Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Malibu Response FXi - The New Thread

SmoothWaterMan

Bob,

The FXi with platform off is exactly 21' from back of manual Wedge in the down position, to the front of a boatmate trailer with the swing tongue folded. If you have a Power Wedge you'll need more room for the PW bracket is likely another foot long.

Hope that helps -

Peter

Bob,

The FXi with platform off is exactly 21' from back of manual Wedge in the down position, to the front of a boatmate trailer with the swing tongue folded. If you have a Power Wedge you'll need more room for the PW bracket is likely another foot long.

Hope that helps -

Peter

Thanks, that's about what my Rlxi is. If I got the boat without the wedge at all, I'm guessing that would shave off about 6". Sound right to you?

Apparently I'm beating a dead horse still, but for those that haven't gotten it, the RFXi is the EXACT HULL AND TOP DECK OF A SUNSCAPE 20 LSV! The only difference is the location of the engine. Perhaps it should have been called a Sunscape FXi, so everyone would get it.

Thanks,

Peter

I'm sorry to beat the dead horse, I get it, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around a high free board ski boat. Supra did this several years ago with poor results. I would hate to see Malibu make the same mistake. I seem to be too busy looking back as we are moving foreward. Thanks for the clarification.

PS - Hammerhead is confirmed, all three engines available in a Response as normal.

Thanks for the info here as well.

I'm sorry to beat the dead horse, I get it, I'm just trying to wrap my mind around a high free board ski boat. Supra did this several years ago with poor results. I would hate to see Malibu make the same mistake. I seem to be too busy looking back as we are moving foreward. Thanks for the clarification.

I've been in my buddy's VTX and my other buddy's RLXi a bunch and though the VTX is a shorter boat it feels like the RLXi would fit in the VTX because it is so much wider (the VTX feels bigger than my SLX)! There is also an enormous difference in space up in the bow between the two boats. I would imagine that the RFXi feels a lot bigger than the RLXi - what are your thoughts on that Pete?

The FXi feels bigger in room, mainly due to the width, but the depth of freeboard really gives the perception of size as well. The feeling of bigger is only when you are sitting at rest though. Once you ease the throttle forward you would think that you were driving a little Response again. The boat turns and handles much like a little boat - very nimble.

The other thing that has struck me, being a old school traditional guy until I woke up with a 20 LSV and kids.... was that the FXi was alot more comfortable than a RLXi. I mean that only in that sitting in the nice high driver seat, on the observer seat where my legs bend at the knees and go down to the floor, and access into and out of the seat....well, I guess I'm showing my age.

Peter :)

The other thing that has struck me, being a old school traditional guy until I woke up with a 20 LSV and kids.... was that the FXi was alot more comfortable than a RLXi. I mean that only in that sitting in the nice high driver seat, on the observer seat where my legs bend at the knees and go down to the floor, and access into and out of the seat....well, I guess I'm showing my age.

Peter :)

Geez Peter, gonna go shopping for a Buick tomorrow? :)

Lol....isn't that the brand that Toyota bought since the trademark license expired? Seems odd that I said that, since I was looking at the GM LS7 crate motors to drop into a nice little Response....

That was your fathers Oldsmobile...... Thanks for all the info Peter. It is nice to see everyone interested in a DD now. I know I know I have a V-drive and have converted.. I miss my Echelon. Cry.gif

Lol....isn't that the brand that Toyota bought since the trademark license expired? Seems odd that I said that, since I was looking at the GM LS7 crate motors to drop into a nice little Response....

Drool.gif

• 8 months later...
Great review Peter!

I had this pic from the TN Plant, showing the placement ballast/fuel tanks.

why can't the ballast tanks go in between the stringers on the sides of the motor (under the floor)??? ...if they ran longitudinally, they could be fairly long and narrow and that would keep the storage trunk much deeper. maybe 400lbs. per side + your own sack in the trunk?...must be an issue with under floor sound deadening materials, etc. in this space? Dontknow.gif

just an idea....

If the FXi has many of the same traits as the 20 LSV, does that include gorilla fins?

No, only the v-drives keep the Gorillas. As a direct drive you get the standard 3 tracking fins, for great tracking and less wake disturbance.