Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

ever have one of those moments?

malibuboats4

ever have one where you feel so dumb you just want to laugh at your self until you fall over? i did today. i was boarding and my friend was pulling me. rain and thunder was moving down our way, it was really watch to come near us. i wanted to get back to the dock before it his us, so i finished my last run and thought i would be able to time the rain just perfect that it hit when we got back to the dock. so my firend turns of the boat and i get on and in. i tell him to turn it on and drain the tanks while i got the wedge. he tries but nothing happens, at that point i freaked. the rain came closer and closer and eventually hit us and i couldnt figure out what was wrong. the engine didnt turn over or do anything when i turned the key. it started to POUR on us and i was mad that the boat was going to be so wet. so we sat there for 10 minutes turning the batteries on and off, looking at the engine to try and see what was wrong. so i get out my phone to call teh coastguard to rescue us since no one else was out. as im on the phone with them, i see that the throttle is in reverse and think, hmmm thats funny. i felt like such an idiot at that point. of course, i put it back at the neutral position and it starts right up. one of those stories where you feel like such an idiot but cant help but laugh at yourself.

A few years ago I backed the boat in the water with my wife and her brother in it. I expected to come back from parking and the wife would nose up to the dock and I'd step aboard.

I come back and see that they had pushed to the end of the dock but not left. The ramp was busy and they were in the way. I was greeted by a wife with a BIG S-eating grin and batting her eyelashes at me like she really screwed up....

Boat would not start. It would crank all day but not fire. I check fuses, pull the clam shell off looking for disconnected wires, I spent over 45 minutes looking for possible causes.... Now I'm Mad.gif !!! I was just about to throw in the towel when I knelt on something that hurt like hell.... It seems that when my lovely bride was trying to start the boat, she accidentally pulled off the "red safety lanyard" and forgot about it.... I don't think Mrs. Faceplant said a thing all day.

I almost wanted to laugh.....

Pat

A few years ago I backed the boat in the water with my wife and her brother in it. I expected to come back from parking and the wife would nose up to the dock and I'd step aboard.

I come back and see that they had pushed to the end of the dock but not left. The ramp was busy and they were in the way. I was greeted by a wife with a BIG S-eating grin and batting her eyelashes at me like she really screwed up....

Boat would not start. It would crank all day but not fire. I check fuses, pull the clam shell off looking for disconnected wires, I spent over 45 minutes looking for possible causes.... Now I'm Mad.gif !!! I was just about to throw in the towel when I knelt on something that hurt like hell.... It seems that when my lovely bride was trying to start the boat, she accidentally pulled off the "red safety lanyard" and forgot about it.... I don't think Mrs. Faceplant said a thing all day.

Pat

Had a issue with the red lanyard myself a few years ago, since then it stays in the glove compartment.

Had a issue with the red lanyard myself a few years ago, since then it stays in the glove compartment.

Plus1.gif

Mine is in my tool box ever since I swapped the connectors at the back of the switch.

It takes a big person to post a story like that on a website..........I would NEVER tell the story about when I got dropped in the water driving a friends boat, in a crowded boat launch, on a 100 degree day and couldnt get the boat started( because the safety lanyard was not connected) Cursing his boat Ranting.gif and sweating my a$$ off, I paddled my way through 10 boats back to the dock Help.gif Only to have my buddy jump in the boat, connect the lanyard and drive off........NEVER. Whistling.gif

Pat

Lesson learned on that one. Bought gas at Hills Resort while on vacation. Guy is waiting for me to move. Hop in, check fumes, turn key, nuthin. Check a few things, everything looks ok, still nuthin. Take a second look at the lanyard and it is pulled just enough out that the kill switch was activated, but the coiled laynard had not come off. Needless to say fired right up after that!

Edited by TheBlackPearl

How bout having the whole family out on the river. So a full boat. Go to start the boat and nothing happens. Boat has maybe 20 hours on it. Man, I can't believe this is happening. Then I remember posts from here of people having problems starting when the lanyard was pulled out. So I go looking for the lanyard. Spend at least 5 minutes trying to find it. Just so you know... 07 vRides don't have a lanyard! Boat was in reverse... :)

I did this about a month ago. Have been driving a malibu for 14 years now, I know better. We checked batteries, started digging around in the engine...about 10 minutes of panic...and then I said "oh nevermind" ugh...sad

Earlier this summer, my buddy jumped in the water, windy day, and we're headed towards a swampland that I don't want to be anywhere near. The boat won't turn over and my stomach starts feeling really sick. After a couple minutes of panic, I realize the boat was still in gear.