Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

%&#$*!@ Turtle

dkthorn

Unbeleivable!! this may be a little long - but it's worth the read.

We arrive at the local slalom course around 11am this past Saturday to find a few other guys skiing. When they're finished with their set, they wave us on, as we drive by I ask how long they've been out, "since 8:30 or so". We make our first pull and all is fine - approximatley eight runs through the course. When we finish we wave them back on and they go another eight or so pass throughs. Now here's what happened - my buddy is driving I,m skiing - go through first run - no problems turn around come back through - no problems. On my third pass, I'm heading from the 2 ball on my off-side headin to three when I realize the boat is slowing down and I have alot of slack. My first thought was maybe the throttle was bumped by his knee - no problem, it's happened before. As he turns the boat to pick me up he says, "I think we hit something, but I never heard a clunk, it just started vibrating really bad". So we cut the engine, I dove under and sure enough one of the blades was curled. SKI DAY IS DONE - NO SPARE!! The thing is we still have no idea what we hit. I was telling the other guys from the other boat and they said they've skiing the course for the past 10 years or better and never hit a thing. The course is in 5 to 6 feet of water where the boat runs through the gates and the bottom is all muck, kinda like swamp muck, no logs - nothing to hit.

We slowly drive the boat to the launch and get it on the trailer. As I look at the prop I notice not only is it curled over, but it's curled over forward, not backwards. OK, 1 in trillion this will never happen to any of you on the BUCREW. So we start thinking what we hit and how - maybe a snapping turtle, they are becoming more popular in our parts. We're running the boat at 30mph/3000rpm. if my calculation is accurate - that's 50 rpm's per second 1:1 ratio the prop is spinning. For only one blade to get curled and not backwards as most blades do when they're hit - it curled forward. No turtle was ever found - so still not sure what we hit.

Lesson learned - if I had a spare in the truck - we would have been back skiing again in 30 to 45 minutes form the time of damage. TO ALL BUCREW - GET A SPARE AND KEEP IT WITH YOU EVERY TIME YOU HEAD TO THE LAKE!!

Hey, was that you that I stopped to offer help to on Saturday? It was early afternoon in front of the course in the bay off the Fox River and I have a 2008 black and silver Wakesetter.

Mike

Hey, was that you that I stopped to offer help to on Saturday? It was early afternoon in front of the course in the bay off the Fox River and I have a 2008 black and silver Wakesetter.

Mike

Were you on Pistakee one of the past few weekends? I may have seen you. I have the Vapor/Black 06 VLX on the Island.

We were in Dutches Creek - you may have stopped to talk to my buddy while I hitched a ride from the other guys to get my truck and trailer. My LXi is white and midnight blue (looks black from a distance) Probably wasn't me on Pistakee though - we launch and head right to the course, not much boating on the lakes.

I'll have the new prop by this weekend and plan to be at the Creek again by noon. The two of you guys stop bye - however I may leave my boat at home and ski behind my buddies ProStar 190 (all white and black with silver and red stripe)

That water is so brown the snorkel and mask would be useless. Visibility is about 6 inches Dontknow.gif

I'll probably stop by the course this weekend to hookup. While you're looking here, go down a few threads to the "other boaters following too closely" item - that's what happened to me after offering help to you not five minutes later. It just wasn't fair to have a great day spoiled like that.

I hope the weather will accommodate some time out this weekend Yahoo.gif .

Mike

Mike

Were you on Pistakee one of the past few weekends? I may have seen you. I have the Vapor/Black 06 VLX on the Island.

That could have been us too. We go to Pistakee Bay to surf only and it usually pretty early if it was the weekend. We need to hookup at some point before the season ends. The slalom course is always a good place since it is out of traffic and usually very calm water even when it's busy.

Mike

Sounds good Coach Mike......I'll look at th eother thread. Not sure if I'll have my boat or my buddies ProStar, but we should be there around 11am to noon.

Sounds good Coach Mike......I'll look at th eother thread. Not sure if I'll have my boat or my buddies ProStar, but we should be there around 11am to noon.

Fox Lake boaters on the crew! Sorry to hear about the prop. Wish I could get on the water my season ended 2 months ago when I broke my leg wakeboarding on the river at Port Barrington. My Lxi is for sale if you know of anyone looking Whistling.gif Thanks

Coach Mike and I might be meeting at the Slalom course Sat. You said 11, so I will try to be there around then. We will be surfing in Pistakee if you want to find us before that (if I can find a spotter). PM me if you want my number.

Coach Mike and I might be meeting at the Slalom course Sat. You said 11, so I will try to be there around then. We will be surfing in Pistakee if you want to find us before that (if I can find a spotter). PM me if you want my number.

If I can get my crew up for it we might head over to surf for a while too.

Joel, he has the blue 06. He has been to our lake a few times and one of their crew pulled me footing this summer. The ski world is small.

Edited by martho

Sweet. I'm more about surfing anyhow. I'll bet your surf wake is better than mine being a 23. What ballast do you run?

We run a 750 in the back locker, stock side, stock center and wedge.

Sweet. I'm more about surfing anyhow. I'll bet your surf wake is better than mine being a 23. What ballast do you run?

We run a 750 in the back locker, stock side, stock center and wedge.

Fill the back to one side, center, and front and power wedge to best wake size. New to the sport and boat so I don't know if that's the best yet but it works pretty well for us.

Great boat so far. We wakeboard mostly and I foot and slalom but haven't done either on this boat yet.

Hey M3Fan.....martho is right, it's the Malibu midnight blue for '06 and white. Good to hear there are some die hard skiers around still

Jim called me last night and we'll be at the slalom course at 2:00 today if anyone is interested.

Mike