Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Rider cliche's

-BS-

Posers...... you just have to laugh at the guy with the $60k boat, $1000s of dollars in gear, and he either doesn't ride at all or really sucks at it.

We all gotta start somewhere..... Might as well start off with a sweet boat and sweet gear, that way we dont have to worry about outgrowing the boat we own.

I agree...to each their own.....but I think the burning question on all our minds would be....." if you dont ride that much, or aren't that good couldn't you have saved yourself 30 or 40K and bought a really nice Reinell that would do the job?" ....hell, trade it in when you need something better... ... I'm not the best rider out there,... (I just go big/flat w/grabs) and I would have never spent the extra 20k for a Wakesetter, when Malibu offers the Vride.......which is a great boat and it's all I will (probably ever) need!!

To me its like buying a 5 bedroom house when you have 1 kid...... or building a huge half pipe in your back yard when you can barely skate.........or putting in an olympic sized pool when you can barely swim......

BUT LET ME MAKE MYSELF CLEAR>>>I am just curious......to each their own......i'm not tryn to put anyone down or anything

**** and I saw your boat......It is sick! Have fun out there! Rockon.gif

I'm an awful wakeboarder, but my wife is really good, so whatever she wants she gets.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• masterdinh

• Pat McCrotch

• zad0030

• Sandbagger

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The wakesetter looks so much nicer than the V rider. The interior was very plush. Huge space, very comfortable, and a great sound system. The looks of the boat, and the comfort and luxury sold me. Plus, I am the kinda guy who ALWAYS thinks the grass is greener on the other side so I bought one boat, and I feel like I bought the right boat. No need to worry about upgraded for at least 5 years.

Although I cant wakeboard to save my life, my wife, daughter, and brothers love to. So at the end of the day I guess you can say I bought it for all of us and we all love different things about the boat, my biggest love for the Malibu is the appearance. In my opinion, there is not a better boat than Malibu, and if I am going to spend over $30,000 on a luxury item, you better believe I am not buying cheap stuff.

Just like when I bought my Tundra, I'll never tow anything close to 10k lbs, hell I cant even hook up a trailer (good thing I have valet service at the Marina)! But I still got me a nice truck!!!!! Rockon.gif

Posers...... you just have to laugh at the guy with the $60k boat, $1000s of dollars in gear, and he either doesn't ride at all or really sucks at it.

How good do you have to be before buying nice gear and/ or a watersports boat? Dontknow.gif

I have enough trouble worrying about what I'm spending my own money on, let alone anyone else.

This thread is cracking me up.

Who really cares how good anyone is. Honestly, anyone with a shred of skill probably wont show off around other boats anyways, they are pretty much beyond that whole ego thing anyways...and have learned their lesson the hard way. Case in point I JUST met a guy that rides at the same lake as me. He rides expert and has a few Mobes in his bag. Yet he has never seen me ride and I have never seen him ride...over the course of several years. He rides behind a DD mastercraft and I ride behind 00 vlx w/o graphics. I cant tell you how many times I have been "stared down" by some dude who thought his hs backroll made him "hard". haha. Just because a boat is pulling a bunch of beginners doesn't necessarily mean that one person in that boat can't ride lights out and stomp some tricks. Really, I ride with some pro's on occasion and if people thought my riding was a "indicator" of what the boat's talent level is it would be hilarious.

As far as the nice gear goes...who cares. Most of us could have bought a brand new 50k boat....but we would be working instead of playing to pay for it. I personally chose an older boat and get close to 200-250 hrs of water time a year instead. Ohh, and BY FAR some of the best riders and coolest guys I have met were riding behind old boats. As embarrassing as the trick is....I landed my first whirlybird behind a 89 sunsetter. I watched a guy throw down a rediculous run behind a Reinell with no tower!

Quit b!tchin and go to the lake!

In the end if I had to choose I think I would rather be a crappy wakeboarder that can afford a new VLX as opposed to an expert wakeboarder that can't afford one.

Of course I would like to be an expert wakeboarder that can afford a new VLX, but I guarantee you that that aint gunna happen soon.

