Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fischer skis

VinRLX

Hey guys, just wondered what the latest is on Fischer skis--haven't heard anything about them lately. Last I knew Jodi was the (only?) way to get them, but there was quite a waiting time.

I'm also wondering what you have experienced or heard about the ski's performance and/or how it compares to other skis. I see there are usually a couple listed on SIA, so not everybody who gets one decides to keep it.

And for you slalom gurus, any advice?

I'm currently on a 2005 D3 X5, but have only been able to achieve minimal use due to herniated discs. I do like it and am sure it has far more potential than I have been able to realize thus far, but will take any advantage I can get--especially coming back from the injury. The folks I ski with have gone from O'Brien or Connelly to Goode (9500, 9700) and have all improved immediately as a result (while I have been relegated to the driver seat Cry.gif ). I am currently considering the following, if I were to go with something different: D3 Nomad RCX, Goode 9800 SL, Fischer #01.

Thoughts?

MalibuNation
Hey guys, just wondered what the latest is on Fischer skis--haven't heard anything about them lately. Last I knew Jodi was the (only?) way to get them, but there was quite a waiting time.

I'm also wondering what you have experienced or heard about the ski's performance and/or how it compares to other skis. I see there are usually a couple listed on SIA, so not everybody who gets one decides to keep it.

And for you slalom gurus, any advice?

I'm currently on a 2005 D3 X5, but have only been able to achieve minimal use due to herniated discs. I do like it and am sure it has far more potential than I have been able to realize thus far, but will take any advantage I can get--especially coming back from the injury. The folks I ski with have gone from O'Brien or Connelly to Goode (9500, 9700) and have all improved immediately as a result (while I have been relegated to the driver seat Cry.gif ). I am currently considering the following, if I were to go with something different: D3 Nomad RCX, Goode 9800 SL, Fischer #01.

Thoughts?

Is this the same Fischer Company who makes or made snow skis?

I've heard they rock but are insanely expensive.

The X5 you're on is a great turning ski but is slow.

Don't know a lot about the Goodes.

The HO A1 sounds like it's possibly my next ski. Monza-like speed with X5-like turn symmetry. The Monza is an on-side ski but is finickier on the off-side.

I've heard they rock but are insanely expensive.

The X5 you're on is a great turning ski but is slow.

Don't know a lot about the Goodes.

The HO A1 sounds like it's possibly my next ski. Monza-like speed with X5-like turn symmetry. The Monza is an on-side ski but is finickier on the off-side.

The guys I ski w/ love the A1, and stated it's also much more stable than the Monza w/o sacrificing performance.

I went from the X5 to the RCX this year. Didn't increase ball count immediately and drastically, but matched my PB at our site the first day on it and improved consistency a lot throughout the season. Now hitting (or beating) last year's PB every time on the water. Much faster ski, and only a tiny bit less forgiving of less-than-perfect form.

Haven't skied on the Goode or Fischer, but hear great things about the performance of both. Also hear of terrible customer service after the sale from Goode, and that the Fish is very difficult (if not impossible) to get.

The Fisher is an excellent ski, had the opportunity to ski it at the Independent Ski Tests. It appears the manufacturing side of it has been suspended for a while, but should resume. The source for the ski is Jodi Fisher. The ski is a very high quality ski.

In my opinion, it has a very high performance level, very similar to a Goode but a bit more stable. The RCX is also very good, but I felt a little slower than the Fisher and Goode skis. The Fisher, Goode and D3's were my favorite from the test.

The Fisher is a great ski and those that have them tend to really like them, I would gladly trade my 9800SL for an Orange fisher but I probably wouldn't go through with it because you just can't get them on a drop of a hat. The story I've heard from the big dawgs is that they are constructing a new factory to make the waterskis and something else and that has not been completed. It's supposed to be complete in the spring of 09 and then they will be able to make all the skis we want. That's what I heard and I can't vouch for the source.

The RCX- great tuirning ski and surprisingly fast. This may be the little ski that could... I liked it and could learn to ski very well on it but I already had my 9800SL which seems to be more comfy with taking speed into the turns.

