Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Born Again Fakesetter

Slurpee

Bryan, boat looks great tower turned out really nice, lets see a pic of the boat fully loaded... Rockon.gif

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Slurpee

• obski

• UWSkier

• Brad B

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 year later...

Oooooh, it's amazing what will happen with a facelift. WakeMD (the missus) and I put on the graphics Thursday night and we put on the tower Friday Night / Saturday Morning. Ooooooh, It looks nice. I've got some racks to put on there after I get it back from WSA with the new bimini.

Just a note to any titan employees reading this. Your template for the '01 sunsetter VLX is wide by about 5 inches on the rear hoop. FIX IT.

Looks awesome!

I never got around to putting in pictures of the finish work on my stereo system last year. So since I seem to be putting a bunch of links to Flickr today I'll get that done now.

The tower speakers were a pair of Pro60s and a Pro485. After a year I just didn't like them. The 60's had a different tone to them and it was noticeable as you crossed from side to side behind the boat. They sound fine, and 4-6 Pro-60s probably kick a**, but mixing the speaker sizes like that just didn't do it for me. So I switched them out to Pro80s.

[New Speakers]

Then, I needed to upgrade my amp to better drive the Pro80s. What I ultimately ended up doing was switching my Syn4 over to drive the 485 and the new JL W6v2 10" subwoofer (pictures in a bit). I picked up a JL HD600-4 to drive the Pro-80s. I also picked up a JL XD600-6 to drive the cabin speakers. And since I had no wall space to fit three amps I built a speaker wall with rails, cutouts, hinges at the bottom so I can tilt it out of the way, and standoffs at the top so I can mount it securely.

[Amp Rack]

[installed Rack]

So now I HAVE THE POWER!!! Where's the output? The Sub first.

[sub Box Raw 1] - This ported 10" enclosure hits as hard as a 12" sealed enclosure. Took a while to design, but oh my it's nice, and Ronnie made sure I built it solid by the means of holding my hand all the way through it and using his tools.

[sub Box Raw 2] - Test fit is beautiful!

[sub Box Assembled] - That's just fiberglass epoxy coating the box, but I messed up mixing the last coat so it never lost it's tacky to the touch feel. So ultimately I sprayed it with bed liner.

[sub Box Installed] - Finally tucked away and hitting.

Lastly, y'all might know my model of Sunsetter VLX only has 4 speakers. Two in the rear and two under the windshield. Well, 3 of the 4 went out after 10 years of life and I set out to replace them. After a ridiculous amount of sweating and swearing I got the windshield off and the speakers all repleaced with some very nice Polk MoMo pairs. Then, I decided I needed sound in the bow. Well, there is no where to put it. So with some help from Ronnie we fabricated a ABS plastic mount to sit in the storage pockets in the bow. These received a third pair of Polk MoMo speakers.

[ABS Plastic Shell]

[Carpeted Shell] - I carpeted one side and put several layers of fiberglass on the inside to stiffen up the frame and give myself something to screw the speaker into.

[installed Speaker]

So that's my stereo system. I honestly don't have any more interest in doing anything else to it ever. Finally! It just sounds great. At half volume it's in your face at wakeboard lengths.

Cheers

Edited by Slurpee

I want to add that everything but the original Pro485 and Syn4 I purchased from David at Earmark. David is an AMAZING resource - especially if you're technically minded like me. As an engineer I like to hear, "I like these two models of speaker best for good sound BECAUSE [insert rational and qualitative reasons here]". David delivers that while contributing all sorts of useful tips. For instance I was looking at the Polk speakers that had a silver grill at one point. He pointed out that the reflection would be a killer. So I got the speakers with the black grill that only have a tiny bit of silver. Thank goodness. I never really notice that tiny bit of silver on the windshield, but when I look for it I see it. If the WHOLE grill had been silver I know that I would be annoyed on every sunny day. Then more annoyed at having to remove the windshield AGAIN!

Props to Ronnie as well for having every tool you could ever need to beg and borrow as well as being a friendly resource for info and sounding board. Best neighbor ever award!