Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop for 08 VTX

ripley

I want to buy a spare prop for my VTX, and I have a few questions:

1) Should I be concerned about what prop I get for warranty reasons?

2) I like the current prop 13.5" / 16.5" stock with the boat, but would be interested in other ideas.

Season has been great 82 hours this year so far Thumbup.gif

A prop isn’t going to void the warranty. Too large of a prop will take forever to get on plane, and too small of a prop will make the engine hit the rev limiter at WOT. I suspect the OJ 475 if you do a lot of cruising to your ride location or the 468 if not would be a great match. I use either of those and replace the stock prop imho.

2) I like the current prop 13.5" / 16.5" stock with the boat, but would be interested in other ideas.

Good to see you putting her to good work. What kind of LB's do you load in? Do you like to hit WOT? Are you looking for more hole shot? What is your location and elivation?

Like Dude stated, the 475 would be a great prop for your boat.

Good to see you putting her to good work. What kind of LB's do you load in? Do you like to hit WOT? Are you looking for more hole shot? What is your location and elivation?

I usually have 2 to 3 people in the boat of average weight. I live in Michigan so elevation is not much of an issue. I liek the stock prop but want a back up. Hole shot ahs been great. I us the boat as a cross over. We wake board, surf, slalom, and barefoot.

I usually have 2 to 3 people in the boat of average weight. I live in Michigan so elevation is not much of an issue. I liek the stock prop but want a back up. Hole shot ahs been great. I us the boat as a cross over. We wake board, surf, slalom, and barefoot.

If I had to rank what I like to do the most it would be 1) slalom 2) surf and wake board 3) barefoot (it used to be #2 but i am getting older)

The 1235 acme works bitchin i have a 07 top speed is around 46 still we board and surf 90% of the time with lots of additional weight. The only skier that rides behind are boat loves the addition she says it rips her right out now compared to the 537 prop youll love the upgrade in my opinion

The 1235 acme works bitchin i have a 07 top speed is around 46 still we board and surf 90% of the time with lots of additional weight. The only skier that rides behind are boat loves the addition she says it rips her right out now compared to the 537 prop youll love the upgrade in my opinion

It that 46mph measured on a GPS??

I have an 07 VTX and I'm looking at a top speed of about 43, also propped with a 1235. That prop works well for most things, but it does turn higher than desired RPM when I'm on a slalom ski at 34.

I have an 07 VTX and I'm looking at a top speed of about 43, also propped with a 1235. That prop works well for most things, but it does turn higher than desired RPM when I'm on a slalom ski at 34.

You might like the OJ 475, it's not as low as the 1235 therefore turn less RPM's at slalom speeds.

That must be going down hill.

If I had to rank what I like to do the most it would be 1) slalom 2) surf and wake board 3) barefoot (it used to be #2 but i am getting older)

I looked all over ACME spec sheet and could not find your prop. Could you recheck and see if they have a # (IE 1235-381on it?

With you wanting to do slalom and surfing with the same prop is going to be hard. I have two props in mind but with out nowing what prop you have I don't want to post them up.

Yes with GPS i was curious with all the discussion i had my self and a friend 1/4 tank of fuel it was right at the rev limiter 5200rpm. I dont really care what the top speed is on my boat thats not why we own it. my boat cruises well 3200lbs of ballast at 23mph

Edited by CRASH
  • 2 weeks later...

You might like the OJ 475, it's not as low as the 1235 therefore turn less RPM's at slalom speeds.

I thought the same thing. I picked up a OJ 475 last summer, since I needed a spare anyway. I have yet to put it on and try it out.

I thought the same thing. I picked up a OJ 475 last summer, since I needed a spare anyway. I have yet to put it on and try it out.

So, I was out Sat. to mix some stabil into the system and warm up the oil so I could change it and recalled several posts to the effect that you should run WOT for 10-15 minutes periodically to clean out the engine, that the Vortex/Monsoon appreciates this treatment. Running, one person in the boat, 1/3-2/5 tank gas, no skis, board etc, but did have all the other associated junk, ran consistently 47.7-48.3 at WOT with the OJ 475. That is 5230 RPM. One thing I noticed after I got home is my prop is dinged slightly on 3 blades. Enough for a repair job. I didn't see that until that time, so it's very possible that I hit a piece of wood or something. It is possible I dinged in on one of the last few outings, not really sure. It didn't add any vibration.

Of note, I forgot the GPS, so that was per the speedo. Early this summer GPS confirmed speed is right on the money in the mid-thirties.