Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Home prop repair

Lance B. Johnson

yesterday the wind pushed my boat into some rocks while it was anchored. The boat seemed fine for the rest of the day but when I pulled it out of the water I noticed a bend in one of the blades.

It is slight, about the size of a dime, and in only one blade as the boat was not running.

Can this be bent back? Heat or no heat?

I have been very successful with my previous boat bending them back by hand, but it was an aluminum prop, not nibral

I've used a ball peen hammer and a shaping anvil to fix a couple of mine when the tips have been bent. I plan on getting them checked/balaced once we aren't riding so much. They run smooth so I figure I'm ok for awhile.......

I've used a ball peen hammer and a shaping anvil to fix a couple of mine when the tips have been bent. I plan on getting them checked/balaced once we aren't riding so much. They run smooth so I figure I'm ok for awhile.......

Thanks, similar to the method I used. Any signs of cracking when they are bent back?

I've had sucess with a crescent wrench. I know on the surface that might sound dumb but it worked well. Being able to close the wrench to just a bit wider than the thickness of the blade worked well. Take lots of little bites not one big bite if you choose to try this method.

Edited by LS-One

I've done both the hammer and crescent wrench methods and had good results ... with the same intentions of balancing later as long as they ride smooth after the adjustments.

I would have the prop looked at and fixed professionally. Any vibration from an improper repair will not be worth the savings. A minor ding cost me $75 will worth it when you consider the cost of your drive train.

Yup, fixed the aluminum props the same way. I said it was the size of a dime, really it is smaller. I tell you what, yesterday with the wind I was embarassed to have a nice boat.........the other people got to sit around and watch me because they just did not care that much about their boat. :blush: I was the only one out there trying to get their boat anchored and eventually had to anchor out and swim back to shore.

Anyone know were to download circus music? Whistling.gif

I just searched iTunes and they have plenty of funny circus music on there! Maybe you can get a song and load it up on your tower so everyone at least gets a good laugh next time you have to anchor your boat!

I've had sucess with a crescent wrench. I know on the surface that might sound dumb but it worked well. Being able to close the wrench to just a bit wider than the thickness of the blade worked well. Take lots of little bites not one big bite if you choose to try this method.

Two crescent wrenches are also a great tool, keep one holding and one bending back. Allows for a bit more control

-Chris

Two crescent wrenches are also a great tool, keep one holding and one bending back. Allows for a bit more control

-Chris

I use a block of wood and a hammer. If you use an anvil or other metal and hit the prop with a hammer both sides of the blade get dented. Another tool I use is a straight edge, tap the blade, use the straight edge blade to blade to check and compaire.

I just searched iTunes and they have plenty of funny circus music on there! Maybe you can get a song and load it up on your tower so everyone at least gets a good laugh next time you have to anchor your boat!

ROTFLMAO there is so much damage a improperly balanced prop can cause just pay a reputable prop repair facility to fix it!!