Fisher- awesome ski! This feels very slippery in the water but holds it's edge incredibly well. No mater how bad a shape I entered the turn the ski always finished the turn ahead of me and all I had to do was resist thru the wakes and I was back in the pass.

9800SL- great ski and the one I ride. This ski has way more buoys in it than I do and I'm getting to the 3 ball at 39 regularly. Some have complained that the skis break and get beat up and break down but, that's not been my experience. My ski is just as good now as the first day I rode it. When I was at the Big Dawg in Austin there were many more goodes on the water then any other ski, probably 3 goodes to one other brand.

A1- This ski seemed alright but nothing special. The ski is very insensitive to front loading, I could jump all over the front and it didn't make much difference. I didn't find that it held any better angle than other skis I've ridden and it seemed to require more effort on my part to get to point A to point B. So much so that after 5 sets on the A1 I went back to my 9800 and over shot the gates because I was used to the ski not gliding.

Only my .02, so take what seems right to you and disregard the rest...

My ski experience has gone as follows over the past 6 +/- years. Connelly Concept, Goode 9700, Connelly F1, Goode 9700 and currently on a D3 RCX. I skied on the D3 most of the summer and personally I like it more than the 9700. I feel that the speed is similar to the 9700 and it turns a little smoother. It does not seem as "edgy" as the 9700 and appears to be a little more forgiving. I'm not sure how much of it is the ski or the skier but I was able to improve this past summer from occasionally getting 28 off/32 mph to consistently getting 28 off/34 mph and now occasionally getting 32 off/32 mph. I also did switch to a Reflex binding system which I like the most of the 3 different hardshells that I have tried.

Thanks everybody and for the detailed info, Greg. Other info welcome if there are any more insights.

Jack,

Maybe the most imprtant thing to know is that if my 9800SL broke, got lost or somehow went away and I had to pay to get another Goode- I would start by skiing on the RCX and trying the Radar RS-1 and see if I could get comfy with the way those worked for me. chances are they would work just fine and I would have saved $600.

Thanks again guys. I guess my top pick would be a fischer, because of the good things I have heard about it and because it is perhaps the most "different", if that makes any sense. I was thinking 9800SL after that because of its asymmetrical characteristics--again a difference from other skis. However, the odds of finding a used one with my specs are minimal. If I were going to pony up for a new one, I would just order a Fish. I do like what I have seen and heard about the RCX and I do like my X5. Based on what you guys have said above, I may now place it above the Goode. I know I can get a used or discounted RCX.

I'm going to keep looking this winter and pick up something different in the Spring. I know the X5 has more buoys in it than I do, but I lost an entire season and am looking for any advantage I can get. If I can find something that will help me progress more easily and quickly, it will save my back and make me a happy camper.

I picked up an RCX at the beginning of this year during the D3 holiday sale and have been very happy with it. I came from the white top Nomad and found the new version to be faster and carry speed better out of my onside.

I ended up with the settings that Seth @ H2Osmosis recommends: 6.90 length, .755 DFT, 2.505 depth with my hardshells at 29.25".

Edited by Addictedto6

There's so many very nice skis on the market today. 2 years ago everyone was on Goodes. But their customer service and the breakdowns on the 9800SLs have really pushed people elsewhere this year. The Fisher is a very nice ski. Very similar to the Goode 9500 in design, but with far better materials and workmanship. Just wayyyyy too hard to come by right now. The RS1 is by far the fastest ski behind the boat. It's a rocket ship from ball to ball, and then turns very well especially if you use counter rotation and keep your body square to the course at the apex. The Fisher and Goode are probably the hardest turning. The RCX is an all around really good ski that's reasonably fast, very stable, and turns well too. I'd say the same about the A1. The Sixam SS is almost as fast as the RS1, explodes off the 2nd wake into an edge change, then carves a very nice turn.

