Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

System 8

UWSkier

Looking for input on this ski. My winter "fluff" isn't coming off this spring like it normally does, and at 6'5" 215, I'm maxing out my 68" CDX. I think I need something a little longer, and I have a feeling this ski is the ticket.

Anyone tried one yet?

Looking for input on this ski.  My winter "fluff" isn't coming off this spring like it normally does, and at 6'5" 215, I'm maxing out my 68" CDX.  I think I need something a little longer, and I have a feeling this ski is the ticket.

Anyone tried one yet?

I called the local dealer and was given the story "this ski is real expensive and we really aren't going to demo them, maybe later in the year if there are extras"

So, I probably won't try real hard to get one. Let me offer this advice though: I am riding a 68.5" 04 CarbonWorx Outlaw and this ski rocks! I have been riding KD's and have ridden D3's, not the x5, and the 6AM. I can make all those skis work alright and I can get through the middle of 38'(34MPH, M3) off on all of them. This ski and I get through 38 every time out. I am 6'4", 200 lb skier and this ski has no problem staying in front of me. It turns like a KD, nice sharp and predictable but then gets cross course like fast like a Goode or the HO. I found it to be way more forgiving than the 6 AM with a lot less effort. Go to www.carbonworx.com and check it out. They have a good section on how to adjust their fins and set ups. Plus, the bottom line is that you can get one- who knows if and what you'll get with the HO( That's just what I have heard but isn't that the point?).

I've got a 68" System 8....5'11", 190 lbs, 34 mph.

Coming from a 2002 Phantom with Carbon Fin.

I'm in a meeting at the moment, can't spend too much time with a review. Long story short, the System 8 is a great ride. It turns much better than the Phantom, is more forgiving, accelerates great, etc. It's as light as the Phantom, feels a ton lighter on the water. I got the fin set up from Matt Rini, was spot on from the get go.

PM me if you have add'l questions.

My roommate just picked up a Monza, he says it's super fast but doesn't turn very well. It's a 67", I think he is coming from a 68" CDX. I'm hoping to get on the ski before long as I am currently wanting to shop it and the D3 X5 for a new ski this summer. The '02 Phantom is getting a little worn out. I've heard nothing but good things about the System 8.

Skis6, I think that is the most positive comment I've ever heard about a Carbonworx product. I have about 6-7 friends that have either had CW trick skis, jumpers, or ramp surfaces, and all of them have nothing but negative things to say about the company. I was going to look into the CW slalom at one point, but they steered me away.

My roommate just picked up a Monza, he says it's super fast but doesn't turn very well.  It's a 67", I think he is coming from a 68" CDX.  I'm hoping to get on the ski before long as I am currently wanting to shop it and the D3 X5 for a new ski this summer.  The '02 Phantom is getting a little worn out.  I've heard nothing but good things about the System 8.

Skis6, I think that is the most positive comment I've ever heard about a Carbonworx product.  I have about 6-7 friends that have either had CW trick skis, jumpers, or ramp surfaces, and all of them have nothing but negative things to say about the company.  I was going to look into the CW slalom at one point, but they steered me away.

Everyone has their bad days and I've heard plenty bad things about CBX. I think they have the new outlaw figured out and I think that it stands on it's own very nicely against the HO, Goode, D3, 6M. It's a small company so it's going to have some growing pains. I don't jump or trick and don't pay attention to either, the slalom ski is stable, fast and forgiving.

This is great information folks! I bought an HO Truth last fall... tried it a few times, found it too wild for me. Because of all the great info on MBO, I decided to buy one of Wiley's CDX remakes. It arrived the same time as the snow arrived. It's still sitting in the box.... I can't wait. The point is, I trusted the valuable information from the many people on MBO who had used the CDX..... I trusted them enought to spend $500 without a test run, and sell my Truth.

Th eperson who bought my Truth is also considering the S8 and the Monza. I'm trying to keep him abreast of any ski reports on MBO (oops, themalibucrew) from folks like you in the know. All your reports are very helpful. Thanks.

There's another message here. The last few days on themalibucrew I've been very disappointed with the endless 1-line silly messages. It wastes bandwidth and wastes people's time. It's one thing to be funny, but it just became an endless pursuit of building up a post count. We won't have a good site unless we cut out the silliness, and add good content.

Off my soap box now.

Again, thanks so much to skisix, kstates, edwin, UW for a helpful and meaningful thread..... one that lookied and smelled like the old MBO we loved.

I think a lot of people just need to realize what ski they need to be on. I've got a friend that skis 15' 30 mph and got a Monza. Broke his nose on it the first time. There are times I wonder if I need a Phantom and I'm capable of getting into 35'.

Skis6, I know they are small, I just have heard horrible customer service stories about them from close friends. Working for a small restaurant chain, I know how important customer service is for a small, growing company.

I think a lot of people just need to realize what ski they need to be on. I've got a friend that skis 15' 30 mph and got a Monza. Broke his nose on it the first time. There are times I wonder if I need a Phantom and I'm capable of getting into 35'.

This is exactly why I'm on the System 8 vs a Monza. The guys at Wiley's have never led me astray, have even refused to sell me a new ski before I tried some different settings on the existing ski.

I called them fully expecting to have a new Monza on the way. After our discussion, they truly felt the System 8 would be a better ski for me (34mph, 22, 28, 32 off).

I got a Monza because I was sick of waiting on a system 8. The first one delamintated in like 5 sets, on #2 now, with just 1 ride. I haven't spent that much time on carbon skis, but the Monza is not nearly as fussy as other carbons people have complained about. It's a lot of ski for me and it's harder to roll over as compared to my old Mapple, but it has a lot of potential. I figured for another $150, it was worth dropping 1.5#. Fast as all get out coming out of the turn! I'm assuming that the system 8 will ride just like it, just easier to turn (due to softness), but I'm hoping to break thsi ski down soon and see how it rides when it softens up.