Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RESPONSE LX

eyepeeler

To expand the topic just a bit:

We take turns with boats at our club and rotate between a new SN196 with TBW, a pre-TSC hull SN 196 with a carbie (but with Stargazer), an 03 SN 206, and an 02 RLX. I enjoy skiing behind all the boats, but each are a little different. I like the wake behind all the boats, but the RLX is my favorite for slalom. From the driver's perspective, I like the vision in both 196's the best. I like how the 206 tracks the best and I like it best for trick skiing. Also, in the August heat in Dallas, I really like the air-flow in a walk-through open bow. The most annoying feature of any of the boats, in my opinion, is throttle-by-wire. It feels mushy starting out and takes some of the feel out of driving.

I rasied the seat in my 02 RLX by adding spacers between seat base and slide rails. It's defintely better for wife now (shes 5') but top of screen is sometimes in my view (5'7")

Do you have the flip bolster seat? Was that too high for your wife?

It's doesn't have flip up bolster. I don't think that was offered until 03.......

I love my RLXi, and need the open bow for occasional seating (and little kids love the space).

That being said, the thing I like least on the RLXi is taking even a little water over the bow, and the resulting wet carpet/cushions and drying necessary.

I sometimes dream of a closed bow that would eliminate this effort.

But walking to the bow through the open bow is handy too...

If you don't need the seating of the open bow, why get it?

Edited by SKI LVR

For the record: I have a ski boat because I slalom, but also have a family that does other disciplines as well.

I traded my '01 RLX for an '05 RLxi. I really wanted the front seating, and liked the looks of the new RLxi. The RLxi wake is very good and ski-able, but not as good and flat as my old RLX. The RLxi tracks well, but not as nice as the RLxi. The RLxi is quick, but not as quick... you see where we are going with this. Add to this equation that the added front seating is un-usable due to the bow scoop problem, and you have less to like about the RLxi other than its versatility as a crossover boat. Granted, this is splitting hairs, getting down to the nitty gritty, but thats what this is about, right? I don't mean to sound like I am dogging the RLxi, but in compromise, you loose some refinements. For those who are looking for the ultimate performing SKI boat, the Response wins.

I might go back to the RLX closed bow since '09 is the last year of availability.

Ok, go ahead and blast away.

Edited by brazosvet
I think the RLX actually tracks a tiny bit better but it is negligible.

Really? Wow, i never would have said that but each to their own. It definately 'rolls' a little more than the LXi when someone loads on it out of the ball. IMO the RLX: more nimble, yes. better on fuel, havnt noticed. better cockpit feel and course driving position, yes. better jump boat, no. better trick boat, yes. better wake, depends on linelength.

i spend more time skiing behind RLX's than my LXi and can mostly agree with the OP. if it was purely my choice i would have an RLX but you cant beat the versatility of the LXi, it does it all, and very well. this topic could be 'debated' forever, its just a matter of what you need and want in a boat. Thumbup.gif

I moved from an 01 Lx to an 05 Rlxi. The storage/seating in the Lxi is a much better fit for my family, but imho, the Lx wins hands down when the two are compared by any other criteria.

I have an RLX, and my cousin has a new 2008 RLXi.

For footing, everyone that skis both boats prefers my boat. The RLXi puts out some sort of "choppy" water in the curl that is annoying to me. We both have the hammerhead. I have the 365 and he has the 383. We both have barefoot plates(SSP) as well. We have ran the boats next to each other and the top end is almost identical. My boat, however gets his out of the hole. We also are running the same props. Acme 13x12.625.

As for size, his, of course has more room, but not much. A little wider and the walk through bow and the only big differences. And of course the weight comparison. If I had to judge the overall "looks" of each boat, I prefer the RLX.

Dan, have you skied any of the RLXi's '07 and above? Did you notice the xtra choppiness in the curl??

Nope, I have never footed behind a 07-09 RLX... but I have heard only bad things about the wake for barefooting. No wonder they brought back the RLX Barefooter as the official Malibu Barefoot boat. People were actually ready to boycot any competitions that would use it as a tow boat.

Is it just me? The Response LX seems to be a better fit for me than the LXI. The LX is quicker, nimbler, better on gas, easier to wipe down, weighs less, easier to tow, less expensive, and I like the lines better. Now don't get me wrong, I love the LXI as well, it's just as far as owning a boat, the LX is a better fit for me personally. What do you guys or gals think?

Personally I prefer the RLX over the 07 and greater LXi, but prefer the 03-06 LXi over the RLX... from a looks and barefooting point of view. However I prefer the closed bow Response over any LXi.

Dan, Do you really prefer the 03 - 06 LXi to the RLX for barefooting?

I find the wake a bit better on the RLXi without a SSP than a RLX without an SSP. I have to say I have never tried a RLXi with SSP thought. But I find the RLXi (03-06) better looking than the RLX. So that is why I would choose the RLXi over the RLX. But the closed bow Response any day over both.

I love my RLXi, and need the open bow for occasional seating (and little kids love the space).

That being said, the thing I like least on the RLXi is taking even a little water over the bow, and the resulting wet carpet/cushions and drying necessary.

I sometimes dream of a closed bow that would eliminate this effort.

But walking to the bow through the open bow is handy too...

If you don't need the seating of the open bow, why get it?

Clap.gifRockon.gifPlus1.gif EXACTLY!

For footing, everyone that skis both boats prefers my boat. The RLXi puts out some sort of "choppy" water in the curl that is annoying to me. We both have the hammerhead. I have the 365 and he has the 383. We both have barefoot plates(SSP) as well. We have ran the boats next to each other and the top end is almost identical. My boat, however gets his out of the hole. We also are running the same props. Acme 13x12.625.

As for size, his, of course has more room, but not much. A little wider and the walk through bow and the only big differences. And of course the weight comparison. If I had to judge the overall "looks" of each boat, I prefer the RLX.

Dan, have you skied any of the RLXi's '07 and above? Did you notice the xtra choppiness in the curl??

Nope, I have never footed behind a 07-09 RLX... but I have heard only bad things about the wake for barefooting. No wonder they brought back the RLX Barefooter as the official Malibu Barefoot boat. People were actually ready to boycot any competitions that would use it as a tow boat.

Interesting. I imagine my claims are justified. The wake/curl on the '07 and up, for lack of a better word, SUCKS. Recently when skiing behind my cousins' '08 I stay on the right or left side of the table. The curl is crap to foot in.

Thanks for your input everybody. Brazo mentioned that 09 may be the last production year for the RLX. Hate to see it go.

Interesting. I imagine my claims are justified. The wake/curl on the '07 and up, for lack of a better word, SUCKS. Recently when skiing behind my cousins' '08 I stay on the right or left side of the table. The curl is crap to foot in.

either boat isn't going to prevent me from running the course. :)
Right on, Justine! Michael told us it's lack of talent that precludes you running the course. Whistling.gif
WOW, I can't beleive you came up w/ that all by yourself. I'm still skiing what are you doing? ;)

ROFL.gif Justin shoots...and he scores. ROFL.gif

How's the back, Grampa Jack?