Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer "Loading" lights mod...

spinxt

Looks awesome jeffmx. Other than smoothwatersports, where can you find these kits?

Thanks for the compliment... Thumbup.gif

I am not sure where else you can find these lights, but once I saw what Peter had to offer at Smoothwater, I was sold.

He is great to work with and I had them in hand in less than a week.

Now on to my next project, the swim platform lights... Rockon.gif

Looks awesome jeffmx. Other than smoothwatersports, where can you find these kits?

I am not sure where else you can find these lights, but once I saw what Peter had to offer at Smoothwater, I was sold.

Do you mind telling me everything that came with it from Peter? I've emailed him a few times and really should've just called. How many lights? Owl lighting controller? Around $150 shipped? I appreciate the info. I've searched high and low for the right lights and I think these are great.

Do you mind telling me everything that came with it from Peter? I've emailed him a few times and really should've just called. How many lights? Owl lighting controller? Around $150 shipped? I appreciate the info. I've searched high and low for the right lights and I think these are great.

They work really well...If I remember correctly, He will ship (12) lights, (12) grommets,(1) float switch, various connectors, and wire.

Pretty simple install. Just make sure you have a short right angle drill if you do it with the boat on the trailer.

If you need any more info or pics let me know.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice Jeff.... I'd probably double those lights and for every one of them facing up, there would be one facing down.

With you're trailer being closed-tubed, did you have any trouble fishing the wire through there? Did you pull all the wires to the front or rear of the trailer? And did you seal the holes or leave it open so water could drain? Over at wakeworld the closed/open tube discussion has been brought up. I'd guess that it would be best to be left open for water to drain out.

Thanks for the advice Jeff.... I'd probably double those lights and for every one of them facing up, there would be one facing down.

With you're trailer being closed-tubed, did you have any trouble fishing the wire through there? Did you pull all the wires to the front or rear of the trailer? And did you seal the holes or leave it open so water could drain? Over at wakeworld the closed/open tube discussion has been brought up. I'd guess that it would be best to be left open for water to drain out.

Jon,

I thought about adding more lights on each side, but I didn't want to drill that many holes in my trailer.

Answers to your questions...

1. No trouble fishing the wires, I used a nylon fishtape, and it was easy.

2. I control my lights from the truck, so I pulled the wires to the front of the trailer, using connectors and shrink tubing when making the connections to my new wiring harness. If you are going to use the float switch, then you will want to pull the wires to the back by the prop cage.

3. The lights come with rubber grommets, that seam to fit fairly tight. I am sure some water will get in there over time, but my trailer has drain holes in the rear, and the front (where the wires exit) is open so plenty of air can get in there to dry it out.

I switched to solid guide posts and added these Stop-turn-tail lights. I am really afraid of a rear ender... But they work great for loading in the dark.

Patrick

post-50-1232817859_thumb.jpg

Jon,

I thought about adding more lights on each side, but I didn't want to drill that many holes in my trailer.

Answers to your questions...

1. No trouble fishing the wires, I used a nylon fishtape, and it was easy.

2. I control my lights from the truck, so I pulled the wires to the front of the trailer, using connectors and shrink tubing when making the connections to my new wiring harness. If you are going to use the float switch, then you will want to pull the wires to the back by the prop cage.

3. The lights come with rubber grommets, that seam to fit fairly tight. I am sure some water will get in there over time, but my trailer has drain holes in the rear, and the front (where the wires exit) is open so plenty of air can get in there to dry it out.

Thanks for the reply man... I appreciate the info Rockon.gif

I switched to solid guide posts and added these Stop-turn-tail lights. I am really afraid of a rear ender... But they work great for loading in the dark.

Patrick

Where did you get those lights and are they LED's? I have the same guide posts on my trailer, although I wish they were taller. My launch ramp is quite steep so I have to drive the boat on the trailer about half way. But if I am off to one side the boat rubs the guide post and leaves a mark on the side of the hull since the guide post is not tall enough to go above the gunnel. Don't get me wrong, the mark comes off with a bit of rubbing, but it still bothers me.

Patrick

Where did you get those lights and are they LED's? I have the same guide posts on my trailer, although I wish they were taller. My launch ramp is quite steep so I have to drive the boat on the trailer about half way. But if I am off to one side the boat rubs the guide post and leaves a mark on the side of the hull since the guide post is not tall enough to go above the gunnel. Don't get me wrong, the mark comes off with a bit of rubbing, but it still bothers me.

I made the guide posts, and while I was at it I made them 12" taller. They are a piece of 2"X2"X 1/4" square stock. The lichts I found on the net... Google LED tail lights. Yes they are led.

Pat

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...