Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RESPONSE LX

eyepeeler

Is it just me? The Response LX seems to be a better fit for me than the LXI. The LX is quicker, nimbler, better on gas, easier to wipe down, weighs less, easier to tow, less expensive, and I like the lines better. Now don't get me wrong, I love the LXI as well, it's just as far as owning a boat, the LX is a better fit for me personally. What do you guys or gals think?

Sounds to me like you've already convinced the only person that really matters. That said, IMHO the only factual differences you cite above are weight and cost. Looks are a personal preference, and if you like the LX better, well then it is better.

The rest of your reasons though appear to me like you are reaching for justification that isn't necessarily supported by fact:

Better on gas? These things all burn gas with reckless abandon ( Thumbup.gif ). I don't think over a summer of equal usage that you would find a significant difference between these two machines. Maybe between a Response and a monster wake machine towing around twice the fuel and a ton of ballast.

Easier to wipe down? Why? The two boats are not that much difference in size. In my case, I wipe down the boat from inside while it sits on the lift (vs on a trailer). Having a walk-thru makes it much easier for me to get the bow wiped down. But even if I'm wiping down the boat on a trailer, it isn't significantly different in length or height, so why would the LX be easier?

Easier to tow? Again, why? Both boats sit on basically the same trailer. How is one easier to tow than the other. Sure the LXi is a bit heavier. But unless you are trying to pull one or the other with your bicycle, I doubt your tow vehicle is gonna know the difference.

Quicker, nimbler? Might be something to that, but engine-to-engine variation could easily make one quicker than the other. Can't speak for the newer RLXi, but my '03 is quick and turns on a dime. Not sure I need quicker or nimbler.

You said it best at the end though - it's all about what fits you personally. They are both awesome machines, and you can't go wrong with either one.

I hate the "crawl-over" open bow (have it on my Sporty). If I was doing it over again I'd just get a closed bow. Had to "sell" it to the wife as a family boat though. The walk-thru open bow of the LXi is nice though.

I do like the "classic" Response a lot also. I liked the closed bow for storage and the look of it. Granted then it really isn't a "family" boat but if you and 2 friends want to have a great morning of skiing or footing then it is awesome. However, regarding the walk over to the open bow, I'm not a huge fan. I have to give it to Mastercraft on this one. I like their design of the passenger seat back that swings to the side to get to the open bow. Frankly, I wish the Response LXi passenger seat was designed like the Prostar 197.

I think this also has a lot to do with the primary purpose and use of the boat... Is it used in big water or is it just used on the same 10 private lake. The great thing about the RLXi is that it can go pull 41 off in the morning and be surfing that afternoon.... No other boat can pull that off as well as the RLXi- not even the RLX.

As for the observer seat, buy a jump seat to sit in the walk thru. I have one and I love it! For slalom it extends the observer seat into a couch and then when we are using the bow it goes behind the drivers seat....

The point being is the LXI is the USA approved towboat and Malibu is pushing it and not the LX so it is hard to find a good used LX with the Moonsoon, that's all.

I think this also has a lot to do with the primary purpose and use of the boat... Is it used in big water or is it just used on the same 10 private lake. The great thing about the RLXi is that it can go pull 41 off in the morning and be surfing that afternoon.... No other boat can pull that off as well as the RLXi- not even the RLX.

As for the observer seat, buy a jump seat to sit in the walk thru. I have one and I love it! For slalom it extends the observer seat into a couch and then when we are using the bow it goes behind the drivers seat....

Both are great boats. Traded my 2000 RLX for an 2005 RLXi, and have never looked back. My wife even thought the trade was a good idea. Now as far as the looks, I'm not a fan of any of the newer Malibu front ends.

Edited by onamission

I have always preferred the LX ... much quicker out of the hole and as a hard core ski/footin boat, I prefer its wake. However, when on a lake where you need to take more than 3 - 4 people for hours on end, the LX gets extremely tight.

/Steve

Both are great boats. Traded my 2000 RLX for an 2005 RLXi, and have never looked back. My wife even thought the trade was a good idea. Now as far as the looks, I'm not a fan of any of the newer Malibu front ends.

Plus1.gif

I have always preferred the LX ... much quicker out of the hole and as a hard core ski/footin boat, I prefer its wake. However, when on a lake where you need to take more than 3 - 4 people for hours on end, the LX gets extremely tight.

/Steve

This is a point I don't seem to understand... It's not that I disagree w/this post but, what's not hard core about a boat that can easily pull anyone into the PB and can easily pull pros to the world record? I completely understand that some peeps may perfer a CB, or a RLX for some reason but are you saying that the RLXi isn't as hard core a slalom boat?

Also, I don't use but a little of what my RLXi has to offer to pull me out of the water and get me up to 34mph on a short set up, so I don't understand the need/desire to have more of a hole shot or how you would need to get to speed any more quickly...

I third the front end sentiment on the newer RLXi's...

