Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Born Again Fakesetter

Slurpee

alls I knows is when you ordered an '01 with MSCAN, you got a speedo in the spot where the tach normally goes, and the Accu-ski unit in the speedo hole... :) If I add PP (or AS) this winter, that's how the dash is getting set up.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slurpee

• obski

• UWSkier

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The digital displays show depth (on the left) and water/air/hours(very inaccurately)/voltage/time (on the right).

Personally, I'd prefer to have the speedo available at a glance and use the PP to read RPM...

104-0427_IMG.JPG

I don't know what I was thinking earlier. My dash is exactly like this (UWSkier) except that in place of the tach I have the PP. I usually run the PP in rpm mode when we are wakeboarding and spd mode when wakesurfing. I watch the speed and the rpm on the PP display.

I think replacing either one with the PP would be fine. I don't miss the tach and I don't think I would miss the speedo either. As I posted earlier, my speedo readout isn't even working right now and I don't miss it at all. I do need to get down there and clean out the pitots though.

OT, should just be able to clean the pitots with a paper clip obski...

Yeah, I've cleaned them before. It's just not a high priority right at the moment. I'll clean them when I pull the boat out for a trip at the beginning of next month. Everything will need a good cleaning then - time for Tony's Topical Toilet Tonic.

When we out this morning I paid attention to my dash gauges. I was partly wrong about what I have. I do have the two 3" gauges on either end, one with depth and one with clock/hrs/water temp etc. My 5" gauges are from left to right muti-diag (fuel/oil P/engine temp etc), speedo, and then PP. My PP gauge though is split, with the upper part being a tachometer and the lower part the PP display. It has the Malibu logo on it. You can see it on the PP website.

I noticed on the PP website that they now include a slalom mode on the PP WB Pro. I wonder if that is something you can upgrade to?

Yeah, you can upgrade. New gauge and new chip. Few hundred bucks. I'm outside all day installing my stereo (thanks Ronnie), fuel tank gauge, and the rest of the PP. The missus didn't know I hadn't finished yet. I need to drill the hole. :(

On the upside we've got some tokillya brewing now.

Yeah, you can upgrade. New gauge and new chip. Few hundred bucks. I'm outside all day installing my stereo (thanks Ronnie), fuel tank gauge, and the rest of the PP. The missus didn't know I hadn't finished yet. I need to drill the hole. :(

On the upside we've got some tokillya brewing now.

She will read this you know.

Let us see what you do with the audio install and good luck with the drilling.

Perfect Pass is 100% now. It actually wasn't that bad installing. The worst part was dealing with a busted tube of silicone sealant. Messssssy. I replaced the speedo instead of the tach. I like having the hour meter easily readible. That 3 line display really rocks. Slalom mode, RPM Mode, Wakeboard mode. Custom settings for all the regulars. Pretty cool.

I just hope I didn't mess up the linkage adjustments on the throttle cable when I replaced the lever with the PP one. Is there a way to check before I get out on the water?

Cheers,

Bryan

• 1 month later...

Installing/Plumbing Bow Ballast -

Well, I put the wedge on my fakesetter a few weeks ago and have had some time to play with it. The wake is perfect, except that it begins to wash out about 65' back on both sides and we're catching spray and having our boards grabbed. It's probably the diamond hull. A little experimenting with my fat buddies (bipedal not nylon) shows me that 300+lbs or so in the bow cleans it up perfect.

I'd like to install some ballast bags under the seat cushions in the bow. I don't use the storage up there for anything now anyways.

What is my best bet for bags that will fit that strange compartment shape?

Are there any good DIY articles out there on plumbing your own permanent bow storage?

FYI. I just got word my towerbimini.com bimini is on it's way! I hope I have it to show off by the miniWOW. And I move my boat into it's new lakeside storage today as well. No more worries about HOA narcs or scratching something removing my tower to fit in the garage every lake visit.

Cheers,

Bryan

Edited by Slurpee

Post some pics of the bimini if you don't mind...the tower bimini's are sweet.

Congrats on not getting the boat towed out of the drive, hope your neighbors still like you Fingerwag.gif

Bryan

I thought the bow storage for your boat was drink coolers.

Thats great if its not because they are pretty much worthless.

I've been using a Fly High tube thats about 200lbs under the bow fill cushion - fits almost perfect. Then I put another sac in the bow seat.

Its also a Fly High tube - doubles as an exercise roller for the skinny girls in the bow.

Nah, my boat has zero coolers in it. Don't know when they left the boat before I got it or if they were ever an option.

