Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer "Loading" lights mod...

spinxt

I would like to add some type of LED-type "loading" lights to the top of the boat guides on my trailer. Often (especially this time of the year) we are loading the boat in pitch darkness and it's hard to see. Our ramp is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, which makes it darker still. One of my ski buddies tried this on his boat, but found that typical 4x4 type lights that he mounted on top of the boat guides were drawing too much current and kept blowing fuses. I was thinking if I could find some LED-type "spot" lights the amp draw would be much less.

Any ideas?

I would like to add some type of LED-type "loading" lights to the top of the boat guides on my trailer. Often (especially this time of the year) we are loading the boat in pitch darkness and it's hard to see. Our ramp is pretty much in the middle of nowhere, which makes it darker still. One of my ski buddies tried this on his boat, but found that typical 4x4 type lights that he mounted on top of the boat guides were drawing too much current and kept blowing fuses. I was thinking if I could find some LED-type "spot" lights the amp draw would be much less.

Any ideas?

Run a strip of LEDs up each bunk tucked down on the side, that would be cool, kind of underwater runway lights.

Spin, what you need....is the actual runway lights.

These are cool as all h*ll at night, at the launch ramp. The shots in the showroom don't do it justice.

DSCF3230-1.jpg

These are LED lights in the top rail, simple push in units, and are wired to your running lights. There is a contact switch mounted on the inside of the propguard frame, which is normally off. This allows you to be legal running down the road. When you back into the water, the water makes the connection and wah-lah, you have runway lights to load and unload. (or if you hold your fingers on the box you can make the contact as well)

Peter :)

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

I haven't torn it apart to see who makes it or how it's set up Pete, but it's totally encased/sealed/etc. There are two little circles on one side that make the connection, but looking at it you'd never guess it was even a switch to begin with. Very cool. :)

If you don't have alot of slack in the existing wire harness I'd just string a new lead down the tube, and at each hole you drill you'd just need to fish the wire up (with a pick or similar) to tap into it. The lead just taps into the existing running light circuit, and the LED's don't draw any amps at all...I'm sure it'd take a little time, but the end result is sweet.

Peter

I ordered it that way, but I can get you the lights and the switch if you want, just let me know.

Peter

[/qu

can you buy that light kit online?

You can buy lights and switch, electrical connectors and any wire you would need to supply yourself.

My email is [email protected]

Peter

edit - looks like I can put a good kit together with switch, lights, grommets, wire and connectors, for $150 shipped.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

I ordered it that way, but I can get you the lights and the switch if you want, just let me know.

Peter

can you buy that light kit online?

Sweet looking lights Pete.

Snap on man just order them from Peter, he will hook you up with every thing you would need.

PS I need a cost on some new tools. Thumbup.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Very cool. I'll be following this and planning on a spring project when the boat comes out of storage in the spring. Thumbup.gif

Great idea. I also sometimes pull the boat on the trailer in the dark. Can be a little tough w/o any reference to the trailer center. To make things worse out trailer is black and there are almost no lights at our launch.

"I think that's the front bunk, I hope it's the front bunk, yeps its the front bunk." Luckily I haven't missed yet. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished this project today. Rockon.gif

I haven't pulled the boat out of the garage to get the full effect of the lights yet, but I wanted to share one other thing.

Instead of using the float switch mounted on the prop cage to turn the lights on, I installed a new trailer wiring harness, that uses all 7 conductors that my truck has to offer back to the boat, and then used the 12v accessory wire for the lights, switched by a dash mounted switch. That way I can control when they are on or off right from the truck.

Should be pretty cool to have extra lights at night when we pull out at the launch ramp.

post-81-1231030048_thumb.jpg

post-81-1231030056_thumb.jpg

I finished this project today. Rockon.gif

I haven't pulled the boat out of the garage to get the full effect of the lights yet, but I wanted to share one other thing.

Instead of using the float switch mounted on the prop cage to turn the lights on, I installed a new trailer wiring harness, that uses all 7 conductors that my truck has to offer back to the boat, and then used the 12v accessory wire for the lights, switched by a dash mounted switch. That way I can control when they are on or off right from the truck.

Should be pretty cool to have extra lights at night when we pull out at the launch ramp.

That's a great idea. I have a switch mounted under my rear bumper that turns on all my back up lights and trailer reverse lights (there's a lot of lights involved here) but, I haven't had the time to put a switch in the dash for it.

• 3 weeks later...