Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Has Watersports peaked?

hrybls

Have we seen the peak of watersports?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Have we seen the peak of watersports?

• Yes, we have peaked
    • No, we have not peaked
    • We have Temporarily Peaked, but wait 5 years watersports will climb a higher mountain.

Compare Malibu's line-up 10 years ago, calculate the average cost of their median boat, uplift for inflation....

..... compare to.....

..... Malibu's current line-up and median price.

Malibu, like the other big guys, have gone bigger, more bling, more features, more technology. All costs money. MORE than the inflation of the median 1999 price tothe median 2009 price.

Economy not in good shape.

Maybe time for Malibu to bring back the Sporty, and don't scrap those Response LX molds just yet!

the fact a good watersports boat cost $50 grand minimum and gas is nearly $4.00 a gallon, I can't see how you can think watersports hasn't peaked.

The barriers to entry preventing people from getting into watersports are just too great. First, you have to live within resonable distance to a body of water, Second, you have to have, or be close with someone who has a boat.

Isn't everywhere within a couple hrs of a body of water? If not, then why would you live there? :unsure: Who says you need a $50k boat to enjoy being on the water? Could this be one of the issues today - that everyone needs to have "the best"... There are plenty of great boats for 1/2 that much.

Watersports are simply evolving - great time to buy a boat ;)

A couple hours??? I don't even have any kids yet, and I can't imagine having to drive a couple hours each time I wanted to ski. You certainly don't need a $50K boat, I'd know as I only spent $20K on mine.....but that's still a lot of money. I do agree if you have the means, now is a great time to buy a boat. No offense to those who frequent this board, but I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of repossessed boats out there.

Edited by spinxt

I really thought my home lake would have less traffic, but I saw/see more new boats everytime I go out.

I saw an older xstar, 22ssv, CC236, 07/08 VLX, and dozens of new i/o boats this year. I know the owners are new by 1)their loading technique(or lack thereof) and 2)newly purchased boats get a little green sticker for the first month or two.

There will be a new peak sales year off in the future. No doubt, too much population growth, too much money wanting to be invesed somewhere to fire up the economy when everything settles out. The next Malibu factory will probably be in China, selling to the new middle class there. Yes.gif

I believe, in AZ at least, that we have seen the peak of watersports for some time. Every one and their bro bought a cheap home and then refinanced to buy all the "toys" that we are currently seeing everyone using (lifted trucks, toy haulers, quads, bikes, boats, etc...) Now we see all these "toys" for sale as people start to see that they are upside down in their homes and can no longer afford them Crazy.gif Makes me happy that I'm frugal ;) I may not have the newest Bu at the lake or the latest and greatest truck to pull it their, but both are nice and both are pd for Thumbup.gif Fuel and insurance are cheap compared to payments and interest

Couldn't have said it better. When it comes to toys I live by the rule that if you can't pay cash you can't afford it! I may not have the newest bu but it's paid for.

I agree to a point... but I got a loan for mine even though I had the money to pay for it. Seems silly to me to to pay cash when I can get a loan for 4.75% and take the money I would have spent and buy tax free muni bonds and make 6.5% .

Don't get me wrong, I do agree w/ your thinking if you have the moola to do that. However, you are not the people that I'm talking about. Seems to me that you are fiscally responsible, as am I, but it seems that a growing percentage of people are not. Sad, but true!

I'm sure all recreational non essentials are slowing down. But it will be back. I truly believe there is a cycle to everything.

Way I look at it; everything is "on sale" right now. If you have been financially responsible and wise over the last ~10 years, we are approaching an excellent time to make a few purchases for a bargain.

I believe, in AZ at least, that we have seen the peak of watersports for some time. Every one and their bro bought a cheap home and then refinanced to buy all the "toys" that we are currently seeing everyone using (lifted trucks, toy haulers, quads, bikes, boats, etc...) Now we see all these "toys" for sale as people start to see that they are upside down in their homes and can no longer afford them Crazy.gif Makes me happy that I'm frugal ;) I may not have the newest Bu at the lake or the latest and greatest truck to pull it their, but both are nice and both are pd for Thumbup.gif Fuel and insurance are cheap compared to payments and interest

Good philosophy!

Perhaps too many without the resources bought too much boat for too long.

No surprise it's imploding, in boats as well as many other areas, as the rug was pulled out (too much credit).

If many bought used boats for a fraction of the price of new, they could actually afford them, and we wouldn't be where we are today.

Boating is great, but you don't need $50K to enjoy boating.

(but daddy, we NEED the $10K stereo.....)

