Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

steering wheel change

kknudsen12

We have a '96 RLX, and I think it would be fun to make a few upgrades, including changing the steering wheel. I like the Isotta wheels in the new Malibu's, and have found a few other steering wheels online that I like too. However, what would I actually need to switch steering wheels? If I bought one, will I need additional parts, or is it as simple as removing the original and screwing the new one on?

i changed mine to a mahogany wheel, and added the mahogany throttle ball and it looks kickazz. very easy change just pop the center cover and pull the nut off. its a tapered fit and mine had threaded holes so i used my steering wheel puller, it came right off just like autos do. if you want to see mine i'll need an email address as i don't know how to post a pic on here.

i changed mine to a mahogany wheel, and added the mahogany throttle ball and it looks kickazz. very easy change just pop the center cover and pull the nut off. its a tapered fit and mine had threaded holes so i used my steering wheel puller, it came right off just like autos do. if you want to see mine i'll need an email address as i don't know how to post a pic on here.

If you want to post pictures:

1. Sign up for a photobucket account http://photobucket.com

2. Upload the photo by selecting "Choose files"

up.jpg

3. Click on the "Direct Link" under the picture you want to copy it to you clipboard

Bucket.jpg

4. Go back to MalibuCrew and click the "Insert image" icon

pic.jpg

5. Hit Control+V to paste the URL there.

Easier way: Buy a subscription to the site

It depends which steering wheel you have now. I have changed mine twice. The first time I switched to the Issota wheel with the flat bottom I had to change the hub also. This year I switched to the new style Issota wheel and it just screwed right on.

You should really just upgrade to rack and pinion while your doing that and actually improve the boats performance.

-Chris

Ok, so I really know nothing about steering... What kind of steering does my boat have now, and what difference would rack and pinion make? Also, how much would that cost?