Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Advice please

BlondieBlue

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• BlondieBlue

• bigD

• MalibuTime

• lxirod

Boats priced to sell will sell. This is a buyers market, so if you find a dozen boats similar to yours you will need clearly differentiate your boat in order to get a sale. Typically, an agressively priced boat will sell in a couple of days. With a 50k boat, agressive is going to mean 7-10k less than the comparables, otherwise its a waiting game, and its fall, so buyers know it's deal time and are watching for the deal too good to pass up. I have seen maybe 3-4 killer deals on VLXs like this and they typically dissapear in a few days.

With a 50k boat, agressive is going to mean 7-10k less than the comparables, otherwise its a waiting game, and its fall, so buyers know it's deal time and are watching for the deal too good to pass up.

Wow 7 - 10k less than everyone else would hurt a little bit.

Try to sell it on consignment at a dealer.

Obviously neither new nor used boats are doing well right now. I would keep my boat until spring where at least the buying mood is better. Hopefully by that time the election stuff is over and the economy might be in better shape. Bad economy + elections + the Fall. Not a good combo to sell a boat.

But if you must sell, you must set your boat apart from others and price is certainly one way to do it. When I look a new/used boat I like a ton of quality pictures, great description of all options, warranty, like new condition, low hours, history, phone number and honesty. I can't tell you how many times people have told me that their boat was maintained to schedule, but when I actually checked the records, it was not. Or was advertised "like new" and had stains on the seats, etc. Accuracy and honesty go a long way in my book, especially if I have to drive several hours to see it. I also think certain colors appeal to a wider audience.

I'm not a sales person, but these are some things I like to see. Good luck to everyone trying to sell a boat!

your about 4-5K too high, you will not get much back on your stereo, times are tough. For that boat $43 may be more realistic asking price considering the current state of used boat sales. Good Luck and have some patience.

Do not take this personaly, but when I see a boat for sale that has $8,500 stereo as one of the first things listed, I think of a 18 year old who bagged the boat and only cared about blasting the stereo & not properly maintaining it. now this may not be you, but I would take off the stickers, sell off most of the stereo, and like some others said remove the blue flame. All that stuff just paints a bad picture, like it or not.......however just my opinion and I am sure there is a market for that, it is just not as big.......good luck.

Do not take this personaly, but when I see a boat for sale that has $8,500 stereo as one of the first things listed, I think of a 18 year old who bagged the boat and only cared about blasting the stereo & not properly maintaining it. now this may not be you, but I would take off the stickers, sell off most of the stereo, and like some others said remove the blue flame. All that stuff just paints a bad picture, like it or not.......however just my opinion and I am sure there is a market for that, it is just not as big.......good luck.

I agree, Not to beat it to death but if you list that you have 8500 worth of stereo and only list 2500 worth of equipment, it seems like you are trying to get over on someone. The painted cans look nice but are not worth much in resale. The stickers on the front of the boat will only hurt it for sure.

With a 50k boat, agressive is going to mean 7-10k less than the comparables, otherwise its a waiting game, and its fall, so buyers know it's deal time and are watching for the deal too good to pass up.

what is that? like a trade in?

what is that? like a trade in?

No, it is when you take it to a dealer and they sell it for you and they take a cut. Usually a percentage of the sale price once it is sold. But at least you do not have to deal with it.

I would say that if you want to sell it then you need to cut price to around $40k.

I saw an '07 on this site for $49,900 that hasn't sold yet either. You may have more options but buyers unfortunately aren't all that interested in paying extra for many options but may buy your boat before someone else's if it is the same price but you have more options. The '07 was on Ebay for $45k and no bids. I'll bet a person could offer him $44k and get that boat. I know that you probably see a lot of other ads for 2004's at $45k - $50k but many people who have their boats "for sale" this time of the year really don't care if they sell it or not so they ask an unrealistic price but feel if they sell it great and if not no big deal.

It is a painful reality for all of us who have relatively new boats. Cry.gif

Edited by Matt_Alger

Right, I didn't say it wouldn't hurt. The OP said - " I really need to get rid of it ... I need this sold asap so any ADVIVE would help please"

That is how you can sell things right away and not hassle it, as is. Blue flames, LPA stickers and all. You have to decide whice is more important. If they have, say a $500 boat payment, which isn't too much of a stretch, then 6-8 months later theres 3-4k right there plus insurance, storage etc. that you can lop off, factor in how much lower the price will be because its another model year older, and the economy is another 6-8 months crappier.

People are so emotionally attached sometimes it clouds their business decisions. The other problem is alot of people somehow correlate what they owe to how much something is worth, which there's no mention of that here but often a reason people ask too much for what they are selling. Someone else chimed in and said right away 4-5k too high, plus the additional 3-5k is the sell it now incentive.