It has definitely peaked here in Central Oregon. There are 30 percent less boats on Billy Chinook. In the previous two years it was hard to find a place to park your boat trailer but this year no problem.

Keep in mind there are always people that have more money than sense. We all vouch for the family aspect of this sport do we think others don’t feel the same way? The wallies will always be out there just a fact

Boat sales while they have slowed imho will continue to grow and evolve. The prices of new boats are getting very expensive and beyond the means of many. The used boat market while difficult at this time will take off first once the market stabilizes as you’ll be able to get slightly used boats for ridiculous prices that before just weren’t within their means.

I love the picture! SWEET Thumbup.gif

Couldn't have said it better. When it comes to toys I live by the rule that if you can't pay cash you can't afford it! I may not have the newest bu but it's paid for.

I agree to a point... but I got a loan for mine even though I had the money to pay for it. Seems silly to me to to pay cash when I can get a loan for 4.75% and take the money I would have spent and buy tax free muni bonds and make 6.5% .

Don't get me wrong, I do agree w/ your thinking if you have the moola to do that. However, you are not the people that I'm talking about. Seems to me that you are fiscally responsible, as am I, but it seems that a growing percentage of people are not. Sad, but true!

Could not agree with all of you more! DITTO

Although we won't get much for my family's boat, if things potentially work out my family could be presented with a great opportunity to buy some nice boats for cheap.

I dunno if you guys saw this link in the "cliche thread" but, here's a pretty funny boat reposession that was on t.v. the other night.

<a href="http://www.trutv.com/video/operation-repo/...?link=truTVshlk" target="_blank">http://www.trutv.com/video/operation-repo/...?link=truTVshlk</a>

ROFL.gifROFL.gifROFL.gif I seen that on TV!!!!! Sad, but true, this may happen to my neighbors as his wife speaks w/ mine and lets her in on some of her little secrets Whistling.gif

• 4 months later...
the fact a good watersports boat cost $50 grand minimum and gas is nearly $4.00 a gallon, I can't see how you can think watersports hasn't peaked.

The barriers to entry preventing people from getting into watersports are just too great. First, you have to live within resonable distance to a body of water, Second, you have to have, or be close with someone who has a boat.

Isn't everywhere within a couple hrs of a body of water? If not, then why would you live there? :unsure: Who says you need a $50k boat to enjoy being on the water? Could this be one of the issues today - that everyone needs to have "the best"... There are plenty of great boats for 1/2 that much.

Watersports are simply evolving - great time to buy a boat ;)

A couple hours??? I don't even have any kids yet, and I can't imagine having to drive a couple hours each time I wanted to ski. You certainly don't need a $50K boat, I'd know as I only spent $20K on mine.....but that's still a lot of money. I do agree if you have the means, now is a great time to buy a boat. No offense to those who frequent this board, but I have a feeling there are going to be a lot of repossessed boats out there.

I drive two hours each way to our lake 2 to 3 times a month with a 2 1/2 year old. It's a fact of life for most people in California.

Ditto.

I drive a minimum of 1:45 to the Delta. Mrs Faceplant hates the Delta, so we usually go to Berryessa which is 2 hrs door to ramp.

Patrick

we usually go to Berryessa which is 2 hrs door to ramp.

ouch, i thought it was bad with about 45 min door to ramp for my boats midweek sessions. during school terms i can be at the lake in about 5 Biggrin.gif

I'll throw my .02 in... My caveat is that I only know about the three event boating world- the rest is in the noise for me. I think tournament waterskiing is in dire straits and is probably dead already- the promo boat programs from the big three are dying and don't work anymore and with them gone the boats will dry up and tournaments will soon be gone too. Certainly, people not having money in their pockets to spend on luxury items doesn't help, it's also the boat mfg's fault in building all the bling and stuff into these boats. I bought a new 94 MC in late 94 and paid $20K, my RLXi doesn't have anything significantly better then my 94 had and for a lot more money. Look at any three event boat now and even the cheap ones are still $40K. Even people who have money have to think long and hard about spending that kind of money. It's completely ridiculous the money these boats cost. They are essentially the same size as they were in the early 90's and they are nearing triple the price... Not the value they used to be.

It has definitely peaked here in Central Oregon. There are 30 percent less boats on Billy Chinook. In the previous two years it was hard to find a place to park your boat trailer but this year no problem.

If there is an upside to this it may be that for those of us who have no choice but to ski on public lakes the availability of good water (read smooth, undisturbed by other boaters) may improve. We've always been dawn patrolers anyway and have to drive 40 - 45 minutes each way to get to the couple of lakes we're able ski on. The wally lake 7 minutes from my home is impossible except for early season and after school starts in the late summer. With it getting harder financially for the average wally boater maybe we'll get start getting some opportunities to do dawn patrol closer to home?