Edited by 2gofaster

I hear those negative things about Goode from time to time and wanted to voice my experience with Goode. I switched from a D3 Nomad to the 9800SL this spring and checking my journal, I skied over 500 passes on the ski this season including two weeks at Cobles, a third place in the state championships and a tourney PB of 2 @ -38 in 13 tourneys this year. I hit a ball mid season and broke a buckle on my hardshells and Goode sent me two new buckles for free. At the end of the season, the side of the ski was a bit worn from rope wear from starts. I sent the ski back to Goode to see if they could fix it. Not only did they fix it, they repainted the bottom and did it all at no charge.

I don't want to start a debate about Goode, but just wanted to note my very positive experiences with them. I would pick the exact same skies as Skisix in that order-9800SL, RCX and the RS-1. I was shopping the RCX while my 9800SL was being evaluated by Goode. I'll be skiing the 9800SL again next season.

I hear those negative things about Goode from time to time and wanted to voice my experience with Goode. I switched from a D3 Nomad to the 9800SL this spring and checking my journal, I skied over 500 passes on the ski this season including two weeks at Cobles, a third place in the state championships and a tourney PB of 2 @ -38 in 13 tourneys this year. I hit a ball mid season and broke a buckle on my hardshells and Goode sent me two new buckles for free. At the end of the season, the side of the ski was a bit worn from rope wear from starts. I sent the ski back to Goode to see if they could fix it. Not only did they fix it, they repainted the bottom and did it all at no charge.

I don't want to start a debate about Goode, but just wanted to note my very positive experiences with them. I would pick the exact same skies as Skisix in that order-9800SL, RCX and the RS-1. I was shopping the RCX while my 9800SL was being evaluated by Goode. I'll be skiing the 9800SL again next season.

Notworthy.gif

I can only dream of getting that kind of time behind the boat, Rip. Sounds like you've had a great Summer! Thumbup.gif

I was at Coble's this week for an afternoon and April is trying out the A1 after having been a Goode skier for a long time. She liked the way it skied and said it is very easy to ski and is great on the offside. I have been interested in trying one anyway and will probably try to get down there next spring and try one out.

Rip - congrats on those tourney results! I know Greg really likes that ski as well -- I didn't go that route because I already had FMs and didn't want to go through a remounting exercise (or cost for new powershells). It's GREAT to hear about your positive customer service experience on the 9800SL.

I don't ski tourneys, but have about 1100 passes on the RCX. My "practice" PB is 2 @ -38 on the RCX...but am not yet consistent on my 35s. The wisdom of skisix@38 ( Thumbup.gifThumbup.gif ) is really helping me out and hope to increase my % success at 35 before the year ends here in Cali.

And I have to add, great to see some slalom discuss on The Crew!

Edited by Addictedto6
Thanks again guys. I guess my top pick would be a fischer, because of the good things I have heard about it and because it is perhaps the most "different", if that makes any sense. I was thinking 9800SL after that because of its asymmetrical characteristics--again a difference from other skis. However, the odds of finding a used one with my specs are minimal. If I were going to pony up for a new one, I would just order a Fish. I do like what I have seen and heard about the RCX and I do like my X5. Based on what you guys have said above, I may now place it above the Goode. I know I can get a used or discounted RCX.

I'm going to keep looking this winter and pick up something different in the Spring. I know the X5 has more buoys in it than I do, but I lost an entire season and am looking for any advantage I can get. If I can find something that will help me progress more easily and quickly, it will save my back and make me a happy camper.

Jack,

What #1 do you prefer?

I might have a Fisher #1 blue, 66 inch for sale.

(Never thought about selling that baby so far b/c the market for top end ski equipment over here in Europe is very very small .)

I bought the Fisher last X-mas and was totally thrilled by it's fit and finish and it's incredible light-weight.

I rode it around Easter for a week @ Swiss Ski School where it performed outstanding.

Back at home in our cold and rough river water the ski was nearly unable to ride. (At least for me and my poor skiing abilities) :(

I ended up back on my old Goode 9600 which I think I'm gonna keep as long as possible.

If you are interested, just let me know.

We are planning to spend a week @ Swiss next February, so we could work something out...

David

Here it is... :)

Florida08-16.jpg