Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

2009 Malibu Response FXi - The New Thread

SmoothWaterMan

Does this mean:

1. The RLxi still has a bow scoop problem?

2. The 20 LSV really doesn't have tourny ski wakes?

3. The FXi have better surf capabilities?

Does this mean:

1. The RLxi still has a bow scoop problem?

2. The 20 LSV really doesn't have tourny ski wakes?

3. The FXi have better surf capabilities?

Somehow you almost got all backwards -

- The 07-08-09 RLXi hull stopped the "bow scoop issue" that owners complained about.

- The 20 LSV does have a great slalom wake, in my opinion it's great at 32/34/36. There is a difference at 30, which I attribute to the v-drive layout. It is approved for class c tournaments.

- The FXi would not have better surf wake - at least in my limited knowledge of surf wakes I don't believe any small and wide direct drive would ever sink enough to create a surf wake. I think the WVTX with a little added ballast or 4 people would be the minimum.

Peter :)

I believe it's 3000 lbs. (+/-, pretty close to an RLXi's 2900, but I can't find any written notes on the FXi)

Peter

2,800#

Maybe you better start reading some of the propaganda Malibu sends you. . .

Tease2.gif

I am interested in how the RFXI compares to the RLXI in slalom performance. Have you run it through the course? The specs tell me that it should handle the rough water better than the RLXI. So if I could get my RLXI quality slalom runs in the morning and better day play with the famliy on a Saturday at the lake when it is rough, now that would be compelling.

I am interested in how the RFXI compares to the RLXI in slalom performance. Have you run it through the course? The specs tell me that it should handle the rough water better than the RLXI. So if I could get my RLXI quality slalom runs in the morning and better day play with the famliy on a Saturday at the lake when it is rough, now that would be compelling.

This may shed some more light on it for you.

From an undisclosed source - "The FXI was skied back to back with the LXi and the test skier said…”I could not tell a difference between the boats at 28 off and 32 off.” ..... Todd Restacelli also said the rope did not touch at 32 off but would bump the tower at 35 off. Probably not effecting the skier too much though."

The tower comment was referring to an Illusion X tower, which is optional on both LXi and FXi models.

Peter

We just skied and drove the heck out of one of these FXi's today. I did not ski it because of a cut on my hand but my wife and my friend's wife also skied it at 28 and 26 MPH in the course and LOVED the wake. Beth's comment was "that boat has no wake". She is accustomed to skiing our club's 08 RLXi, our friend's Response, our other friend's 06 RLXi and our SN. She was able to aggressively cut through the wakes without fear of an OTF at these slow speeds. Another tester in the boat who ran 30/15 said the wake was OK but no 99-04 SLXi. Seemed to drive and handle nicely. The rear locker is VERY small and shallow for a Bu locker but the rear seat hinges forward for acres of storage there. The negative there is that there will be a lot of feet climbing on that seat over the life of the boat.

The boat is HUGE compared to the RLXi, it seems. Very high freeboard and tall transom. I don't see it replacing the RLXi any time soon. The wake looked great to me from the boat but it's a very wide wake. Wish I would have been able to ski it. Nice fit and finish throughout and Zero Off sure is neat to play with.

- The 07-08-09 RLXi hull stopped the "bow scoop issue" that owners complained about.

Bow scoop issue? Does that mean an issue when water comes over the bow if you hit a big roller at very slow or idle speeds?

If so, then I can attest that it is not "fixed" in my Cousin's '08 RLXi. We had two little kids(50lb each) and one adult(130lb) up there, he hit a stern roller and they all got a bath. It's happened on more than one occasion and now he compensates by speeding up a little to bring the bow up.

Edited by areamike
now he compensates by speeding up a little to bring the bow up.

Umm, yuh, that's what you're supposed to do. :) You can take water over nearly any OB, but the 2nd generation RLXi hull/deck makes it less of an issue than the 1st.

I took water into an open bow once--traveling from the Lafayette River into the Elizabeth River in Norfolk. Of course, it was a tug boat wake. . . Shocking.gif

Edited by VinRLX

Bow scoop issue? Does that mean an issue when water comes over the bow if you hit a big roller at very slow or idle speeds?

If so, then I can attest that it is not "fixed" in my Cousin's '08 RLXi. We had two little kids(50lb each) and one adult(130lb) up there, he hit a stern roller and they all got a bath. It's happened on more than one occasion and now he compensates by speeding up a little to bring the bow up.

This story enforces my question. Why else would Malibu design/build a deeper free board Response LXi, unless the "newer" version still had a problem. By the way, I am not a noob. My '05 RLxi is my third DD, and is by far the wettest in the bow seats.

