Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing Set Up

-BS-

I've been surfing behind my 07 Vride for a couple years now and have got the wave dialed (we can surf 10 feet back no problem) but I just ordered the 09 21'Vride (v25 hull/08VLX hull) and am interested how to best dial in the wave. I imagine (as always) lots of weight. On the 07 I fill all the stock ballast (2rear, 1mid), one 250 in rear port side hatch, one 250 in battery compartment, one 500+ in bow on port side, and (depending on how many people) one 500 lb on port floor. No wedge. Do you guys use the wedge? Whats YOUR riding ability and ballast set up? I'm (preferably) looking for advice from people who are more advanced riders who are picky about the wave (like myself), but I suppose I probably could learn a bit from anyone, huh?! Let's hear it!

We did a lot of wakesurfing this summer with the 2004 Wakesetter LSV we picked up back in April. We were able to experiment a lot with different setups when it comes to weight. Although we found a few different ways to get a solid wake, we stuck with one for the later half of the season, it was something like this:

- Depending on the side surfing on, we'd fill only that corresponding rear hard tank (surf left side, fill only left rear; right side, only right rear tank)

- We always filled the midship built in tank, regardless of the side surfing on

- In the corresponding rear locker, we filled an 800lb. sac as much as it could without pushing on the engine cover (probably about 500-600lbs)

- We'd fill another 800lb. bag completely on the seat, corresponding to the side surfing on (right side --> right side seat behind driver, etc.)

- Then we had 8 cube sacs that would hold up to 85-90lbs. each, which we would move around to adjust the wake. Usually with these we ran 6 or so of them in the bow on the seats and middle of the bow, and two usually in the rear on the floor.

- We also surfed with the wedge down always

This produced a very solid wake, both tall and long so you could drop back and still hold onto the wake. It was even better when we had a bunch of people in the boat as well. I'll post up some pictures later today when I'm home from class.

On the 09 youll need to weight weight the crap out of the nose id reccomend a fly high 1000lb sac and a enzo sack for the port side use your factory center and rear ballast forget the wedge. Thats the setup i run on my vtx and my best friend runs on his 06 vlx. With the exception of both our boats have front ballast. Run around 11.4 youll love it

On the 09 youll need to weight weight the crap out of the nose id reccomend a fly high 1000lb sac and a enzo sack for the port side use your factory center and rear ballast forget the wedge. Thats the setup i run on my vtx and my best friend runs on his 06 vlx. With the exception of both our boats have front ballast. Run around 11.4 youll love it

Cool, sounds like I just need a little bigger bag up front......we ride @ 11 now........thanks for the advice

Here's some pictures that I chose that I think best represent the wake we've been getting:

These first two give you an idea of our weight setup and the location of people if we have them riding. Notice the bags in the bow in the first picture, and the fat sack on the seat in the back, along with people leaning off the side Rockon.gif

Wakesurf_01.jpg

Wakesurf_02.jpg

The next two show the wake for people riding regular (left foot forward) stance. On this side we usually run about 10.5 to 11mph. My brother is riding in these two pictures:

Wakesurf_03.jpg

Wakesurf_04.jpg

These next two pictures show the wake for goofy stance (right foot forward). Usually we run 11 to 11.5mph on this side. Both pictures are of my dad riding, notice you can kind of see the board in the first picture back in the washing machine stuff, he definitely got gobbled up but we managed to get a solid picture of the wake in doing so. We use the same exact weight setup as the other side, we just shift everything over:

Wakesurf_05.jpg

Wakesurf_06.jpg

These last three pictures show the madness we created when we tried duel wakesurfing with our buddy Tony who lives on the lake we usually go out on. He has an X2 that he always goes out surfing on. So one day we tried filling his on the left side and ours on the right, running about 15 feet or so apart at the same speed, and see what we could create. It was hilarious watching all the other boats on the lake pull over and just watch as we did lengths up and down the lake, creating tons of wave-age. Here's what it looked like:

Wakesurf_07.jpg

Wakesurf_08.jpg

Wakesurf_09.jpg

I also have some videos of this too, I could try to upload those too. We attemped to cross to the other side and stuff, but it was basically a giant washing machine where the two wakes collided. Either way, it was pretty interesting and fun to watch it happen. Also, I'm sure you'd all like to know that our Malibu was laying out a much more solid wake than his X2. His seemed to be steep and tall, but not very long, whereas ours is both tall and long. He surfed a bunch behind our boat and was totally diggin' it.

I have a direct drive (94 Euro F3) Can anyone give me some advice on how to set up ballast so I can get a big enough wake to surf w/o rope? I weigh 215lbs. My 10 year old is getting slack in the rope with no ballast at all, he just needs to learn to stay in the sweet spot so he can go ropeless. I'm jealous! I don't have a wedge. Do you guys think it is possible to set up my boat or do I need to look at getting a V drive?

