Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sunscape 20 LSV Slalom Wake

SmoothWaterMan

No surfing behind a 20 LSV with just a wedge...somehow that 1000 lbs just isn't enough. ;)

Skiing is quite nice at 32 or up, I find enough difference free-skiing between 30 and 32 to use the higher.

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

In my outspoken opinion, the FXi is for someone that can't wrap their head around owning a V-drive, and prefer the optional ballast tank and higher freeboard as compared to the RLXi. For the rest of us that can get over owning a V-drive, it really does excel in it's class.

The only down falls for me personally is I haven' figured out how to fabricate a boom forward of the windshield (without using a gunnel mount), and the wake table is not flat enough for barefoot wake slalom. But to own just one boat, and for overall use of slalom, barefoot, wakeboard and kids.....The Suncape 20/VTX is the boat for me.

Peter :)

To further my thoughts on a better wake table for barefooting....

If you look closely, you can see a smooth spot for 40 mph barefoot wakes in the left half of this photo. Hopefully I'll get to try it this week, along with another idea I have. The other half is the standard wake at 41 mph. I thought it was interesting how much I could change it, and lose most of the middle "tail" of the triple tail wake design that works so well for slalom skiing.

S20LSVBarefootWakes.jpg

Edited by SmoothWaterMan
No surfing behind a 20 LSV with just a wedge...somehow that 1000 lbs just isn't enough. ;)

Skiing is quite nice at 32 or up, I find enough difference free-skiing between 30 and 32 to use the higher.

Any idea how this compares to the vRide??

For skiing it blows the vRide away. No comparison.

For wakeboarding or surfing you'd need the Wakesetter VTX with the 3 stock tanks or the optional 4th tank (bow), and a wedge is nice.

Peter

Peter,

Great pics. After my first season with our Sunscape 20 with center ballast, power wedge, and illusion tower we love the versatility. My question is what prop to recommend with our 320 LCR. Don't want to sacrifice any of the top end (46-47mph with stock prop at about 5000 rpms)as we barefoot, jump, and ski mostly, but still end up boarding, kneeboarding, and wakesurfing with family and friends. Thanks!

Peter,

Great pics. After my first season with our Sunscape 20 with center ballast, power wedge, and illusion tower we love the versatility. My question is what prop to recommend with our 320 LCR. Don't want to sacrifice any of the top end (46-47mph with stock prop at about 5000 rpms)as we barefoot, jump, and ski mostly, but still end up boarding, kneeboarding, and wakesurfing with family and friends. Thanks!

If you "prop" down you'll loose some top end. If you don't mind taking a bit more time to get on plane when loaded w/ ballast then I'd get a prop more suited for the top end.

To further my thoughts on a better wake table for barefooting....

If you look closely, you can see a smooth spot for 40 mph barefoot wakes in the left half of this photo. Hopefully I'll get to try it this week, along with another idea I have. The other half is the standard wake at 41 mph. I thought it was interesting how much I could change it, and lose most of the middle "tail" of the triple tail wake design that works so well for slalom skiing.

S20LSVBarefootWakes.jpg

Peter,

Iam assuming that the wake changes are do to ballast. Correct? Looks like you filled the rear ballast to create that tail

SmoothWater, do you notice much difference in the troughs between the FXi and VTX at about 32mph and 15 & 22 off? I almost liked and thought the VTX (w/ cut diamond hull) had less of a trough compared to the FXi. I skied them a week apart and now I want to prove this feeling wrong and go try them both again because it doesn't seem to make sense that it would be this way, if you know what I mean.

I swear the more time I spend in the VTX with diamond hull the more I love that boat and think it's time to downsize.