Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what is your seasons length

h20sportsbum

I am lying in bed this morning at 3:30 because my six month old daughter decided she wasn't going to go back to sleep for 2 hours and of course I have to be at work at 8 this morning. Anyway back to the topic at hand, I was lying in bed and thinking it is supposed to be in the mid 80s this weekend and I won't be able to go to the lake. Next friday is going to be 69. It looks like my season is winding down. I have been out as late as mid october around here. Just used a full wetsuit. When does everybody elses season end.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Addictedto6

• Green_Giant

• VinRLX

• Sixball

Although most of my Malibu boating is done in upstate NY (where ski season is over), we have a lake in northern NJ that we use till as late as the end of October. Unfortunately they started draining that lake down two weeks ago, so boating and skiing are done there too. Last year we (Baddog and I) skied as late as the first weekend of November there. I will still boat (but not ski) in upstate NY with my outboard Winner boat to enjoy the fall foliage, and still might get another ski or two in on the salt water of NJ, but it has been a cool end of summer/early fall here this year. The Bu does not see salt water, that is why I still have my Winner which has 3700 hours on it (3rd motor though).

Edited by electricjohn

When I can't find a third...around thanksgiving. However, my little bu is always ready to roll...heated garage is a plus.

Edited by johnsvt

Sigh... where we are, the season starts around June, and continues until you can't stand the water any more or the water level is too low. Usually ends up being around the beginning of september. As long as the water's above 65 degrees F, I'll be more than happy to get on the water.

We can ski out here year round depending on water levels.

I usually hang it up after Halloween.

so unbelieveably jealous.... you have no idea.

Edited by CrazyTegger

We are usually in the water during the last week or so of April and continue on until the snow flies. Two years ago I skied on October 24th. It was 24 deg c (75 f)and the water was about 5 deg c (41 F). In a shorty wetsuit. That first tumble was an eye opener. This year we have had to cut it short to get the boat in for some gelcoat repairs.

Usually Late April/Early May depending on the weather/ice, then out around mid October when the piers get taken apart. I'm too lazy to trailer it back and forth, so it's usually mid Oct when we're done.

Rode last night. 63 water & about 65 air temps. Supposed to be almost 80 tomorrow so I'm sure we'll do it again. A drysuit will get me below the 100 degree rule easily..... maybe end of November? But we've done it all year before too. Definitely have to figure out how to expedite the winterization of the boat process.

Late February to November 30.

I've skied in January in the past as well, but usually prefer to hit the mountains.

By end of February, the days are starting to get a little longer and it's warming up so mix in water & snow skiing based on weather.

Edited by Addictedto6

We go in as soon as the ice goes out. Never been in later than April 15. the boat comes out around the last of Oct or the first week of Nov. I leave to go hunting around the 10th of Nov and I can't trust leaving the boat on the lift well I am gone. This time of the year is some of the best skiing no competition.

The ice comes off the lake in mid may. We usually get the boat in the water about 2 minutes later and keep it in until 2 weeks after labour day. If it starts snowing in September, I get a flood of phone calls telling me to winterize my boat please. If it's sunny and 80 in September, it's because my boat is already winterized. We get a solid 5 months that can be stretched to 6, but it's punishing.

Depending on how cold it gets, our last years season ended in the middle of Oct. I hope to stretch it out to Nov. this year but we'll see how the water holds up. Went out yesterday and the air was almost 95 and the water was between 76-78 depending on where we were, can't beat that for the beginning of Oct. Thumbup.gif but the cold comes quick Cry.gif

Edited by 68Slalom

year round in Austin, TX, but we're a bit more selective when we choose the days to go out in Jan/Feb. I didn't even need to use a drysuit last year....

Edited by atxfletch

We start using neo tops this time of year and will soon switch to drysuits and go until late November or early December. We usually start up again in late February or early March in drysuits. The biggest problem around here for us is that the river is running very high and fast with lots (more than usual) of debris from the rains and mountain runoff.

I used to winterize the boat from December to March, but now that I have indoor storage I don't winterize anymore, so if good conditions emerge, we can get out.

Mid-March we're up & running- for open water. Course goes in by mid-April, stays in until just before Thanksgiving. That's a solid 8-month season. We could go all winter if we wanted to fuss with drysuits & de-/re-winterizing, but it's nice to have a break for other activities, too- especially around the holidays.

The past two seasons water levels have been a bigger limiting factor than temps.

This year our season started on February 3rd and last year ended the weekend before Thanksgiving. We’ll probably hit the water once or twice during Dec/Jan depending upon weather. We’ll probably finish the season w/ upwards of 170 hours +/-.

Winterization what’s that… :)

This year our season started on February 3rd and last year ended the weekend before Thanksgiving. We’ll probably hit the water once or twice during Dec/Jan depending upon weather. We’ll probably finish the season w/ upwards of 170 hours +/-.

My boat will be winterized soon, but will be riding as long as I am invited over the hill. Whistling.gif

April/May until Oct ... so hard to find a 3rd late in the season. My 2 main skiers are rabid deer hunters and they would rather work on their deer camps than ski. I have been hanging out with friends from work who traded in their 23' Cobalt for a 25' Tritoon with a 225 hp OB, that pulls me fine. The like to drink, I like to ski so it works out great and they don't mind. I have to ski early as I have to take over driving duties ... if you know what I mean - being on the water is all I care about.

Malibudude, I'll look you up if I go to Napa, CA for Christmas. Not going to drag my ski or double bubba wet or dry suit across the county, but I could spot, thanks

Here in NC I go until about year end. Water is fine through Oct, but I usually wear a heater shirt/shorts through Nov and spring suit in dec. Some go all year, but just too cold for me in Jan/Feb/early March and I hate wakeboarding in wet/dry suit. Right now is prime time on the lake since most people are doing other things.

But I have many friends that hang it up around end of October until last freeze in early spring.

We have a small weather station up at our lake house linked to the internet and I just checked it says water is 75F degrees at 9:15am (northeast NC). Not bad.