Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Favorite Moments

-BS-

OK, in the 'wake' of some of the comments made on the Rider's Cliche thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's favorite moments about riding/boating are. I'm not looking for specific stories, just keep it simple. 1. What is your favorite thing that you see other boaters do (that show they 'get it')? and 2. What is the moment, when boating, that makes you smile every time (no matter how many times you've done it)? (side note:keep an eye on how many people view and respond to this thread as compared to the 'cliche' thread.)

Mine are:

1. When you see that another boat is waiting for you to finish riding before they put a rider in....most of the time I see people do this, we end up exchanging sets without saying a word... i LOVE it! :salute: :salute:

2. The thing that puts a smile on my face every time is the sound of the trailer wheels splashing into the water to dump the boat AND when we round the corner into the Slough that we ride in and see flat water and no boats.......gets me every time! Partytime.gif

The expression on a person's face (especially a kid's face) when they first get up on a ski, wakeboard or whatever. There's nothing in the world that compares with that. :)

Plus1.gif those smiles are worth every minute of waxing cleaning etc.

Edited by liljohn
The expression on a person's face (especially a kid's face) when they first get up on a ski, wakeboard or whatever. There's nothing in the world that compares with that. :)

The expression on a full grown adult's face when that foil starts to climb out of the water for the very first time. You know the one.... where they mouth "Oh shiiiiii........." and then stomp on the brakes & do a faceplant!

Actually any first is great. First day of the year. First time ever up. First trick landed. First jump. First time to fly across the wake without touching it. First time to jump the entire wake & land on the other side. First invert landed.

The facial expressions are priceless.

I agree with this one. We invite many "first timers" along with us and the first time they get something, it's great.

Another one, as the sun starts setting, all the tubers go in for the evening, and the lake turns to glass. These late evening sets always put a smile on my face.

Finally, in a thread like this one I has to mention this. Occasionally there is a black and white mastercraft X2 that "appears" on our lake (a drop in), but I can tell they know someone on our lake because they dock there. They are suprisingly young, but the most considerate bunch of young adults (notice I didn't say "kids"). they will very slowly creep out to their starting point. If we are skiing, they will wait. We'll drop and they will take off. Straight line out and straight line back inside their own wake so they aren't making circles and the wake disappears on the shore. When they are done, they will let us go and this repeats. I'm not sure who taught them lake manners, but I wish there were more people like them.

My two year old jumping off the back of the boat to me. He makes me count 1, 2, THREE, though he doesn't always jump on three he ALWAYS has a big smile. Thumbup.gif

Also my "older son", 5, sitting on my lap and steering (at slow speeds with me watching - save the editorials) as we head in for the day. Sometimes we'll do a full lap around the lake as darkness sets in. That is real nice! Clap.gif

I agree on the look of someones face, especially a child when they first get up.

Sound of the engine exhaust in the water always brings a smile to my face.

when i would come home from college for the summer, the first time being on the boat (usually a few hours after I landed) was pretty special.

the look on my old man's face when I finally ran all 6 buoys this past july; sort of the kid's perspective (maybe I'm a young adult, I dunno) of what everyone else is saying is a special moment when their young ones do something for the first time.

I'm looking forward to the first time my dad and brother see my 'Bu when the fam comes and visits for Thanksgiving.

Edited by bimmerboy08

The first time my wife got up on the wakeboard. I knew immediately she would give me the blessing to buy whatever wakeboat I wanted. Seeing my daughter get up on the wakeboard was very cool!!

When three people from a pontoon boat in the Marina store compliment the rider for his skills they witnessed earlier in the day 8 miles up the lake.

The first time my wife got up on the wakeboard. I knew immediately she would give me the blessing to buy whatever wakeboat I wanted. Seeing my daughter get up on the wakeboard was very cool!!

that's hilarious....i bet the look on YOUR face at that point was even better!

Nothing more fun than watching someone learning to Skyski for the first time.

Nothing more heart warming and memorable than watching a child or grandchild learn the first anything behind the boat and seeing that smile spread across their little face.

post-5-1223070974_thumb.jpg

Sitting in the driver seat, getting dropped into the water at the launch. That feeling of sliding off the trailer into the water seems to mimic my worries just slipping away.

Getting to push someone in when they land a new trick.

Watching someone get booted off the upple dub you just drove for them. Watching someone get hucklebucked off the upple dub, realizing their okay and laughing about it.

Being out on the delta and seeing someone ripping on the other slough just barely above the tullies. Or hearing another boat hooting on the other side of the tullies.

