Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

malibu serial # deciphering

wilsonalexander

Hi All: Just joined this group. Have purchased a 99 response lx and am wondering how to find out what info I can determine from the serial #. I know the last 2 numbers tell you the year it was made. Is there a way to find out more about the boat? BTW, the serial # for the boat is USMB 2Y50171899.

US= obvious, MB=Malibu, 2=not sure, Y=Response LX , 5017=Boat #, I8= that should be an I = month built, 99 is year

Edited by edgeski1
Hi All: Just joined this group. Have purchased a 99 response lx and am wondering how to find out what info I can determine from the serial #. I know the last 2 numbers tell you the year it was made. Is there a way to find out more about the boat? BTW, the serial # for the boat is USMB 2Y50171899.

Below defines the US Coast Guard requirements for Hull Identification -

The boat manufacturer must display two identical hull identification numbers, no less than one-fourth of an inch high, on each boat hull. The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. On boats without transoms or on boats on which it would be impractical to the transom, the HIN must be affixed to the starboard outboard side of the hull, aft within one foot of the stern and within two inches of the top of hull side, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest. The starboard outboard side of the hull aft is the preferred HIN location for many manufacturers. On catamarans and pontoon boats the HIN must be affixed on the aft crossbeam within one foot of the starboard hull attachment.

The regulations prescribe the format of the HIN. The first three characters are a MIC (Manufacturer Identification Code) assigned by the Coast Guard to the manufacturer or the person importing the boat; characters four through eight are a serial number assigned by the manufacturer; the last four characters indicate the month and year the boat was built, and the model year. Prior to August 1, 1984, the manufacturer had the option of expressing this in the form of a model year designation

HINs are 12 characters -

ABC 12345 C8 99

ABC = manufactured ID

12345 = Hull SN

C8 = date of Mfg, month and year

99 = year

Jan = A, Feb =B, Mar = C

So this boar was made by ABC marine, hull 12345, march 1998, model year 1999

Your Hull ID

US MB2 Y5017 18 99

I would assume as US manufacture (not counted in the 12 characters), MB2 for Malibu, Hull Y5017, I would assume your 1 is an I, I = Sept, 1998 and 1999 model year

(edited after closer reading of the USCG data and seeing the post below)

Edited by Soon2BV

Very close, so very close.

Zack has it right -

Soon2BV -

The only correction is after the I, the 8 is the year of mfg, where the 99 is the model year.

MB2 - Malibu

Y - Response LX

5012 - Hull Serial #

I - September

8 - Built in 98

99 - Model year

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Zack has it right -

Soon2BV -

The only correction is after the I, the 8 is the year of mfg, where the 99 is the model year.

MB2 - Malibu

Y - Response LX

5012 - Hull Serial #

I - September

8 - Built in 2008

99 - Model year

Uhhh, wouldn't a 99 model year boat have been built, say, in 1998, not 2008? Unless we truly have mastered time travel and the flux capacitor is readily available, along with the Mr. Fusion on the trunk lid of your Delorean... :lol:

thanks for the info about the 99 response lx serial #. I have a couple of other questions that I wonder if you can answer. If the hull was built in Sept of 98, does it have the newer hull shape or is it the earlier hull shape. The reason I ask is that a friend has a 2000 response lx and he says the shape changed in 99. The previous owner has moved the tach to the center of the dashboard. Is it possible that in moving the tach the engine hour meter # would change when it is disconnected or does the info in the hour meter get stored somewhere else in the boat's equipment? Last question is for my friend.. he has the carbureted vortec engine and wonders is a perfect pass system is available for this engine.

Zack has it right -

Soon2BV -

MB2 - Malibu

Y - Response LX

5012 - Hull Serial #

I - September

8 - Built in 2008

99 - Model year

It has the Diamond Hull, which is the better slalom hull.

If you have a Monsoon Motor, you can lift hours off the engine's ECU.

Perfect Pass is available for virtually every inboard application, defanitely the 310 Vortec

Zack has it right -

Soon2BV -

MB2 - Malibu

Y - Response LX

5012 - Hull Serial #

I - September

8 - Built in 2008

99 - Model year

Uhhh, wouldn't a 99 model year boat have been built, say, in 1998, not 2008? Unless we truly have mastered time travel and the flux capacitor is readily available, along with the Mr. Fusion on the trunk lid of your Delorean... :lol:

:lol: Ah yes, the 1 inch mistake. Or was that the 10 year mistake. At least the original poster got it right, but thanks for slapping me on it.

Peter :)

It has the Diamond Hull, which is the better slalom hull.