Ed

If there is an upside to this it may be that for those of us who have no choice but to ski on public lakes the availability of good water (read smooth, undisturbed by other boaters) may improve. We've always been dawn patrolers anyway and have to drive 40 - 45 minutes each way to get to the couple of lakes we're able ski on. The wally lake 7 minutes from my home is impossible except for early season and after school starts in the late summer. With it getting harder financially for the average wally boater maybe we'll get start getting some opportunities to do dawn patrol closer to home?

Ed

We are hoping for the same thing on our local public lake. However, it may turn out to be the opposite. With all the great deals on new and used boats, there may be a whole new generation of wallies on the lake this year.

I was talking to Mike Seipel and Keith St. Onge about theis very topic a couple of weeks ago. Things are definitely going to change. The boating market is going in the dumps and we have Obammy to blame for that. But I don't want to go into that any further.

The main thing we talked about is where the individual watersports are at. I think wakeboarding has peaked. Mike described it like this: Kids see what's going on with wakeboarding and discover that it's no longer "cool" to be able to jump the wake on a wakeboard. Now you gotta be able to do advanced flips before it's cool.

So, kids are looking for something different. And more folks are going to discover kneeboarding because of how simple it is to learn. Only tubing is easier. And, the potential for new advanced tricks is huge. Yeah, it sounds biased coming from me, but I've personally seen kneeboarding grow in the past few years.

I was talking to Mike Seipel and Keith St. Onge about theis very topic a couple of weeks ago. Things are definitely going to change. The boating market is going in the dumps and we have Obammy to blame for that. But I don't want to go into that any further.

The main thing we talked about is where the individual watersports are at. I think wakeboarding has peaked. Mike described it like this: Kids see what's going on with wakeboarding and discover that it's no longer "cool" to be able to jump the wake on a wakeboard. Now you gotta be able to do advanced flips before it's cool.

So, kids are looking for something different. And more folks are going to discover kneeboarding because of how simple it is to learn. Only tubing is easier. And, the potential for new advanced tricks is huge. Yeah, it sounds biased coming from me, but I've personally seen kneeboarding grow in the past few years.

Holy smokes Tuneman Shocking.gif

Two months into office and your actually blaming HIM for the boating market decline? After the leadership decisions made in the past decade? I mean really Dude, come on.

I agree that certain watersports may have peaked like wakeboarding, the degree of segregation for each type will likely be determined more so after this seasons turn out on the public waterways.

Just as some have mentioned in previous posts, the feasibility of enjoying any watersports, much less the more pricey ones like wakeboarding due to the overwhelming cost of boating equipment needed (or desired anyway), is becoming farther out of reach for the average person.

When you get so many people leaving the water and decreasing numbers of boat buyers, new or used, the ripple effect will probably feed on itself because of less friends or family going with said people. It will likely keep many potentially interested people from being introduced to most watersports as well.

In the near future we may start hearing statements like these in certain circles.

>I use to waterski

>We use to go out on the lake before my buddy got rid of his boat

>I’ve never tried to ski before, we don’t know anyone who owns a boat --- (That sounds so said, doesn’t it?)

Maybe even hear questions like…

>What is a wakeboard? Or How can you afford a tow vehicle and the fuel to even get a boat to the water?

The bright side for this summer is possibility less wally encounters.

For those of us still able to enjoy the privileges of boating and watersports, please go out of your way to take people out on the water with you regularly and share the fun with as many as you can, as often as you can. A day on the water is like going to Disneyland for some kids and adults that are less fortunate.

Now more than ever, what our parents said when we were younger rings true and is necessary in these times…share your toys with everyone.

...The boating market is going in the dumps and we have Obammy to blame for that...

I think that it is fairly obvious that I am no Obama supporter but that is a bit of a stretch even for me. There are enough "Obama Hammering" threads Thumbup.gif let's not turn this into one as well.

...mainly because I'm sick of hearing about the man and wish to slide into denial. :lol:

...The boating market is going in the dumps and we have Obammy to blame for that...

I think that it is fairly obvious that I am no Obama supporter but that is a bit of a stretch even for me. There are enough "Obama Hammering" threads Thumbup.gif let's not turn this into one as well.

...mainly because I'm sick of hearing about the man and wish to slide into denial. :lol:

Agreed, please keep the political comments in the proper forum. This is not the proper forum.

Ed