Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Speedo Help!!

corpusmalibuguy

Ok, I have looked all through the forums and have not come up with any answers on my new speedo problem I encountered today, so here goes my last ditch effort before taking it into the shop.....

Took the boat out today and noticed right from the get go that my PP was having a hard time holding speed. It would surge and then decelerate over and over. I then noticed that my speedo was off by at least 15 mph. I tried to adjust the speedo with the rocker switch, but it was very erratic. It would go high, then back down. I then tried to adjust the PP speedo and somehow managed to get it to only read zero. Now I can't even get it off zero, and the boat speedo is mostly at zero with only occasional burps up to the mid teens and then back to zero. My PP still holds RPM very well, although the PP displays an RPM that is about 3-400 RPMs off of what the boat reads.

I checked the paddle wheel while swimming, and it is ok. Moves freely without any binding.

The only thing I can think of is the computer that takes the signal from the paddle wheel and converts it to digital display is bad, or a bad ground somewhere. Any help? I have friends coming into town this weekend to ride, and would love to get it working before then. I can run in RPM mode if I have to, but prefer to have the speed option. Many thanks in advance.

Ok, I have looked all through the forums and have not come up with any answers on my new speedo problem I encountered today, so here goes my last ditch effort before taking it into the shop.....

Took the boat out today and noticed right from the get go that my PP was having a hard time holding speed. It would surge and then decelerate over and over. I then noticed that my speedo was off by at least 15 mph. I tried to adjust the speedo with the rocker switch, but it was very erratic. It would go high, then back down. I then tried to adjust the PP speedo and somehow managed to get it to only read zero. Now I can't even get it off zero, and the boat speedo is mostly at zero with only occasional burps up to the mid teens and then back to zero. My PP still holds RPM very well, although the PP displays an RPM that is about 3-400 RPMs off of what the boat reads.

I checked the paddle wheel while swimming, and it is ok. Moves freely without any binding.

The only thing I can think of is the computer that takes the signal from the paddle wheel and converts it to digital display is bad, or a bad ground somewhere. Any help? I have friends coming into town this weekend to ride, and would love to get it working before then. I can run in RPM mode if I have to, but prefer to have the speed option. Many thanks in advance.

Are you sure the paddle wheel isn't missing a paddle. one of mine broke off and it was regestering about half the speed it should.

Are you sure the paddle wheel isn't missing a paddle. one of mine broke off and it was regestering about half the speed it should.

I am going to check the paddlewheel today. I don't think any of the paddles were broken, but I was underwater when I checked it. I will take a look at it on the trailer.

I am going to check the paddlewheel today. I don't think any of the paddles were broken, but I was underwater when I checked it. I will take a look at it on the trailer.

Ok, so I looked at the paddle wheel with the boat on the trailer, and discovered that the paddlewheel had somehow shifted in the housing and was almost facing sideways instead of straight forward. I unscrewed it from the inside, and pointed it forward and like magic my rpm gauge is working just fine now. However, I don't know what I did while I was messing with the PP the other day, but now my PP gauge will not read anything but zero. I have tried the speedometer adjust while in wakeboard mode, but no matter how much I raise the speed, it will not change from zero. PP works just fine in RPM mode.

I did some research on the website, and apparently you can reset the PP by holding the on/off button down with the menu button while turning the key on. Anyone know if this will help my problem? I can't figure out how my PP could be only reading zero right now if my boat speedometer works. I thought the two both worked off the same paddlewheel. Also, will it reset my KD and NN settings? I have no idea what those are, but apparently they are important.

I would do the reset and see what happens. Then I would disconnect the battery for a minute or so, then reconnect it.

So the paddlewheel doesn't really work facing sideways, huh? :Doh:

I would do the reset and see what happens. Then I would disconnect the battery for a minute or so, then reconnect it.

Yeah, it's crazy, I know. I am still trying to figure out how it happened. I don't know if I bumped the trailer when I was trailering it or what. Anyway, I am glad it was just a simple fix.

On powerslides it does...

When you reset the perfect pass, they ask you what items you want to reset. Depending how deep of a reset you want to do, you will loose some info. You better play safe and note all your settings. This will also reset your hours on the PP hour meter. There is a way to reprogram the correct hours, but it is a bit more complicated.