Anyhow, that is my ADVIVE, and it's FREE. So the OP can do with it what she will.

Right, I didn't say it wouldn't hurt. The OP said - " I really need to get rid of it ... I need this sold asap so any ADVIVE would help please"

That is how you can sell things right away and not hassle it, as is. Blue flames, LPA stickers and all. You have to decide whice is more important. If they have, say a $500 boat payment, which isn't too much of a stretch, then 6-8 months later theres 3-4k right there plus insurance, storage etc. that you can lop off, factor in how much lower the price will be because its another model year older, and the economy is another 6-8 months crappier.

People are so emotionally attached sometimes it clouds their business decisions. The other problem is alot of people somehow correlate what they owe to how much something is worth, which there's no mention of that here but often a reason people ask too much for what they are selling. Someone else chimed in and said right away 4-5k too high, plus the additional 3-5k is the sell it now incentive.

Anyhow, that is my ADVIVE, and it's FREE. So the OP can do with it what she will.

thanks for the advice. so what do people do if they have to sell their boat for less than what they owe. how the hell do i get out of this?

If you sell the boat for less than you owe, making payments after it's gone really sucks! If that's the case then why sell it at all? Keep in mind the cost of the advertisement adds up over the months, BT is what 49 bucks a month?

If your not going to be able to sell it for what you owe, you probably shouldn't have put the new stereo on it. Just my opinion. Can you tap some savings? What is your monthly Payment? You gotta start thinking about these things. If you have to put 2-3k of your own money how long will it take you to make that back up? It doesn't sound like a good situation to me. Best of Luck.

If your not going to be able to sell it for what you owe, you probably shouldn't have put the new stereo on it. Just my opinion. Can you tap some savings? What is your monthly Payment? You gotta start thinking about these things. If you have to put 2-3k of your own money how long will it take you to make that back up? It doesn't sound like a good situation to me. Best of Luck.

i know i reget getting the stereo. I thought i was goona have it till next summer but plans change so quick with college and jobs ya know. I dont have saving right now for it. my payment is 576 a month. i can totally afford it no problem but i am moving very soon and cant take it with me. i can pay of 3 thousand if a couple months after i sell it. sooo 3 thousand isnt that bad of a hit is it? live and learn. cuz if i keep it ill be paying another 3500 till nexxt year plus taxes plus insurance. and id be happy just to sell it becuase im starting to panic because im moving ya know.

thanks for the advice. so what do people do if they have to sell their boat for less than what they owe. how the hell do i get out of this?

A lot of people with home loans would like to know that exact thing. Most only have two choices in this situation, Try to Keep it until times are better or walk. either way it suxs I guess.

A lot of people with home loans would like to know that exact thing. Most only have two choices in this situation, Try to Keep it until times are better or walk. either way it suxs I guess.

yeah alot of people are saying just hold on to it and stuff till it gets better but the thing is it took the ecomony 2 years to get this bad and its not like come janurary everyone is in a new mortgage and hunky dorie okay ya know. it will be another couple years. but if i wait till spring to sell next year it will be another year older.

You can't sell the boat without first paying off your creditor as they technically are the legal owners of the boat. You won't be able to transfer the title unless the new buyer assumes the current loan.

UR welcome. I also figure if you don't ask... Inquire with your creditor about paying principle only, or cutting your interest rate in 1/2 for 6 or 12 months, to give you some wiggle room. Going interest only will only get you farther under. With the number of defaults going on you may have more leverage than you think. BUT, read the fine print in your loan first, just so you know what their call options are (eg, they call in the loan altogether).

If you sell something for less than you owe, you will have to cut a check to the creditor at time of sale, otherwise they will not release the title and you will still owe. If you don't have that, you might have to borrow it, but at least your out, and that money is money you would have spent making boat payments for the winter.

Also, there is a good bet that there is a loan tied to both the trailer and the boat, so don't overlook that detail if they have both titles.

Lastly, do not, under any circumstance let a buyer take the boat away until the note is satisfied and the title is released, regardless of down payments, bill of sale, etc.

edit - Thanks NCB-changed more to less

Edited by TheBlackPearl
...If you sell something for more than you owe, you will have to cut a check to the creditor at time of sale,...

Just for clarity...I believe you meant "If you sell something for less than you owe..."

Small detail... :)

When I picked up my pre-owned boat, the owner and I went to his bank, he put my check toward the loan and still had to write a 5K check. I was like Shocking.gif to see he had to pay off so much in the end.

Good luck in selling the Bu, I'm sure putting up on Rods, onlyinboard and boat trader with help.