I kinda wanted to use something hidden and put the water under the cushions. :( I put the duffel with the tubes under the bow filler cushion normally so I don't have to drag that thing around a lot in the storage.

No coolers built into the 2001 Sunsetter VLX. Some models did have a removable cooler that was situated behind the driver's seat.

With the diamond hull you definitely want some weight up front. I fill the ski locker bag and use the wedge, but if I also want to fill the rear tanks I need more weight up in the bow.

how is the audio install coming along?

Audio intall is still on hold. The Fusion T Combo speakers are stalled at Wakeside while Skicrave gets some extra mounting clamps from Fusion for them (these are last years model with only one clamp). I've got my eyes out for a deal on a kicker amp and basslink. Laketexoma can get them for me at a rockin price if I don't see anything on ebay or clearance locally that I like.

It's going to be a busy month though. I've got to replace that crappy bimini Dallas Boat Top and Canvas made by drilling out the riveted mounting hardware so I can add the towerbimini.com product. Install a hot water shower. Install the audio system. Install some ballast. Restore the swim platform. Detail/Polish the gelcoat. Install my new registration number stickers. Wow. How'd the list get that long? Well, at least I am not maxing out my gas budget this time of year. :)

I might add a ski locker bag first and see how that works. It's definitely got more space to work with, but believe it or not I usually have it packed with skis when we go out. I can just fit the his and hers slalom skis and one set of starter skis in there when we go out with friends. I'd hate to lose the storage space.

I'll have those sacs with me and we'll see if they fit.

They actually belong to Caleb.

Thanks Brad. I'm looking forward to fiddling with everyone else's stuff this weekend to see what I like. I'm glad the weather is holding out. It should be a very nice weekend.

I might add a ski locker bag first and see how that works. It's definitely got more space to work with, but believe it or not I usually have it packed with skis when we go out. I can just fit the his and hers slalom skis and one set of starter skis in there when we go out with friends. I'd hate to lose the storage space.

I keep my ski on the port side under the seat cushions. It tucks very nicely up and out of the way. You could also consider getting a slalom rack for the tower. I basically always use the ski locker ballast.

What about an automatic bilge pump? Biggrin.gif

What about an automatic bilge pump? Biggrin.gif

Yeah yeah.... Found it. It was busted. From the looks of the guts it had been broken for a good long time. Just kind of whined a little when it was turned on. Replacing it was a BIG BIG BIG PITA. I got one used from the local marina, but considering the install effort I should have gotten a new one with an automatic switch.

• 4 weeks later...

looks really good. I have a couple of questions.

is that a titan 1?

how is access to the racks?

can it be lowered to accomodate tower speakers?

If your answers are yes, good and yes, could you pm me with your name or order number so I do not have to measure my boat to order the same bimini.

thanks

bob

looks really good. I have a couple of questions.

is that a titan 1?

how is access to the racks?

can it be lowered to accomodate tower speakers?

If your answers are yes, good and yes, could you pm me with your name or order number so I do not have to measure my boat to order the same bimini.

thanks

bob

I think I mounted it too high actually. Since it was in storage I couldn't look at it from the side at a distance. I'm going to go back to the storage Sunday and pull the boat out with the truck and move the bimini around some till the fit is right. Right now the racks are mounted exactly where I need to put one of the bimini mounts. So stuff needs to move around anyways.

Yes, it is a Titan I. I'll have some Fusion T-Combos on the tower soon as well for a visual reference of height below the bars.

I think rack access is easier because I don't have a piece of the frame keeping me from getting at the racks from the front as well as the rear. Getting to the tower tow spindle is a bit of a stretch though, but I could reach it standing on the seat (I am 5'10").

Something else. Those clamps have some THICK rubber padding and it is a PITA to get them around the tower tubing and the allen bolts threaded. I think I'll use some zip-ties when I go back to hold them in place as I move stuff around to get the hardware in the right place. I am hoping putting all the hardware on the tower for a few days will compress that rubber some so it's easier to reattach the hardware in the future.

Edited by Slurpee

Well, I had to cut 2.75" off the end of the rear hoop and ocmpletely ignore their mounting instructions for the rear brackets, but I finally go the bimini to fit taught and level.

Here is the first money shot.

post-153-1130715587_thumb.jpg

It was sooooo nice to drill out those rivets holding the old mounting hardware to my tower. I'm still furious that WSA would let that happen!

Anyways, here is money shot #2 with the racks on.

Towerbiminis.com ROCKS!!! They are a bit slow though. 12 weeks wait time.

post-153-1130715697_thumb.jpg

Edited by Slurpee