Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vinyl Wrap

lf133

I had a 1991 Sunsetter with one of the "Classic" colors. I sold it to a friend and he wants to change the color, as I always did. It is a solid boat and has many good years left in it. We were talking about options and thought about vinyl wrapping it. Any thoughts / experiences would be great to hear about. I am not a fan of painting a boat, and gel is too $$$$. I know I have seen it done on fishing and some race boats at some of the shows, but I would assume that they have sponsors that can pay to have this changed every year, or after an event.

I would think that it would give a good finish and protection. If damaged it would be easy to replace a section.

Concerns would be how will it hold up to the elements sun, water, etc... and what is the maint. on this stuff?

Thanks

I don't know how it holds up, but you can sure get some wild, imaginative designs. I've seen some that look like a battleship, or like a WW II plane. Some crazy stuff. You can have some fun with this.

I love the MC Loco wrap. I read online that wraps should last three or more years if it is taken care of and stored indoors. Cost for the MC loco is $3K.

loco.jpg

Edited by CTSunsetter

The Wakeoutlaws' wraps seem to have held up really well. Their design is pretty friggin awesome. You really have to see it up close to appreciate it; the detail is amazing. I wouldn't want it on my boat, mind you, since I'm pretty much a minimalist on graphics, but it's easy to appreciate.

I just can't see spending $3K for a stock wrap, or $5K or more for a custom wrap, just for the sake of protecting your boat. That can buy a lot of wax and equipment, and gelcoat detail work to repair the occasional scratch. If you want the one-of-a-kind look or want to promote something, then it might be worth it.

Also, I don't think it would be easy to repair a damaged section at all. I think you'd be screwed at that point.

Some of the wacky looking graphics their doing wraps with now days are pretty wild...... but not really something I'd like on my own boat. Seems like a savvy vendor could design a partial wrap that would basically add some flare or change the stripe scheme up a bit. A guy could spend a little money picking up a good used boat, add a wrap, clean up or update the interior, add a tower, stereo, etc., and end up with a good boat that looks like it belongs in this decade.

Heres a thread where a guy on WW did exactly that. Much closer to something I'd buy.