Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing ballast and bilge pumps?

I took the my mid-ship ballast bag out this weekend and dried everything out. Should I take both lines off my ballast pumps and give it a good shake? I didn't because the drain line running up to the through hull fitting was tough to get off.

Does the ballast pump work like a check valve for that drain line and or is it same to assume all the water has drained back down through the pump?

While typing this, I'm also having the bright idea of pouring some RV anti freeze down the through-hull fitting. Anyone do that, or am I asking for trouble?

Ken

Great question -- our dealer in MI (Skier's Pier) just asked us to drain the tanks -- no need to pour antifreeze into the tanks... work last year, and the season ends this Sunday -- any other suggestions? What about gas -- full and stabiliize or empty as much as possible?

Thanks.

Great question -- our dealer in MI (Skier's Pier) just asked us to drain the tanks -- no need to pour antifreeze into the tanks... work last year, and the season ends this Sunday -- any other suggestions? What about gas -- full and stabiliize or empty as much as possible?

Thanks.

Indmar recommends two options depending on if you have alcohol in the gas. If no then fill the tank and use stabelizer. If yes, drain as low as possible and use stabilizer.

Thanks.

Plus1.gif Same thing I do, worked for a couple years now. My father-in-laws boat has been done the same way for a couple years as well.

Edited by T-Squared