Thanks,

AF1 Dontknow.gif

I have a direct drive (94 Euro F3) Can anyone give me some advice on how to set up ballast so I can get a big enough wake to surf w/o rope? I weigh 215lbs. My 10 year old is getting slack in the rope with no ballast at all, he just needs to learn to stay in the sweet spot so he can go ropeless. I'm jealous! I don't have a wedge. Do you guys think it is possible to set up my boat or do I need to look at getting a V drive?

Thanks,

AF1 Dontknow.gif

First, you DEFINATELY don't need a wedge to surf.....I have an 07Vride and have never used the wedge, just lots of weight. The wave is dope. I am the same size as you and have no prob riding ten feet back. As far as getting your surf wake dialed.. its all about more weight. I am a firm believer that you dont put all your weight on one side, just offset it 80-20 (or even 70-30) to the side your surfn on. Remember to disperse the weight.. dont put it all in the back.. If you have FatSac's and a pump, just experiment with how much you will need. Your sweet spot will never be what it is on a brand new vdrive, but who cares..I bet you didnt pay 60 or 70k for your boat :)......you'll know when you get it right, especially with a (light as a feather) 10yr old ripper back there.... have fun

, along with people leaning off the side Rockon.gif

[

looks, ummmmmm, illegal.........i never understood this?? Dontknow.gif (not to be critical) but....you have SO MANY fatsacs......why not put more in the back (under where those guys are sitting), keep those guys in the boat, and NOT get pulled over........just a thought........ (i mean, how much weight is ACTUALLY past the edge of your boat.?) ....plus, I HATE it when someone is right in my face 'cheering' when I'm ridn.....I should say: you're not the only one that does this, I see it all the time

looks, ummmmmm, illegal.........i never understood this?? Dontknow.gif (not to be critical) but....you have SO MANY fatsacs......why not put more in the back (under where those guys are sitting), keep those guys in the boat, and NOT get pulled over........just a thought........ (i mean, how much weight is ACTUALLY past the edge of your boat.?) ....plus, I HATE it when someone is right in my face 'cheering' when I'm ridn.....I should say: you're not the only one that does this, I see it all the time

Yes, I'm aware that it is illegal to have people outside of the seating area. However, out on the lake we go to they aren't very critical in what we do. On weekends there's a local cop who is out on the lake patrolling and enforcing the "no wake" rules they have, but he cannot write tickets. Not only that, he sees us out there all the time and knows we abide by all the rules and he's even told us that we're some of the boaters he's seen out on that lake. Occasionally the county Sheriff comes out on the lake as well. Honestly, we've been out there surfing many times while the Sheriff patrolled the lake, and they've only stopped us once to make sure we had the proper amount of lifejackets. They've NEVER said anything to us about the weight we added or about surfing. We have even driven right past them while surfing and had a person sitting on the deck and they didn't stop us at all. They're more critical on maintaining the counter-clockwise rotation you're supposed to abide by because the lake is relatively small (so they end up pulling tubers over a lot because a majority of them are knuckleheads who just drive wherever the hell they want to).

Although you may find it annoying when people are "in your face" while you ride, not all of us do. To be honest I rarely look at people in the boat, I'm watching the boat itself and the wake most, so it doesn't bother me when people are "looking" at me.

We don't run anymore weight in the back, especially when there's multiple people in the boat, because the wake takes a better shape with some weight in the bow too. It's not only tall, but long enough so you can fall 15 to 20 feet behind the boat and still hold onto the wake. We've experimented a ton and that's the best setup we've found that creates the most solid wake.

Yes, I'm aware that it is illegal to have people outside of the seating area. However, out on the lake we go to they aren't very critical in what we do. On weekends there's a local cop who is out on the lake patrolling and enforcing the "no wake" rules they have, but he cannot write tickets. Not only that, he sees us out there all the time and knows we abide by all the rules and he's even told us that we're some of the boaters he's seen out on that lake. Occasionally the county Sheriff comes out on the lake as well. Honestly, we've been out there surfing many times while the Sheriff patrolled the lake, and they've only stopped us once to make sure we had the proper amount of lifejackets. They've NEVER said anything to us about the weight we added or about surfing. We have even driven right past them while surfing and had a person sitting on the deck and they didn't stop us at all. They're more critical on maintaining the counter-clockwise rotation you're supposed to abide by because the lake is relatively small (so they end up pulling tubers over a lot because a majority of them are knuckleheads who just drive wherever the hell they want to).

Although you may find it annoying when people are "in your face" while you ride, not all of us do. To be honest I rarely look at people in the boat, I'm watching the boat itself and the wake most, so it doesn't bother me when people are "looking" at me.

We don't run anymore weight in the back, especially when there's multiple people in the boat, because the wake takes a better shape with some weight in the bow too. It's not only tall, but long enough so you can fall 15 to 20 feet behind the boat and still hold onto the wake. We've experimented a ton and that's the best setup we've found that creates the most solid wake.

right on, sounds good....I guess it's cool to have law enforcement thats flexible based on who you are.........I wasnt questioning how you set it up, or your wake.......I'm sure you have it dialed.

Thanks,

AF1 Dontknow.gif

Are you sure you want to know?

Time to buy a Vdrive. :)