Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I lost my winter storage

I have had free, indoor, concrete floor storage for the last 5 years and now it's gone. I have shrink wrapped once before and will never do it again. I was thinking of getting one of those portable carports and leaving it in the driveway for the winter. Anyone use one before?

I have had free, indoor, concrete floor storage for the last 5 years and now it's gone. I have shrink wrapped once before and will never do it again. I was thinking of getting one of those portable carports and leaving it in the driveway for the winter. Anyone use one before?

why did you not like the shrink wrap. did something happen to your boat.

Thats because you didn't store it dry or install a dehumidfier or a fan or Dry-z-air in it.

The portable carports are great if you don't have any high winds, heavy rain or heavy snow. But the boat can still mold & mildew if you don't store it properly.

Malibu sleeps in the garage, but when I finished my basement, before the 'Bu, the I/O went outside behind the garage while all the junk from my basement when in the garage.

To keep it dry and mildew free, I ran a 4" yard drain attached to a small 4-5" 110v fan on a timer set up inside a 5 gallon bucket (to keep it dry) into the boat under the cover and another 4" venting out the other end, with fine wire screen keep out critters, then put a 1x2, truss supported structure to hold up the boat cover, and covered that with black visqueen strapped down with a bunch of ropes. Ran the fan about 6 hours per day (maybe overkill, ran it in the late afternoon to vent out anything moisture from a day of sun.

That system kept the boat totally dry, mildew free, and could support the occasional 6-8" of snow before I brushed it off. Worked awesome, just don't plan on doing it more than once a year. And if you forgot something in the boat, a bit of a hassle to get it out!

I don't shrink wrap any more but did for a number of boats for many years. If it is done correctly you should not have mildew. I even kept a large sail boat in a water birth shrink wrapped from Oct. to April with no mildew what so ever. You need air flow venting and no water leaks. It is not hard to do. I would have no problem doing it again. Dontknow.gif

mine sits under a car port cover all year it likes it there works out well

Plus1.gif it's a steel structure on a concrete pad versus a temporary one but same difference, I just use the standard boat cover, a couple dri z air thingy's and a little west marine ambient air fans (sorry, at a loss for words this morning) Never been a problem and easily allows for spur of the moment winter ski sessions. Shrink wrap would pretty much take that out of the question (but maybe that's not an option in Michigan)

This will be my sixth winter with my car tent. Am very happy with the way it had worked out. Boat is in there all year round. One nice benefit I have it that the tent is basicly shaded all summer by nearby trees. I only loosely cover the boat so air gets in there. During the winter layup I use the shipping cover that my dealer let me have (you have to ask for it), again loosely covering the boat.

My buddies neighbor uses one for his boat. He winterizes, covers with a sunbrella cover and lowers the top down close to the boat. Yes he leaves the sides exposed, more like two feet is exposed at the ground, but he has faired pretty well over the last five seasons. Its probably worth it for one winter since you can winterize and hold out until the last minute on the tent if you do not find storage.

I would check that there isn’t anything in your city/county codes that prohibits such storage. Most CCR’s are weak in this regard but worth checking anyway. In my community is it illegal to park it out front permanently.