Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Malibu Response FXi - The New Thread

SmoothWaterMan

Any chance that this boat could one day replace the Rlxi as Malibu's tournament boat? I've heard this suggested and at first dismissed it. But I wonder if that was what was said back when the Rlxi came out and was maybe considered a "crossover" boat to the Response LX.

I could go to the marketing stuff and read where Malibu thinks this boat goes in their line up but, where does this boat go? It looks like a super high profile RLXi, where does that fit in? The empty hole left from the SSLXi?

When I look at those pics on the trailer at the stern, there is what looks to be twice as much hull under the "malibu" emblem as on my '03RLXi... No measurements just appearence from the pictures only.

Tower Height -

I'm 5'8", with shoes on I'm likely 5'9". Not that you can tell but I am not hitting the tower standing here. (by a few inches)

DSCF3139.jpg

:Doh: Come on Pete... the boat is new, you could at least thake off your shoes.... Tease.gif

I it was designed to be THE slaom machine, I am guessing that it would not have ballst options. Can you get factory ballasts installed in an 09 RLXi? Dontknow.gif

Did you try footing behind it Pete? Was 41MPH at WOT with the 320LCR? If so, it has a lot more drag/weight then the RLX...

When I look at those pics on the trailer at the stern, there is what looks to be twice as much hull under the "malibu" emblem as on my '03RLXi... No measurements just appearence from the pictures only.

Might need to think about adding that mid-transom grab rail from the new VLX to this boat. Looks like that grab rail is waaaayyyyy up above the platform, which looks to sit at least a couple/3 inches further out of the water at rest than my RLXi.

And what's up with the boat listing to starboard, anyway? I would have thought that a bigger/wider boat would not be as sensitive to only having a driver and no passengers. Dontknow.gif

It is a nice enough looking boat, but it's hard to imagine it ever being considered in the same breath as the classic SLXi. While this boat may be every bit as good, or dare I say it, better than the SLXi in terms of wake or handling, seems to me that one of the staples of that SLXi was the absolutely massive trunk it had. This trunk doesn't look too much different than my RLXi.

DSCF3131.jpg
Edited by SunriseH2OSkier
And what's up with the boat listing to starboard, anyway? I would have thought that a bigger/wider boat would not be as sensitive to only having a driver and no passengers. Dontknow.gif

It's not listing to starboard, it is because Pete is doing a sharp right turn. Amazing how small the wake is huh? Whistling.gif

The trunk is smaller than the response LXI, there is a ballast tank below the trunk making it quite shallow. It looks like there may be some more storage space under the rear seat though.

It's listing to starboard since it has an obese driver. (American no doubt)

Shoes for it was too cold to go without.

Top end is showing 46-47, I didn't GPS it.

For those that commented on the size, don't forget that it IS a 20 LSV, just with a motor box in the middle. Gut feeling is the V-Drive would be faster due to less hull drag, but haven't tested that.

Spray is closer than I thought for the boom, but it doesn't really hinder anything at barefoot speeds.

No one took pics longline but the curl was almost too flat and back starts were decent.

Peter :)

DSCF3169.jpg

DSCF3166.jpg

Passenger Side Spray from Bow. My 200 lbs up front doesn't help, but still okay for photos when using boom.

DSCF3156.jpg

I'm gonna be sick..you mucked up all that GLASS!!!!!!! ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!! Mad.gif

What is the main differences between it and the RLXi? I know you say it is a 20LSV with a motor in the middle...is that basically just a slightly bigger boat?

Also, did you get a chance to foot behind the boat? How is the curl for footing. I know my Cousin's '08 RLXi curl is TERRIBLE, even with an SSP!

The wake is still slalom orientated. Curl is not really much curl, and a bit soft like the wake.

The 20 LSV / RFXi / WVTX are 20' long, wider and much deeper freeboard than a RLXi. Barefooter's will still want a Sportster or Response, but the FXi is suitable for all-around use if desired. It has a better slalom wake than the 20 LSV if you want a deeper boat than the RLXi, and it has an optional hard tank for wakeboarding in the rear.

The wake is still slalom orientated. Curl is not really much curl, and a bit soft like the wake.

The 20 LSV / RFXi / WVTX are 20' long, wider and much deeper freeboard than a RLXi. Barefooter's will still want a Sportster or Response, but the FXi is suitable for all-around use if desired. It has a better slalom wake than the 20 LSV if you want a deeper boat than the RLXi, and it has an optional hard tank for wakeboarding in the rear.

How's the slalom wake compared to the SLXI?

How's the slalom wake compared to the SLXI?

On par with the 99-04 wake, perhaps better. Much better than the 05- SLXi.

Peter

OK- that's the explaination I was looking for. Thanks Peter. This is the boat for someone who wants to occasionally go slalom in the morning when it's flat yet stay at the lake all day and not have to be so diligent about where the nose of the boat is in relation to the other boats and their wakes.

Might need to think about adding that mid-transom grab rail from the new VLX to this boat. Looks like that grab rail is waaaayyyyy up above the platform, which looks to sit at least a couple/3 inches further out of the water at rest than my RLXi.

Personally I like were the grab handle is, the new lower position isn’t very useful as I yet to see anyone put on a ski/wakeboard w/o needing to stand up. The lower grab bar is out of reach at that point. The new seating spot I could also do w/o I see and understand the functionality of it but again I don't sit to put my gear on.

OK- that's the explaination I was looking for. Thanks Peter. This is the boat for someone who wants to occasionally go slalom in the morning when it's flat yet stay at the lake all day and not have to be so diligent about where the nose of the boat is in relation to the other boats and their wakes.

Yes, that's really it. Run the course in the morning behind an approved tournament boat (FXi), then spend the rest of the day riding, boarding, etc until a few barefoot sets in the glow of the setting sun. For a few bucks more you can be in a 20 LSV, but it's a slightly larger slalom wake at slower speeds and you need to wrap your mind around a vdrive for that. :)

Peter