Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wrecked the slalom course yesterday

Bill_AirJunky

I got out for a SkySki ride on Liberty last night after work. The sky is turning grey, the weatherman says it's going to rain the next few days & we're leaving town for the weekend anyway. So I figured we'd pull the boat out for the weekend...... but maybe I'll get a tug in before we do it. We're the only boat on the lake. I'm cruising around the perimeter of the lake, enjoying the quiet water, busting out a back roll or front roll here & there....... then WHAM! I get dropped like a rock. My wife comes back to get me & I have rope & broken PVC around me. Patti tells me she can see a buoy floating near the surface a few feet over. Apparently someone didn't sink the course very well. I thought we were way over to the side of it..... usually it's 300' or 400' off the west shore. But today it's like 100' or 150' away..... like it's lose & moving around. Occasionally someone forgets to sink it before they leave & I've seen people cutting thru it. I'm sure they loose buoys all the time as a result.

Well now they lost the whole damn course.

Wow, file that one under suckage! There is a sinkable course on my lake that gets moved now and then. I never thought about the possibility of hitting it. Thanks for the heads up! Did your wings survive?

That would suck to get injured like that. I'm sure that crossed your mind. Reminds me of the story of someone hitting a sunken tree in Cali (BAJ - was that your brother?)

That would suck to get injured like that. I'm sure that crossed your mind. Reminds me of the story of someone hitting a sunken tree in Cali (BAJ - was that your brother?)

Could be my brother. I think I've posted this video here before. It was last summer on Shasta. My wife & I rode over it later on a SeaDoo & it was the top of a tree.... all the branches looked like Medusa's head...... pretty creepy under the water.

Every foil rider hits something at some point. It goes with the territory. One of the guys on FoilForum.com just got taken out by a turtle recently. I've seen guys hit fish, the ground, rocks, other boats, a house foundation, a sandbar, a beaver, whatever might be just under water. I've hit sticks, logs, weeds, another foil, another ski rope, and now a slalom course. It happens, but obviously we should try & avoid it if possible.... because the faceplant immediately after wards kinda blows.

Could be my brother. I think I've posted this video here before. It was last summer on Shasta. My wife & I rode over it later on a SeaDoo & it was the top of a tree.... all the branches looked like Medusa's head...... pretty creepy under the water.

Every foil rider hits something at some point. It goes with the territory. One of the guys on FoilForum.com just got taken out by a turtle recently. I've seen guys hit fish, the ground, rocks, other boats, a house foundation, a sandbar, a beaver, whatever might be just under water. I've hit sticks, logs, weeds, another foil, another ski rope, and now a slalom course. It happens, but obviously we should try & avoid it if possible.... because the faceplant immediately after wards kinda blows.

Which reminds me of that faceplant in The Secret Spot.

Sorry about the crash. Although it sucks breaking someone's course, most people who maintain a course on public waters are used to fixing them. And I wouldn't feel too bad about it, since it sounds like it was properly submerged.