Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fuel Transport Dilemma

Hi Folks,

My boat sits on a Floe hoist about 90 yards off the beach where my house is. I have to have it out this far due to sand bars and shallow situation on this beach as the prevailing winds hit it dead on. I don't have a dock going out that far so my dilemma is, getting fuel to my boat. There is no marina on the lake and no pier by which I can pull up to and use a gas caddy or such. I'm really stuck with 5 gallon gas cans and a funnel. The biggest problem is getting all the cans out to the boat. I considered using a tube with a plywood platform, loading it up and just floating them out...but I was wondring if anyone is in a similar situation and what they came up with. I am going to have to come up with something at the boat to keep from spilling fuel in the lake, but as yet havn't seen anything that sings to me. Any thoughts now that many of our boats are put away for the winter?

Thanks,

Mot

wow, so you have to swim to your boat? How far is the end of the dock to the boat? Maybe you could get a 30 gal caddie and run a hose from the dock to the boat and use a 12v pump to transfer the fuel.

do a search, a while back there was a thread about getting fuel to the boat.

Welcome.gif

Edited by txwakejunkie

LOL...no, I don't have to swim to the boat. We walk out...the depth varies from about 8 inches to 2 feet. Most of the summer I might be able to get the boat half way to the beach without running aground, but for the most part I'd rather just leave it at the hoist. I don't have any dock at all there...where the boat sits is where the depth is finally 30 inches and then gets progressively deeper to 30 feet...it's just shallow right off the beach. We never considered a dock for a couple of reasons, 1) you're walking along your dock that is extending out through 20" of water. And 2, it's the length of a football field. We have a neighbor about a half mile down that has one and it looks like something from a childrens book, crooked multiple different levels and angles... I just don't see how to use the fuel caddy. I did read a couple of excellent threads that introduced me to the fuel caddy and the hunsacker quick fill cans etc. but I'm still in the dilemma of getting the fuel on the 100 yard walk through the water.

This isn't my boat and the power boats are alot farther out, but this is a picture of where I'm at and the situation:

64591594.l2bayrk5.IMG_3545bestpbase.jpg

It may be a little inconvenient, but can you just haul your boat out on the trailer and take it to the local gas station? Other than that, I would go with the gas caddy on a jon boat idea.

I can't think of a good solution.

But we stopped using funnels long ago and use a siphon hose. No spills at all. I got mine local, but I think overtons has them.

In the fall, after the dock comes out, I take my gas out in a canoe. Our dock is about 50 yards long.

Is dredging out a channel an option? That would bring the boat in closer.

Oh, I know, get a pontoon. hahaha

Hauling the boat to the gas station won't work...good thought though. The trailer gets tucked away in the shed and the nearest launch is 15 miles of lake away, about 25 miles of driving, and then I have to come back to the gas station then back to the launch...it would be a 2 hour affair to fill the boat.

A jon boat, huh? What the hell is a Jon boat. Google here I come!

Dredging a channel? Yikes!

Like the others I can't come up with a good idea ... except get a rail system where you drive your boat on bunks/caddy and then wench your boat up on land. Ain't going to be cheap, but has other advantages ... and my guess is you will need a permit for this. Let us know what you come up with.

I'm in north central Alberta. The lake freezes HARD! Also, part of the reason we're so shallow at this point is the ice sheet, when the spring melt comes along, gets blown in the direction of my house. This sheet bottoms out and brings up the sand even closer. We lose our boat house doors every 5 years or so. Anything that is left in the lake become free form metal art so it all has to be pulled out. Interesting solution though.

Edited by Mot
Didn't Tom Rutat ... from Canda ... have a rail system, anyone remember?

Yup. He had one custom built. But not with a football field length of track. . .

Sounds like your least expensive, most realistic option is to take the fuel to the boat. You may want to consider how you can get it out there--with another, shallow draft boat, or by walking/floating. Then, how are you going to handle the fuel container and/or where is it going to sit while you fuel up. Is it better to go with one gas caddy (very heavy when full) or several 5 g. containers. Will a plastic gas can, full of gas (and a little air) mostly float???

If you use the 5 g. cans, depending on your set up, you may be able to put them on a towel on the trunk of your boat and siphon hose the fuel into the boat.

Whatever you do, figure something good and don't spill any. . .

The siphon we use is just some clear plastic hose about the size of the gerry can opening. We make sure the seal between the gas can and hose is airtight and squeeze...as long as gravity is pulling the fuel down into the tank the 6 gal gas can will empty in about 30 seconds.

I would suggest you do this and have your spotters and crew help you carry gas cans out there. This would only run you the cost of the siphon hose.

LOL...no, I don't have to swim to the boat. We walk out...the depth varies from about 8 inches to 2 feet. Most of the summer I might be able to get the boat half way to the beach without running aground, but for the most part I'd rather just leave it at the hoist. I don't have any dock at all there...where the boat sits is where the depth is finally 30 inches and then gets progressively deeper to 30 feet...it's just shallow right off the beach. We never considered a dock for a couple of reasons, 1) you're walking along your dock that is extending out through 20" of water. And 2, it's the length of a football field. We have a neighbor about a half mile down that has one and it looks like something from a childrens book, crooked multiple different levels and angles... I just don't see how to use the fuel caddy. I did read a couple of excellent threads that introduced me to the fuel caddy and the hunsacker quick fill cans etc. but I'm still in the dilemma of getting the fuel on the 100 yard walk through the water.