If you have a Monsoon Motor, you can lift hours off the engine's ECU.

Perfect Pass is available for virtually every inboard application, defanitely the 310 Vortec

I understand that the diamond hull had some modifications for the 99 model year.. would a hull built Sept 98 for model yr 99 have these mods? A further question about the hour meter.. if it is disconnected or replaced with a new unit, will the data be lost or does it come from the engine's ecu?

When hulls change they do so in model years. So although yours was built in 98 it has the 99 hull.

You can replace the tach and the hour meter will show 0 hours on your boat. The only true reading is the engine ECU, ant that too can be replaced for enough $$.

-Chris

I understand that the diamond hull had some modifications for the 99 model year.. would a hull built Sept 98 for model yr 99 have these mods? A further question about the hour meter.. if it is disconnected or replaced with a new unit, will the data be lost or does it come from the engine's ecu?

Actually, the hull didn't change at all for '99. The deck of the boat changed significantly (higher, trunk in the rear, different character lines, etc.), but like Chris said, boats (and cars, and really any other vehicle) are built based on the model year. If a change occurs for that model year (as in 1999 for the Response), any boat from that model year will have those changes (even thought it might have been built in 1998).

I beleive, maybe someone could confirm, that Sanger, since they make less than 1000 boats a year, instead of putting 00, they put the customer's intials as the first 2 serial number caracters. For example US SANDL191E808. Can anybody who customed ordered a Sanger verify this? It works in my case anyways...

Edited by 1FootDan

That's a cool idea.

I was in a Nautique once that had a little plaque on the dash that said this boat was built for Mr. and Mrs. XYZ

That's a cool idea.

I was in a Nautique once that had a little plaque on the dash that said this boat was built for Mr. and Mrs. XYZ

That is cool, until you decide to sell it.

That's a cool idea.

Are they related with Mr. and Mrs. ABC from St-John's Newfoundland?

That's a cool idea.

Depends, if it reads "This boat was built for Mr. and Mrs. Andy Mapple.". Of course if your name is "Wally Fucher" you might not get as much out of it...

That's a cool idea.

Depends, if it reads "This boat was built for Mr. and Mrs. Andy Mapple.". Of course if your name is "Wally Fucher" you might not get as much out of it...

Well Dan I used to own a Flightcraft Barefooter that I bought from a Malibu pro footer. The boat had his name on the side of it. Do you remember Brian Fuchs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Zack has it right -

Soon2BV -

MB2 - Malibu

Y - Response LX

5012 - Hull Serial #

I - September

8 - Built in 98

99 - Model year

quick question: Does Malibu predetermine when the boat will go into production and issue hull #'s accordingly? Specifically, would it be possible to be given a hull # TODAY and have 'K' (november) or 'L' (december) as the month?

Good stuff on the SN. Question, if Malibu is defined as MB2, what is MB1? Does anybody know if the 1 and 2 might designate which plant made the boat? If so, which one is 1 and which one is 2?

You can search the manufacturer identification codes here:

MIC codes

There is no MB1. So it would not offer information about which plant made your Malibu. They will all be MB2s regardless of where they were made.

Edited by rts
quick question: Does Malibu predetermine when the boat will go into production and issue hull #'s accordingly? Specifically, would it be possible to be given a hull # TODAY and have 'K' (november) or 'L' (december) as the month?

i am assuming the number is when the hull is "made" and part of the initial fiberglass lay-up, not when the boat is completed. there could be differences between the two.

I think there are some dealers on here who may know for sure.

They are issued as production calls. But if you order it, I'm sure it will be one since they will build it in the next two months.

Peter

I guess what I'm wondering is : Is it 'weird' that I ordered my boat in October.....and received a hull ID # (first thing in the A.M) on Nov. 3rd (the 1st and 2nd were, obviously, the weekend).....and the hull #had a 'K' as the month?

Thanks for the help!!

i am assuming the number is when the hull is "made" and part of the initial fiberglass lay-up, not when the boat is completed. there could be differences between the two.

I think there are some dealers on here who may know for sure.

Yes, indeed. Check below.

They are issued as production calls.

Peter

bs001, I guess I'm not following your question or what might be 'weird' about it. You ordered a boat in October and it's being built in November. What would be 'weird' is if you ordered to boat in November and it was built in October. . .

I guess what I'm wondering is : Is it 'weird' that I ordered my boat in October.....and received a hull ID # (first thing in the A.M) on Nov. 3rd (the 1st and 2nd were, obviously, the weekend).....and the hull #had a 'K' as the month?

Thanks for the help!!