Peter, do you know if Malibu will still put a Hammerhead in the Response closed bow. My dealer says no.

This story enforces my question. Why else would Malibu design/build a deeper free board Response LXi, unless the "newer" version still had a problem. By the way, I am not a noob. My '05 RLxi is my third DD, and is by far the wettest in the bow seats.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I can take a Wakesetter and scoop up a bunch of water if I'm not paying attention, or go dry all day long in my RLXi by paying attention- in the big water sharing space with 40' Donzi's and Scarab's. Closed bow doesnt' resolve this issue all by itself either, it just gets the passengers in the back wet.

Peter, do you know if Malibu will still put a Hammerhead in the Response closed bow. My dealer says no.

First off, the Response FXi has no relation, design or other to the Response LXi. It was NOT designed to correct any "problems".

On that note, and don't take this personally, but the 07 and newer RLXi far surpasses the 03-06 RLXi in dipping the bow. Yes, your 2005 is easier to dip than any Response, Response LX, or 07-up RLXi. If you still dip the bow in a 07-up RLXi then you need to pay more attention, as mentioned, you can dip the bow on just about anything if you want to.

Apparently I'm beating a dead horse still, but for those that haven't gotten it, the RFXi is the EXACT HULL AND TOP DECK OF A SUNSCAPE 20 LSV! The only difference is the location of the engine. Perhaps it should have been called a Sunscape FXi, so everyone would get it.

Okay, I'm done ranting. Yes, the HH is still available in a Response as far as I know, was last year, I believe it is still this year. It's a sweet boat.

Thanks,

Peter

Apparently I'm beating a dead horse still, but for those that haven't gotten it, the RFXi is the EXACT HULL AND TOP DECK OF A SUNSCAPE 20 LSV! The only difference is the location of the engine. Perhaps it should have been called a Sunscape FXi, so everyone would get it.

Uh, I'm not following...

j/k, j/k. :)

Seriously though one question I do have - given the hull from the Sunscape 20LSV, does the FXi still have an HDS?

No Jerry, sure doesn't.

All the v-drives don't have liners, and therefore we don't have a HDS which is incorporated into the liner on the other direct drives.

Peter

Uh, I'm not following...

Jerry, what Peter is saying is that his wife will probably beat him because he bought a dead horse. He bought the horse because her name was Response (which Peter desperately wanted) and because Response had the same markings of his childhood pony, named Sunscape. His wife is so ticked off over the whole thing that now Peter has to buy her a boat--and she will only accept a vdrive. So what he's going to do is buy her an FXi and explain, in no uncertain terms, that it IS in fact a vdrive, they just put the motor in the middle.

Get it now?

Nevermind, I think I see the answer in your posted pics:

DSCF2942.jpg

Doesn't have the nice smooth finish of my LXi. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing - the liner is a nice detail, however the elimination of the HDS is a major improvement. And cheaper to build, no doubt. I'm sure that will be reflected in the price of the boat, yes?

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier

Uh, I'm not following...

Jerry, what Peter is saying is that his wife will probably beat him because he bought a dead horse. He bought the horse because her name was Response (which Peter desperately wanted) and because Response had the same markings of his childhood pony, named Sunscape. His wife is so ticked off over the whole thing that now Peter has to buy her a boat--and she will only accept a vdrive. So what he's going to do is buy her an FXi and explain, in no uncertain terms, that it IS in fact a vdrive, they just put the motor in the middle.

Get it now?

ROFL.gif

Uh, I'm not following...

Get it now?

ROFLMAO!!!!!

Darn it Jack, you've outdone yourself. That was FUNNY!

PS - Hammerhead is confirmed, all three engines available in a Response as normal.

Jerry, now if you got a new boat you'd know, right? ;)

On an LCR they connect to the front of the intake, just part of the cooling system. On the Monsoon/HH they feed water to the ETX CAT manifolds.

And I agree, the Liner is a nice finishing detail, particularly with the dripless packing, you can keep that bilge looking really nice. Now about that mirrored finish....

Edited by SmoothWaterMan

Peter,

Thanks for the reviews and pics, they are great.

I was wondering if you know the overall length of the Fxi on the trailer (tandem axle). Is it like the Rlxi with the trailer extending about 6" past the bow with the swing away tongue? My Rlxi is about 7" short of fitting in the garage straight and i was wondering if the Fxi would just fit. It may be worth buying a new boat just to get my other car in the garage. :)

Thanks,

Bob