalom skiing. The water gets trapped around the neck and the wind whistles like crazy. I switched to the swim cap and like it much better. But either are better than a cold air brain freeze!

I have a hood (actually the one with a full neck) and don't really like it for slalom skiing. The water gets trapped around the neck and the wind whistles like crazy. I switched to the swim cap and like it much better. But either are better than a cold air brain freeze!

Yeah, I cut the neck off mine. It comes down over the drysuit seal and doesn't trap water.