Edited by Sandbagger

When you are up, please have your gear in hand and immediately head for the platform. No cig break...........no sandwich.......no stretches...........no tightening your binding screws. Daylight's burnin'.That is all.

I forgot the infamous 1 and done. The person that commits to being your 3rd for the morning, and you are sure to tell them you need a 3rd and they are it and then after they get their pull, "oh I have to be off the lake by *fill in the blank with a time 10 - 30 min from now"

I dont watch other people wakeboard when I am on the lake. If I do, I might glance and admire thier boat (just like I would a nice sports car), but I dont think I ever care to watch someone outside my group wakeboard.

This is a funny thread - lots of people seem to have issues what others do that has no impact to them. My only concerns are around the guys that impact my day on the water..

Like when you find the one piece of non-blown out smooooth water, and there is an a-hole surfing in it. Or when it is you and another boat in a smaller area, and evertime you turn around, they seem to be right on top of you.. like dude - just ride over there, and I'll be over here out of your way! :Doh:

Should a guy that loves wakeboarding and boating buy a crappy boat just because he can't wakeboard very well?

The guy should choose to spend his money anyway he likes. Just like the old man who cant drive very well but buys a Mercedes.

Should a guy that loves wakeboarding and boating buy a crappy boat just because he can't wakeboard very well?

The guy should choose to spend his money anyway he likes. Just like the old man who cant drive very well but buys a Mercedes.

thats right, they can buy what ever they like. but i think its more the attitude. no one likes a smart a**

since you are askn..... no, but should you go out and buy the most expensive/flashy/wakeboard specific boat that Malibu sells? thats up to you.. in my humble opinion its a waste of $. I guess i'm a minimalist.......buy what you need, not what you can, use what you buy, buy it because you're gonna use it, etc.

...as always...I'm just chattn here, not judgn, Malibu makes sweet boats buy what ya like & enjoy it....See ya on the water!

I think you guys forget that "non-wakeboard boats" cost about the same. Meaning you can go drop $80K on a new Cobalt or Crownline if you want a nice 23 foot runabout. If you have the money and you want a nice boat (not a bayliner) then that is what you are going to spend. Last year my wife and i dropped a ton of cash on a new 23ft Crownline... We were both begineer wakeboarders and figured we didn't need a "wakebaord" boat". We loved the Crownline but it sucked for wakeboarding. I figured i could spend more money adding perfect pass, etc... but at the end of the day it really wouldn't fix the problem. We decided to go ahead and trade the Crownline in for a new V-Drive this summer... we ended up with the 23' Malibu.. mainly because we had a nice boat and we wanted our new "wakeboard" boat to be just as nice. The Malibu was less expensive than the Crownline... so it seemed like a deal to us!!!. Since purchasing the Malibu we have advanced a lot in our wakeboarding abilities and we can now surf... so for us it's the perfect boat.

Some people are willing to pay more for a nicer boat (Malibu, MC, Cobalt, Crownline) (60-80Kish)

Some people are more practical and (i'll say it) smarter:)... and they are happy with Bayliners, Moombas, etc. ($40Kish)

I happen to be one of the stupid people who paid 50% more for about 10% more functionality/luxury., but i paid cash so i figure i can spend my money how i want (the guys borrowing against their house to buy a new $60K are far more stupid than i:)

Truth is all the boats get you on the water and they let you hang out with your friends/family.. and that is really what counts.

Edited by gregtay

We all gotta start somewhere..... Might as well start off with a sweet boat and sweet gear, that way we dont have to worry about outgrowing the boat we own.

I agree...to each their own.....but I think the burning question on all our minds would be....." if you dont ride that much, or aren't that good couldn't you have saved yourself 30 or 40K and bought a really nice Reinell that would do the job?" ....hell, trade it in when you need something better... ... I'm not the best rider out there,... (I just go big/flat w/grabs) and I would have never spent the extra 20k for a Wakesetter, when Malibu offers the Vride.......which is a great boat and it's all I will (probably ever) need!!

To me its like buying a 5 bedroom house when you have 1 kid...... or building a huge half pipe in your back yard when you can barely skate.........or putting in an olympic sized pool when you can barely swim......

