Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing behind a LSV 23 '08

PowPowPatrol

Hi,

I am new to this forum and Malibu boats...

A few weeks ago we purchased an 08 LSV 23. We have been surfing in the ocean for more than 30 years and based on everything we had heard this new wake surfing thing was a lot of fun. It sure is...

I read with interest many of the previous posts on setting up the wake and we are still learning. We took some photos and video last weekend and I figured I would post it and see whether we are even close.

Our setup:

5 people - stacked on the rider side.

750 in the rear locker.

750 on the rider side seat

450 on the back seat.

rear ballast full

center ballast empty.

Preset "Surf-L" or "Surf-R"

Power Wedge in MAX ballast position (12 O'Clock)

Speed 10 - 10.4 knots

Here are a few pics:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://gallery.me.com/alramadan#100254/IMG_1358]

%7Boption%7Dhttp://gallery.me.com/alramadan#100254/IMG_1363]

%7Boption%7Dhttp://gallery.me.com/alramadan#100254/IMG_1443]

I also have a video:

Are we close?

Questions...

1. We found that if we fill the center ballast the wave washes out at the top. We ended up using speed to control the length of the wave. Is this unique to the 08 LSV? Any suggestions on managing the wave length?

2. We had goofie footers with us and the wave looked better. Is this boat better suited to Goofie or Regular footers? I thought it was regular but the wake definately looked better on the right side...

3. Should we steer the boat straight or should we steer into the wake on the rider side? Does it matter?

4. Should we tow off the Tower or the pilon?

Thanks very much!

Hi,

I am new to this forum and Malibu boats...

A few weeks ago we purchased an 08 LSV 23. We have been surfing in the ocean for more than 30 years and based on everything we had heard this new wake surfing thing was a lot of fun. It sure is...

I read with interest many of the previous posts on setting up the wake and we are still learning. We took some photos and video last weekend and I figured I would post it and see whether we are even close.

Our setup:

5 people - stacked on the rider side.

750 in the rear locker.

750 on the rider side seat

450 on the back seat.

rear ballast full

center ballast empty.

Preset "Surf-L" or "Surf-R"

Power Wedge in MAX ballast position (12 O'Clock)

Speed 10 - 10.4 knots

Here are a few pics:

%7Boption%7Dhttp://gallery.me.com/alramadan#100254/IMG_1358]

%7Boption%7Dhttp://gallery.me.com/alramadan#100254/IMG_1363]

%7Boption%7Dhttp://gallery.me.com/alramadan#100254/IMG_1443]

I also have a video:

Are we close?

Questions...

1. We found that if we fill the center ballast the wave washes out at the top. We ended up using speed to control the length of the wave. Is this unique to the 08 LSV? Any suggestions on managing the wave length?

2. We had goofie footers with us and the wave looked better. Is this boat better suited to Goofie or Regular footers? I thought it was regular but the wake definately looked better on the right side...

3. Should we steer the boat straight or should we steer into the wake on the rider side? Does it matter?

4. Should we tow off the Tower or the pilon?

Thanks very much!

That looks awesome. How fast are you going? I am gonna try that this weekend.

If you're running that much weight in the back you should have center and bow MLS full. You'll lengthen out the wave and have more push. Check out the 09' LSV review to see what that boat will do with just 650 in the rear, 300 under the seats, and full mls minus non-surf side. No pumping needed with the above setup. I think you have to much weight in the rear and not enought in the front. Work the wedge to your liking. I sure hope you're talking MPH and not Knots. Knots are for sail boats and cruise ships Whistling.gif .

Edited by 06vlx

Your wake it too narrow and it looks like you are going too fast for your set up. Below is a photo of our 2008 23LSV with no additional ballast... just a the factory tanks. Set up was:

Rear side: Full

Center: Full

Front: 1/2 full

Wedge all the way down (7o'clock on the gauge (so not the factory "surf" position)

Speed: 9.8 mph.

6 people on board (in the corner of course)

This was our from our first weekend with the boat so we played around a lot trying to dial things in. No pump'ing needed... you can just stand back there all day. We even had 2 people back there surfing together for a bit.

2847997673_9e20375ba0_b.jpg

That's great and all but surfing regular side with only stock MLS is near impossible. Well at least it's just not worth it to me anyways. I'm sure you know how the dark side wake is compensated with the prop rotation. It's literally 2X bigger in the Goofy side with just stock MLS and wedge utilized on this boat.

That's great and all but surfing regular side with only stock MLS is near impossible. Well at least it's just not worth it to me anyways. I'm sure you know how the dark side wake is compensated with the prop rotation. It's literally 2X bigger in the Goofy side with just stock MLS and wedge utilized on this boat.

We had about the same results on both sides. I have a photo from the same angle but the other side somewhere... i will dig it up and post. For now i will post this. It's hard to see the wave since there's 2 riders

2848827132_54f5a8ce3a_b.jpg

We had about the same results on both sides. I have a photo from the same angle but the other side somewhere... i will dig it up and post. For now i will post this. It's hard to see the wave since there's 2 riders

2848827132_54f5a8ce3a_b.jpg

I don't think that's possible. One side will always be better and that depends on prop rotation. You are nearly on the swim platform on that pic.

Does the 09 VLX have a better goofy wake as well. What boat has the best port side wake. I know the Enzo has a really good port side wake.

Edited by peter19u