Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Transport Dilemma

All interesting ideas for sure. I like the idea of a small floating raft that I just pull out. My original thought was to use the kids tube and just make a flat top for it so I didn't get any gas on the tube...it should hold 4 to 5 cans without being too unstable. Afterall, I'm not going to be climbing Everest with it....just floating out to the boat on a calm day. I'll be sure to update on the decision, though with winter about to hit, it may be in 5 months or so. LOL.

sorry it took so long.

the folks that had the foam got it from another guy.

by the time i chased everyone around it took a little while.

the source of the foam doesn't know anything about it.

seems it came from a marina near jackson or irish hills in michigan.

he suspects that it is packing material from a plant near there that someone figured out how to make a buck with.

he says it is just what you need so keep after it and i'm sure you can find something similar.

good luck.

Pick up a couple of sheets of rigid foam foundation insulation (like 2'x8'x3" or 4") and glue a sheet of 1/2" plywood on it. Add u-bolts so you can tie down the cans (and leave them there when you go out in the boat) add a couple 2x4s to the bottom so you can skid it up onto the beach, maybe a couple of rails on the top so you can toss other stuff on there (cooler, skis etc) and tow it out there on the end of a rope and tie it off or have a concrete bucket anchor to tie it off to while you're boating.

I think if you don't cover the foam spilled gas might eat it away very quickly.

You could try these too, but maybe a bit of overkill for what you need.

http://www.marinefoam.com/flotation-foam.h...link_type=image

• 3 weeks later...

An inexpensive idea is to use pallets. You could use wooden but think plastic or fiberglass pallets would be great. I know someone in the shipping business and can get them for free. If you find the right one you could turn it upside down and it would actually cradle the gas cans. Some places make bins out of plastic or fiberglass that would all hold gas cans.

Here's an example of plastic pallets and I have some and they really really float!

Plastic Pallets