BUT LET ME MAKE MYSELF CLEAR>>>I am just curious......to each their own......i'm not tryn to put anyone down or anything

**** and I saw your boat......It is sick! Have fun out there! Rockon.gif

I'm an awful wakeboarder, but my wife is really good, so whatever she wants she gets.

You sound just like Malibudude Biggrin.gif

Edited by Mike00LXI

since you are askn..... no, but should you go out and buy the most expensive/flashy/wakeboard specific boat that Malibu sells? thats up to you.. in my humble opinion its a waste of $. I guess i'm a minimalist.......buy what you need, not what you can, use what you buy, buy it because you're gonna use it, etc.

...as always...I'm just chattn here, not judgn, Malibu makes sweet boats buy what ya like & enjoy it....See ya on the water!

Buy what you want, wear what you want, spend as much money as you want, cheer as loud as you want, sit where you want, stand up to see in front if you need to, and just go out an have a good time! I've seen it all, some of the worst wakeboarders I've seen have more fun than some of the best wakeboarders I have seen. Isn't the important thing in life to just go have fun and not worry about what other people do... Thumbup.gif

Oh yeah, isn't it a good thing for the economy if people buy stuff.

Edited by oldyeller

I'm certainly not saying to buy a crappy boat, especially if you have money to burn. But I don't see many reasons for a guy to buy a brand new 23' LSV for his first boat, especially if he doesn't have a large crew established. He can easily have trouble driving it, filling it with gas, filling it with people, docking it, getting it on the trailer, keeping the prop off the rocks, etc, etc. I learned how to drive on other boats, none of which were a POS, but all of which were less costly to repair, easier to drive, etc.

- There is a guy on Sammamish who always used to brag that he was on his original tank of gas in his Nautique.

- Another guy who had a new Supra moored on our dock..... he never came down to check on it. The cover eventually collapsed under the rain water, then tore open, allowing the rain to fill up in the boat for weeks. When he finally came to check on it, the floor was 4" or 5" deep in water.

- I know of a guy on Liberty with a 1 yr old LSV that is beat to hell..... it looks like he left it tied to the dock with no bumpers during a wind storm. It was a beautiful boat, but now is peppered with dings & scratches, broken cleats, jacked up swimstep, etc.

- We see boats being sold online all day long.... less than a year old, 45 hrs, 29 hrs, 74 hrs, and their asking price is like $4k under what they cost new. Obviously their so busy they had no business buying a boat in the first place.

But hey, you guys are right. To each his own. It's just a shame to see such a great boat either not being used at all or getting abused so badly by a guy who just doesn't appreciate what he has. Just happens to be a peeve of mine.

I'm certainly not saying to buy a crappy boat, especially if you have money to burn. But I don't see many reasons for a guy to buy a brand new 23' LSV for his first boat, especially if he doesn't have a large crew established. He can easily have trouble driving it, filling it with gas, filling it with people, docking it, getting it on the trailer, keeping the prop off the rocks, etc, etc. I learned how to drive on other boats, none of which were a POS, but all of which were less costly to repair, easier to drive, etc.

- There is a guy on Sammamish who always used to brag that he was on his original tank of gas in his Nautique.

- Another guy who had a new Supra moored on our dock..... he never came down to check on it. The cover eventually collapsed under the rain water, then tore open, allowing the rain to fill up in the boat for weeks. When he finally came to check on it, the floor was 4" or 5" deep in water.

- I know of a guy on Liberty with a 1 yr old LSV that is beat to hell..... it looks like he left it tied to the dock with no bumpers during a wind storm. It was a beautiful boat, but now is peppered with dings & scratches, broken cleats, jacked up swimstep, etc.

- We see boats being sold online all day long.... less than a year old, 45 hrs, 29 hrs, 74 hrs, and their asking price is like $4k under what they cost new. Obviously their so busy they had no business buying a boat in the first place.

But hey, you guys are right. To each his own. It's just a shame to see such a great boat either not being used at all or getting abused so badly by a guy who just doesn't appreciate what he has. Just happens to be a peeve of mine.

