Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Got a set behind the mystery boat...

edwin

I skied at 15' off, 30mph to see how it'd be for the wife. Nice and smooth for crossing at an easy pace. Take it up a notch however and put that ski on edge and you'll be airborn climging that 7-8" wake up on the table. Bumping the speed to 34mph at 15' off didn't help..still a huge wake. Shortened it up to 22' off, 34mph...still had at least a 5-6" bump to get on top of the table, still behind the rooster tail. 28' off, 34mph puts you right in the middle of the middle of the shin high rooster tail. Wanted to shorten it up some more but the rope was already interfering with the Illusion X tower at 28' off. Another characteristic of the wake was regardless of the rope length, there was a decent sized valley just outside the wakes, making the wake seem even bigger.

As far as driving goes, the new SLXi drives like you'd expect a 3500 lb boat to drive. It's numb to steering input compared to a RLX, RLXi, or older SLXi. It takes a good crank of the wheel to get it to respond.

Holeshot was no better than my 01 SLXi. Both my wife and I commented that there was no way we'd trade our 01 for the 2005 SLXi...now a RLXi, that's a different story.

I'm not Edwin, but I have driven two '05 RLXi promos. IMO, there is no competition from a driving standpoint. The 2 MC 197s I have been in this year have vibrated and driven like tanks. Haven't driven an '05 Nautique, but the Nautique is only good for slalom anyway. The LXi is easily the best all around 3 event boat out there. It skis great.

It sounds like those of us who have the 99-04 SLXI's have an investment now and not just a hole to throw money into! Maybe I should cash in a CD and INVEST in another one? I wonder what the CFO would think of that one.

I guess I'm glad I still have my '01 SLXi.

I was looking to trade to an '04 RLXi last year. Although it is a better slalom boat, it does not get as much wake for the wakeboarders with the wedge down as mine. It has less storage and you set much lower to the floor. Also the issue with the water over the bow. Now, I'm a good driver and could most likely avoid that situation, but I am not always the one driving.

Looks like I will be keeping mine awhile longer.

Funny you should ask Andy, as we just spent this past weekend using 2 Thumbs Up's 03 RLXi. We wanted a great real world comaprison so we left the 01 SLXi home and loaded up the 2 Thumbs Express and used it as we would have our own.

Initial impressions before we even left the dock - feels smaller (due to lower free board), less storage space, the drivers seat feels like it's on the floor, and man is that windshield frame in a bad spot for the observer.

I've already skied the boat before, was the wife's first time. Best way to sum it up - take my 01 SLXi wakes and put em on a diet. The 15' off / 30mph wake for Mrs. Edwin was great, same shape as ours but noticeably smaller. I took a set at 22' off / 34 mph, noticed the wake is smaller and much softer than mine at the rooster (if there is such a thing on the RLXi). 28' and shorter is as good as any boat I've skied.

Driving the RLXi vs SLXi - Respone is hands down a better boat. It tracks better, responds better / quicker to steering and throttle inputs, turns much tighter, and comes out of the hole much, much better than my SLXi. We were pleasantly surprised to find the RLXi handle rough water as good as our SLXi. I didn't find the low nose to be a problem at any time.

Recap w. the family after the weekend - not once were we wishing for more storage space (we did have two skis and a wakeboard up on the tower), the seating space and walk around room is as good as the SLXi, after being in it a bit we didn't notice the low(er) freeboard. Only real beef the wife had was the windshield by the observers seat.

All in all, it's the RLXi would be a perfect boat for us.

While I have issues with the Rlxi, I don't think there's much alternative out there when it comes to a family ski boat.

For my family, the future will most likely hold either a Rlxi or keeping the Rlx and purchasing something else for my family to hang out and spend time on.

edwin - they moved the windshield forward and up on the 04' RLXi. You can still hit your head on it if you sit in the far corner of the observers seat. I don't have any issue with the windshield frame but, my wife always drives with the flip-up bolster.

After the tourney we pulled in Steamboat this last weekend I don't think anything compares to the RLXi.