That feeling of slipping into the water and being in "wakeboard shape" ready to start trying new tricks. This is also in line with when you are all warm from being out in the sun all day and are riding really well in the evening set (since your all loose and warmed up).

Jello legs cutting in to guinea pig a new trick...then realizing...man I got this shizz.

OK, in the 'wake' of some of the comments made on the Rider's Cliche thread, I thought it would be interesting to see what everyone's favorite moments about riding/boating are. I'm not looking for specific stories, just keep it simple. 1. What is your favorite thing that you see other boaters do (that show they 'get it')? and 2. What is the moment, when boating, that makes you smile every time (no matter how many times you've done it)? (side note:keep an eye on how many people view and respond to this thread as compared to the 'cliche' thread.)

Mine are:

1. When you see that another boat is waiting for you to finish riding before they put a rider in....most of the time I see people do this, we end up exchanging sets without saying a word... i LOVE it! :salute: :salute:

2. The thing that puts a smile on my face every time is the sound of the trailer wheels splashing into the water to dump the boat AND when we round the corner into the Slough that we ride in and see flat water and no boats.......gets me every time! Partytime.gif

I just like to see other boats have a good time and respect others.

My son falling asleep on a seat in the boat because he is exhausted from all the fun he had during the day at the lake always get's me! Thumbup.gif

Oh yeah and cracking open the first beer on a hot Saturday in my boat on the lake after a long week of work! Rockon.gif

My dad says he loves the look on people's faces when they're first behind the boat and edge hard to the wake and get the full pop of the wake. He said the look is pricesless. It's a look of pure scaryness while out in the flats, afraidness(is that a word) on approach, a 'holy crap i'm so freaking high in the air' as well as a 'this landing is gonna hurt' followed propmtly by a 'wow, i actually landed it!'

Plus1.gif for the getting up for the first time. look is priceless no matter who it is.

Sitting in the driver seat, getting dropped into the water at the launch. That feeling of sliding off the trailer into the water seems to mimic my worries just slipping away.

Watching someone get booted off the upple dub you just drove for them. Watching someone get hucklebucked off the upple dub, realizing their okay and laughing about it.

Being out on the delta and seeing someone ripping on the other slough just barely above the tullies. Or hearing another boat hooting on the other side of the tullies.

That feeling of slipping into the water and being in "wakeboard shape" ready to start trying new tricks. This is also in line with when you are all warm from being out in the sun all day and are riding really well in the evening set (since your all loose and warmed up).

Jello legs cutting in to guinea pig a new trick...then realizing...man I got this shizz.

Why am I suddenly reminded of the airplane movie where the flight attendent couldn't understand the two guys and an older lady comes up and says.... let me, I speak Jive...

pulling up to the launch at the marina to drop the boat in for the first time and watching all the 'runabout' owners salivating over the Bu.

When you pull in and they see that fine Bu in tow I swear you can see the envy in their eyes! Drool.gif

Why am I suddenly reminded of the airplane movie where the flight attendent couldn't understand the two guys and an older lady comes up and says.... let me, I speak Jive...

Shirley, you can't be serious.......:)

There have been a lot of "moments" in my 45 years of skiing, but my favorite has to be when my daughters built their first pyramid. I was lucky enough to get a picture of the looks on their face when the youngest, who was 6 at the time finished her climb. That picture hangs on my wall to this day. For me skiing personally, I would have to say the first time I stepped out and stayed up. There were no booms (as far as I knew) at that time.

Ohh, doubles sets FOR SURE!!!!!!!!!!! Especially if both of you are working on tricks and stick them back to back in a doubles set....hell yah!

P.S. I speak Jive completely. Let me know what else you want "translated" but here are a few:

Upple Dub = Double up, just a different way of saying it. A lot of peeps also say "T em up"... Meaning Drive me some double ups (Upple Dubs).

Hucklebucked = getting absolutely booted off a double up and not being able to control it. Usually results in a stargazed raley (raley but with your back facing the water) and rolling down the windows (term used to describe the movements people make while trying to stay on balance...it looks like they are rolling down some manual car windows. But yah, anyone who has gotten booted HARD off a double up and gotten "thrown out the back", "Into a raley, etc and just flat out couldnt control themselves in the air has been "hucklebucked". I believe Randall Harris coined the phrase. Usually after a hucklebuck the rider can be heard saying "my insides hurt like I was in a head on collision".

Edited by Liquidmx