Now you are talking about people who just don't take care of their stuff... entirely different. I still don't understand people who trash their things...but they can do whatever they want.

Now.. about boats... for most people there is only one way to learn what "not to do" when owning a boat... and that is to "do it" and then spend a lot of money fixing your mistake. I agree that i wouldn't recommend that somoene with no boating experiance spend $60K+ on their first boat because they are going to bang it up a bit learning. My first boat was a 20foot runabout and I had it for 8 years.. looks ed like new when i sold it... but i certainly had a few "learning experances" with it (mainly with the prop and the outdrive.) I don't think someone starting out with a 23 foot boat over a 20' boat really makes a differance. (oh.. and ask me to see my LSV in 10 yrs... i promise it will still look new.)

I guess i am just challanging the "you shoudln't buy a nice wakeboard boat if you aren't a pro /experianced boarder".. that's just silly (i would say it's not wise to spend a ton of cash on an expensive boat(regardless of type) if you have no experiance with boats!) I'm an "okay" boarder but i love being on the water and out of all the boats i have owned the Malibu offers the most options for having fun. We love boating, we love boarding, and we love surfing... it seems silly to say "don't get a nice v-drive if you arent' completely dedicated to wakeboarding 100% of the time."

(small note:.. i am not the guy sitting in the middle of the lake with a flashy boat, 15 speakers on the tower, 16 people on board partying, stereo cranked... or just trying to look cool... that's just not my thing. My wife and i have a nice boat that we use to entertain friends, waleboard, and hang out. For right now a v-drive meets our needs.)

This is why boats like the Malibu Tantrum (my first boat) were so popular. You got a great skiboat that didn't break the bank. Some people just don't like buying used things. It's a shame that the price point boats from the top manufacturers have gone away.

My first boat was a seadoo jet boat. 430 HP supercharged, it looked sweet. But then as I learned how to drive it, and I got it on the lake, I really started to admire the wake boats. At first I thought all those boats looked the same, but then I started noticing the attention to detail by each manufacturer. Buying the LSV was not my first boat, and it would have been way too much for me if it was.

Back to the subject. The only thing that annoys me for no good reason is the cigarrette boats hauling but up and down the cove we are riding.

Whats funny when some talk about total price they dont consider the payment. I had a good friend come out once absolutely fell in love with the lake and wanted a boat. Went and looked at BUs decided he couldnt afford one. Well he ended up with a Centurion air warrior about $18000 less than the BU he had looked at. The other day we were talking how he wished his boat performed like mine etc but made the statement i just couldnt afford it. I asked what is your paymet he said $485 or so then i told him mine is $518 hes not so happy about his decision now but he still loves the lake. That is why we all own boats is it not?

And my pet peave is the parasites on the lake called jetskiers all over your wake even with a rider i aim for them anymore!!!

Edited by CRASH

I get upset at the Tige that shows up just as we're leaving and decides to swap skiiers/boarders 20 ft from our buoy in the water... They get one on, then go for a run, and swap again. Shuswap is a huge lake up here, and the purposly did it because we were trying to get out. Some people are just dumb. The promptly gave us another little tolken by having their boarder drop right by out place so that the boat could do a full circle at speed. Stupid people don't deserve. There should be a manditory learn how to drive lesson for all new boat owners... seriously some people are just so dumb even when the have the whole reast of the lake to themselves.

MalibuNation
I get upset at the Tige that shows up just as we're leaving and decides to swap skiiers/boarders 20 ft from our buoy in the water... They get one on, then go for a run, and swap again. Shuswap is a huge lake up here, and the purposly did it because we were trying to get out. Some people are just dumb. The promptly gave us another little tolken by having their boarder drop right by out place so that the boat could do a full circle at speed. Stupid people don't deserve. There should be a manditory learn how to drive lesson for all new boat owners... seriously some people are just so dumb even when the have the whole reast of the lake to themselves.

Sounds like "learn to be courteous" is needed more than "learn to drive"..

I've really struggled to think of "what bugs you (for no good reason)". So far can't think of anything, though next time I am on the 'Bu maybe something will pop into my head. Most of the stuff that bugs me has a very good reason for doing so.