This isn't my boat and the power boats are alot farther out, but this is a picture of where I'm at and the situation:

Phew! I was wondering what type of Pylon extension you had there... Dontknow.gif

Seriously, I have a long way to go with my gas cans but it is going down stairs... A way that I find helps is carrying 2 at a time for balance and wearing about 3 layers of PFDs (the old thick nylon type, not the new thin neoprene type). Let me explain...

I accidentally discoverd this when I wanted to bring the PFDs to the dock at the same time as my gas cans. The PFDs take a lot of space between my body and my arms, therefore I do not have to pull the cans away from my body so they don't touch my legs. I would say that most of the energy you use in your arms to carry gas cans is used to keep them away from your legs so you can walk. With the PFDs, all the energy used is in your legs.

Try it and tell me what you think?

Edited by 1FootDan

I'm not sure how many people are in your same situation, but I see the potential for a small business (portable gas delivery). Not sure what the liability risk would be on your lake, or someone should open a small marina with a fuel station.

If I was in your shoes, I would build a small floating device (remote control :) preferred once launched in the water, something like a remote control boat) or you could push it while walking, that could hold up to or more than 30 gallons (if you have access to launch from shore, or a downhill slope, so imagine a dolly or small hand push trailer that you could tow behind your truck or car when you need to fill it up at the gas station :) , not sure what would happen if you were pulled over by a police "if there is a law of how much gas you can actually trailer behind a vehicle" but the "key" is to make it gravity feed so the bottom of the exit on your gas container is just a little higher than the gas cap on your boat.

If your lake is safe and you don't think it will get stolen, you can leave it where your boat stays until your ready to leave home for the day and take it back to shore load it on your trailer and pull it home :) Pretty much like you would do with your boat if you had to pull it ever time!!

Just a thought, I'm the kind of guy that would love to build something like that during the winter Thumbup.gif just another good reason to bust out the welder :)

I keep my boat on a bouy about 75 to 100 feet from shore. I'm going to build a floating dock next year like a friend did on the river. The floating dock is only about 6x6. The floating dock has a rope anchored to the beach and it connects to the anchor of the bouy. Then the floating dock can be used as a ferry to haul passengers out to the boat. Using the rope to pull the dock in and out.

I'm not sure if you could get it to float in 8 inches of water but it would work in 12 to 18 inches of water for sure.

what about an atv with a fuel caddy up on the racks just have an over size tire on the atv you said at most is only 2 feet of water

Didn't Tom Rutat ... from Canda ... have a rail system, anyone remember?

Yup. He had one custom built. But not with a football field length of track. . .

Sounds like your least expensive, most realistic option is to take the fuel to the boat. You may want to consider how you can get it out there--with another, shallow draft boat, or by walking/floating. Then, how are you going to handle the fuel container and/or where is it going to sit while you fuel up. Is it better to go with one gas caddy (very heavy when full) or several 5 g. containers. Will a plastic gas can, full of gas (and a little air) mostly float???

If you use the 5 g. cans, depending on your set up, you may be able to put them on a towel on the trunk of your boat and siphon hose the fuel into the boat.

Whatever you do, figure something good and don't spill any. . .

I do this exact thing every weekend at my storage garage. Not a big deal especially with dual gas fills and two siphon hoses.

one of the crew had a similar situation.

they used a piece of some kind of foam.

dimensions were about 3' x 4' and about 4 to 6" thick.

toss it in the pond and it floats the ski, fuel and much more while being easy to push around.

wasn't styrofoam; don't think it would stand up to uv long and may be too brittle.

this stuff was slightly flexible.

worked out pretty good.

if you are interested i can find out what kind of foam it is and get back to you.

Thanks for the suggestions and discussions, folks. I do agree that floating the fuel out is the best option. 5g cans do float, but with a 30g tank?? I'll have to walk back and forth a lot. That might just suck the life out of me. I do have a 12 foot aluminum boat, in a boat house, right at the beach beside the path. It has a 9.9 motor on it, BUT, if I build a dolly for it that allows it to roll out of the boathouse easily, I can load 5g jugs in it and float them out to the boat, tie the boat off to the hoist (or even put it on the hoist...maybe) while the ski boat is out on the water.

The pros of that method are the backup boat is ready to go, and it float the fuel out with minimal effort.

The cons are that the prevailing winds tend to wash the sand up against the doors meaning I'd have to dig out the boat house everytime I wanted to fuel the boat. Not a big deal, BUT...I'm trying to make all of this easier and more convenient, right?

The idea of lugging around a 30g fuel caddie really demoralize me, so I'm going to be using a siphon method or the LTPSS method (lift-tilt-pour-spill-swear)

TVANO, I'd love to find out what sort of foam that was, as it sounds just about ideal!

Edited by Mot

Certainly more expensive than a Jon (John) Boat is a big pontoon paddle boat ... but cheaper than the rail system Whistling.gif

Aqua Cycle

The upside to this is you can have fun on it as well as your guest and good exercise. I have one and love it.

This is one of many brands out there.

Perhaps a float something like this www.kadcouse.com ... with 1800lbs of buoyance. They are available in lots of sizes. Not sure how stable it would be with weight but you could easily build a small railing around it or grid to hold the cans in place. Not overly expensive and could probably be aquired locally ... maybe even to give it a try and return if it didn't work.

/Steve

post-256-1222358655_thumb.jpg

Edited by ibelieve

How about a towable 2 or 3 person tube? It can hold more or less 500-600 lbs. If you use a flat one you could put some cans on it.

New to this site, so also hello everybody. Nice site ;-)

A friend of mine owns a marina and had a bunch of big foam blocks laying around. I believe they are used as packing for new pontoons. Anyway, I took a couple blocks and lashed them together to make a small raft. It isn't pretty, but it is very stable and holds a lot of weight.