Maybe the better term would be old school or traditional slalom / footing boat. And I don't mean that negatively as I am a closed bow guy. Even if the LXI has a better wake, its just a differen't boat. It doesn't have the closed cockpit feel of a Response LX that some people like. But those people are becoming fewer and fewer every year. And eventually I will move over too.

To me that is the crux of the issue. Private lake I'd get a R or RLX open lakes a RLXI, either boat isn't going to prevent me from running the course. :) I'll certainly welcome a pull behind either. Rockon.gif

The 2001+ RLX is still the best feeling cockpit of any ski boat ever put to water period. That said, the RLXi does have a nicer wake, a little better tracking, and more room. For me, the best of both worlds would be RLXi with the RLX ergonomics.

The 2001+ RLX is still the best feeling cockpit of any ski boat ever put to water period. That said, the RLXi does have a nicer wake, a little better tracking, and more room. For me, the best of both worlds would be RLXi with the RLX ergonomics.

I dunno, Matt. The helm of my '08 feels pretty nice. And for precision of 'feel' while driving, I would take the '08 over my '03 RLX every time. I actually prefer the wake behind the '03, however, and as far as pure driving fun. . .I think the '03 had it.

either boat isn't going to prevent me from running the course. :)

Right on, Justine! Michael told us it's lack of talent that precludes you running the course. Whistling.gif

Edited by VinRLX
Is it just me? The Response LX seems to be a better fit for me than the LXI. The LX is quicker, nimbler, better on gas, easier to wipe down, weighs less, easier to tow, less expensive, and I like the lines better. Now don't get me wrong, I love the LXI as well, it's just as far as owning a boat, the LX is a better fit for me personally. What do you guys or gals think?

Personally I prefer the RLX over the 07 and greater LXi, but prefer the 03-06 LXi over the RLX... from a looks and barefooting point of view. However I prefer the closed bow Response over any LXi.

I have an RLX, and my cousin has a new 2008 RLXi.

For footing, everyone that skis both boats prefers my boat. The RLXi puts out some sort of "choppy" water in the curl that is annoying to me. We both have the hammerhead. I have the 365 and he has the 383. We both have barefoot plates(SSP) as well. We have ran the boats next to each other and the top end is almost identical. My boat, however gets his out of the hole. We also are running the same props. Acme 13x12.625.

As for size, his, of course has more room, but not much. A little wider and the walk through bow and the only big differences. And of course the weight comparison. If I had to judge the overall "looks" of each boat, I prefer the RLX.

Dan, have you skied any of the RLXi's '07 and above? Did you notice the xtra choppiness in the curl??

Edited by areamike

I dunno, Matt. The helm of my '08 feels pretty nice. And for precision of 'feel' while driving, I would take the '08 over my '03 RLX every time. I actually prefer the wake behind the '03, however, and as far as pure driving fun. . .I think the '03 had it.

either boat isn't going to prevent me from running the course. :)

Right on, Justine! Michael told us it's lack of talent that precludes you running the course. Whistling.gif

WOW, I can't beleive you came up w/ that all by yourself. I'm still skiing what are you doing? ;)

Personally I prefer the RLX over the 07 and greater LXi, but prefer the 03-06 LXi over the RLX... from a looks and barefooting point of view. However I prefer the closed bow Response over any LXi.

Dan, Do you really prefer the 03 - 06 LXi to the RLX for barefooting?

I have an 02 RLX and one of my neighbors has an 07 (I think) RLXi and I have spent a fair amount of time in both. Both have the Monsoon. I feel like I sit a little higher in my RLX and I think the RLX actually tracks a tiny bit better but it is negligible. I don't notice a difference in the wakes but when I skied on a MC 197 I didn't notice a real difference either so maybe I am just not that sensitive.

I do love the walk through and the little bit of more space in the boat. If I was buying a new one right now I would get the RLXi with the jump seat in the front. I would probably look at the MC 197 also which I rode in and skied behind at Cobles it was a nice ride and I really like the optional ballast under the passenger seat for skiing without and observer. That is a way cool option.

I feel like I sit a little higher in my RLX

Chef, do you mean in the driver's seat? I think later '08 models are slightly higher than previously manufactured. My partner and I both have the 08s, his is very early production, and my seat is ~1-2 inches higher. I'm glad mine is the way it is--my sight line is much different in his boat and I find it more difficult to get comfortable.

I rasied the seat in my 02 RLX by adding spacers between seat base and slide rails. It's defintely better for wife now (shes 5') but top of screen is sometimes in my view (5'7")

I feel like I sit a little higher in my RLX

Chef, do you mean in the driver's seat? I think later '08 models are slightly higher than previously manufactured. My partner and I both have the 08s, his is very early production, and my seat is ~1-2 inches higher. I'm glad mine is the way it is--my sight line is much different in his boat and I find it more difficult to get comfortable.

Correct I meant the drivers seat. The line of sight isn't a problem I can see fine when I drive I just feel like I sit lower than I do in my RLX

I rasied the seat in my 02 RLX by adding spacers between seat base and slide rails. It's defintely better for wife now (shes 5') but top of screen is sometimes in my view (5'7")

Do you have the flip bolster seat? Was that too high for your wife?