Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Best way to restore white gelcoat???? Shiny again??

My boat sits out on the lake 4 months out of the year in the beating sun. We have a nice custom cover that does a great job on the interior and windows. But the white gelcoat has really taken a beating. You can see in these photos where it has been covered and where it has been exposed to sun.

I just had the water spots acid washed off and the whole boat washed and waxed at the detail shop. But the sun exposed gelcoat is showing damage still.

IS there a miracle product that does a good job restoring the shine on gelcoat????

Also, all the finish front the light rack has flaked off. The tower and bars are well protected in powdercoat but the lights have a cheap clear plastic coat around them. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks

PA030609.jpg

PA030612.jpg

PA030618.jpg

PA030625.jpg

Probably a bit late now..... but I usually wax at the beginning of the year & again at the end. 3M has a gelcoat wax I've used. Even had good luck with regular old Turtlewax. I use one of those HarborFreight hand polishers & get after it good. Do a good job in the spring & it cleans up easy in the fall.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky
Probably a bit late now..... but I usually wax at the beginning of the year & again at the end. 3M has a gelcoat wax I've used. Even had good luck with regular old Turtlewax. I use one of those HarborFreight hand polishers & get after it good. Do a good job in the spring & it cleans up easy in the fall.

Ya we wax it every pre-season. But it doesn't protect it enough apparently. The sun is intense after 4 years. I guess I am looking more for a product that helps restore the gelcoat shine.

best way is to wet sand the gel with 2000 grit and re polish then wax

also had success with just buffing the gel out with a polishing compound

if you are in a hurry use flitz , must use the buffing ball ( needs the heat caused by the friction of the ball and gel to work )

The 3M Fiberglass Restorer will do a lot to bring the shine..... especially when applied with the polisher.

This is also a good reason why one should always get a cover that goes down over the rubrail. Anything less might leave something behind.

Sorry, but again, better late than never.

My last boat was extremely oxidized from the sun. The blue gel coat was a chalky blue/white. I went to the extreme and used 600 grit than 1200 grit. Then I applied meguires compound made for oxidation. I finished with meguires finishing compound. Once I was all done I waxed it. I used a power buffer as recommended above. I tried one of those random orbiting polishers but that did not work. Went with the variable speed buffer that rotates one way. It worked great, but my hands hurt for weeks.

Man that is pretty much how my boat looks. I have had pretty god luck restoring dark colored gel coat but the white does not seem to respond as well. I think 3m rubbing compound followed by maguires premium wax is the way to go. I think I am going to need and orbital buffer.