Dwayne

Wanted to ski behind FijiRob's 21 LSV this weekend to compare the wakes but never got a chance. Simply judging by how much more boat is above the water I'd have to speculate that the wakes are harder. I had our 01 through 22 off at 34 MPH this weekend immediately after skiing the same speed/length behind a Response and was extremely pleased with how little difference I could feel.

Funny you should ask Andy, as we just spent this past weekend using 2 Thumbs Up's 03 RLXi.  We wanted a great real world comaprison so we left the 01 SLXi home and loaded up the 2 Thumbs Express and used it as we would have our own.

Initial impressions before we even left the dock - feels smaller (due to lower free board), less storage space, the drivers seat feels like it's on the floor, and man is that windshield frame in a bad spot for the observer.

I've already skied the boat before, was the wife's first time.  Best way to sum it up - take my 01 SLXi wakes and put em on a diet.  The 15' off / 30mph wake for Mrs. Edwin was great, same shape as ours but noticeably smaller.  I took a set at 22' off / 34 mph, noticed the wake is smaller and much softer than mine at the rooster (if there is such a thing on the RLXi).  28' and shorter is as good as any boat I've skied. 

Driving the RLXi vs SLXi - Respone is hands down a better boat.  It tracks better, responds better / quicker to steering and throttle inputs, turns much tighter, and comes out of the hole much, much better than my SLXi.    We were pleasantly surprised to find the RLXi handle rough water as good as our SLXi.  I didn't find the low nose to be a problem at any time.

Recap w. the family after the weekend - not once were we wishing for more storage space (we did have two skis and a wakeboard up on the tower), the seating space and walk around room is as good as the SLXi, after being in it a bit we didn't notice the low(er) freeboard.  Only real beef the wife had was the windshield by the observers seat. 

Perhaps why the SLXI was changed was because of this sediment.

Funny you should ask Andy, as we just spent this past weekend using 2 Thumbs Up's 03 RLXi.  We wanted a great real world comaprison so we left the 01 SLXi home and loaded up the 2 Thumbs Express and used it as we would have our own.

I've already skied the boat before, was the wife's first time.  Best way to sum it up - take my 01 SLXi wakes and put em on a diet.  The 15' off / 30mph wake for Mrs. Edwin was great, same shape as ours but noticeably smaller.  I took a set at 22' off / 34 mph, noticed the wake is smaller and much softer than mine at the rooster (if there is such a thing on the RLXi).  28' and shorter is as good as any boat I've skied. 

Driving the RLXi vs SLXi - Respone is hands down a better boat.  It tracks better, responds better / quicker to steering and throttle inputs, turns much tighter, and comes out of the hole much, much better than my SLXi.    We were pleasantly surprised to find the RLXi handle rough water as good as our SLXi.  I didn't find the low nose to be a problem at any time.

Recap w. the family after the weekend - not once were we wishing for more storage space (we did have two skis and a wakeboard up on the tower), the seating space and walk around room is as good as the SLXi, after being in it a bit we didn't notice the low(er) freeboard.  Only real beef the wife had was the windshield by the observers seat. 

Why not discontinued rather than changed? The new one appears to fill the needs of just about nobody.

Why not discontinued rather than changed? The new one appears to fill the needs of just about nobody.

For the buyer who just can't force himself to like the XTi seating arrangement. Sounds like they serve the same purpose though. Party barge first, ski boat second. Cry.gif

I know I feel the same way. The 01'-04' years was the perfect boat why they didn't just put the RLXI lower end on it I don't know.

btw edwin, that's your most disturbing avatar yet. That boat gives me nightmares... almost as bad as the ones it gives its owners. Biggrin.gif

Edited by UWSkier

Thumbs and crew are headed to the TN factory for a tour on Friday....first question on my list: How many 05 SLXi's were produced and how many are still sitting on dealer's lots?

Thumbs and crew are headed to the TN factory for a tour on Friday....first question on my list:  How many 05 SLXi's were produced and how many are still sitting on dealer's lots?

Ask them if you can buy the molds for the older LSV and LXi. That might get their attention. Crazy.gif

My '03 windshield and Maliboo's '05 windshield do sit in a different spot from the drivers vantage point. I am not disturbed by either one but do notice a difference from one boat to another.