Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

SEAFOAM

My RLX with Monsoon and 500 hours runs great. I've never used any additives to the fuel or oil per the Indmar manual. I have a gearhead friend that recommends occasional SEAFOAM use. Does any one have any opinions on SEAFOAM?

My RLX with Monsoon and 500 hours runs great. I've never used any additives to the fuel or oil per the Indmar manual. I have a gearhead friend that recommends occasional SEAFOAM use. Does any one have any opinions on SEAFOAM?

Seafoam is a cheaper version of GM top engine cleaner. The stuff works great!! The best way that i have found to use it is to buy 2 cans and pour half a can in the oil, let a vacume hose suck up the other half in the engine (slowly, listen to the engine and dont let it bog down till it dies) when it is all gone shut the engine off. With a half tank of gas pour the other can in the gas tank. Let your motor sit for aleast 20-25 min and fire it up to burn off all the carbon that was sitting on the valve and piston tops. It will smoke like a train for about 15 min or so, rev the engine a few times to help loosen and blow out some carbon buildup and smoke. Only put it in the oil if you plan on changing the oil, no more than and hour on the motor with the seafoam in the oil.

I'm not bothering with anything, just checking out my gearhead friends opinion.

My RLX with Monsoon and 500 hours runs great.

Why bother with anything then?

I heard it can cause problems if you don't use the seafoam right. If I were you, I'd try it on your gearhead friends car (or his parents) first.

Maybe txwakejunkie can tell you what vacuum hose to use, if you do try it.

The one from the power brake booster / master cylinder.

I'm not sure I'd run it thru an engine with only 500 hrs on it. But it might be worth mixing in your fuel from time to time.

This time of year I start mixing Stabil in my fuel regularly. I never know when my last time out will be so whenever it is, the gas will be ready & I just have to drain the water.

The one from the power brake booster / master cylinder.

I'm not sure I'd run it thru an engine with only 500 hrs on it. But it might be worth mixing in your fuel from time to time.

This time of year I start mixing Stabil in my fuel regularly. I never know when my last time out will be so whenever it is, the gas will be ready & I just have to drain the water.

No, would never use it on a motor that ran great! Why would you even consider it? 500 hours on that motor is nothing. Great idea using it on your friends car first! Rockon.gif

Edited by awilco
  • 3 weeks later...

a lot of crap here..

Seafoam is a petrolum based product so it will run through your motor very clean.

there should be no really noticable smoke with it.

as far as running it in the oil, I don't see the need for that, unless it was in fact a very high mileage motor. but in that case its not a miracle product and won't cure any problems you have.

you don't have to run it as an engine treatment, just as a supplement for poor gas.

I put a 1/2 can to 1 can in my tank at the beginning, middle and end of season.

I also use the deep creep spray lubricant that is by far the best penetrating oil I've ever used!!

all in all its an excellent product

I just did a full Sea Foam treatment on my truck this weekend. I put a can in the gas, and another can split 2/3 between the crankcase and the upper intake as well as soaked the throttle body with Deep Creep. I drove it pretty aggresively and then changed the oil after 200miles...it was black with carbon.

There is an awesome website for DIY Chevy trucks (especially engine maintaince) www.FullSizeChevy.com

a lot of crap here..

Seafoam is a petrolum based product so it will run through your motor very clean.

there should be no really noticable smoke with it.

as far as running it in the oil, I don't see the need for that, unless it was in fact a very high mileage motor. but in that case its not a miracle product and won't cure any problems you have.

you don't have to run it as an engine treatment, just as a supplement for poor gas.

I put a 1/2 can to 1 can in my tank at the beginning, middle and end of season.

I also use the deep creep spray lubricant that is by far the best penetrating oil I've ever used!!

all in all its an excellent product

Is that the one they used in the movie "Brokeback Mountain"? Dontknow.gif