Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best Drysuit

jjackkrash

I have read all the drysuit posts that I could find, but need specific advice for the stocky guy. Also, the other posts are a year old, so maybe there is a new suit on the market? In any event, I am looking for a new suit. My old O'Neill Bob Lapoint semi-dry just doesn't fit any more. I am leaning towards an assault hybrid, but would consider other makes and models. Any input from the stocky (read slightly overweight :) ) guys on the board for fit and ease of movement? I am 5'10" and bounce between 205 and 220, usually closer to 215. I will use the suit in the course and for trick skiing (no footing or jumping in cold water for me, and absolutely no dark-side type activities ever).

I probably won't need the suit until thanksgiving or so (gotta love Dallas) so I have some time to shop around.

Thoughts?

Do you really need a drysuit in the Dallas area? What does the water drop to? I use a really nice Jet Pilot Chamber 4/3 wetsuit that has eliminated much of what used to be drysuit season for me. The suit is very flexible and I find it much more comfortable than by drysuit. I use it down to about 50 degree water. Don't know if it even an option for your area but I thought it was worth mentioning.

It gets pretty cold Dec-Feb. Water temp down to 40-45, we have skiied with snow on the ground before. I like to go from shorty or dry suit. I'm not a big fan of the full wetsuit.

Do you really need a drysuit in the Dallas area? What does the water drop to? I use a really nice Jet Pilot Chamber 4/3 wetsuit that has eliminated much of what used to be drysuit season for me. The suit is very flexible and I find it much more comfortable than by drysuit. I use it down to about 50 degree water. Don't know if it even an option for your area but I thought it was worth mentioning.

this is what my wife has and says it works great, she very rarely is wet when she comes out of this thing. I will be shopping for one myself very soon.

After halloween we will need something, i can usually tuff it out for a while but why bother if i can get a suit and not be freezing.

I fit your profile to a tee. I have had bags and am now using a dry suit from Sahara Drysuit . I have found it to be the best yet very warm not constricting easy on and off. I am on the fifth year on mine and no problems. I hat the seals on bags I find them very tight and some what fragile.

I ski with four other skiers who have now switched to the Sahara and all are happy. I bought one bigger then needed thinking I could put more clothing under if needed. I would not recommend doing that you wont need anything special under it. I use a tee shire and a swim suit and have not been cold.

I fit your profile to a tee. I have had bags and am now using a dry suit from Sahara Drysuit . I have found it to be the best yet very warm not constricting easy on and off. I am on the fifth year on mine and no problems. I hat the seals on bags I find them very tight and some what fragile.

I ski with four other skiers who have now switched to the Sahara and all are happy. I bought one bigger then needed thinking I could put more clothing under if needed. I would not recommend doing that you wont need anything special under it. I use a tee shire and a swim suit and have not been cold.

Where did you buy your Sahara?

Assault Hybrid, hands down. I love the tight legs, and it is so much easier to get on and off than the bag styles with the latex seals. I wear shorts and either a short sleeve or long sleeve shirt depending on temp, and I have never been cold. If the Sahara is a hybrid style, it would be good too, but bag style are no good for slalom skiing, IMO.

Where did you buy your Sahara?

I got mine from Overtons. Check the Internet quick I have seen the cheaper sometimes but not always. I would buy another in a second.