Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing Transmission

Cheat Otoole

I winterized my boat for the first time yesterday, last year it was done at the dealer. I'm pretty sure I got everything drained; pulled the plugs from the block, disconnected the hose between the manifolds, removed inlet hose to water pump, checked trans cooler filter, disconnected heater inlet from the top of the manifold and blew out and added pink antifreeze, blew out hot and cold shower lines and ran in pink antifreeze.

My question is, do I need to drain my tranmission? My Indmar manual covers Ski Vee and Walters V drive transmissions but neither of these appear to be the one I have in my boat. Can anyone tell me which transmission I have in my boat and if there are drain plugs? Motor is a 340 Monsoon if that matters. I did read the Monsoon winterization guide and there wasn't a mention of draining the transmission.

For curiosity's sake, why is an oil change part of winterization? What are the adverse effects of leaving old oil in the boat and changing in the spring?

Thanks, everything else I needed to know to winterize was well explained.

The old oil is acidic, and contains all the junk from inside. the oil gets acidic over time, and will corode things from inside. It is best to change the oil in the fall, as to eliminate that potential problem. The benefit to changing it inthe spring is the moisture build up during winter from heat/cool cycles can contaiminate the oil as well. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I personally change the oil in the winter and install cheap oil, then in the spring drain the oil and put in fresh oil for the summer season.

FWIW, I've never heard of anyone draining their tranny or V-drive oil as part of winterization.

BTW, the easiest way to get either of those fluids out is by suctioning them via the dipstick hole.

I think I may have answered my own question with my clarification. Cooling water does not travel to the transmission, transmission oil travels to the trans cooler hanging off of the front of the block to be cooled and circulates back to the transmission.

Right?

• 1 month later...
The old oil is acidic, and contains all the junk from inside. the oil gets acidic over time, and will corode things from inside. It is best to change the oil in the fall, as to eliminate that potential problem. The benefit to changing it inthe spring is the moisture build up during winter from heat/cool cycles can contaiminate the oil as well. There are advantages and disadvantages to both. I personally change the oil in the winter and install cheap oil, then in the spring drain the oil and put in fresh oil for the summer season.

medicdiver, I bet you wash your dishes before you but them in the dishwasher...right? :)

IMO, the reason why the oil should be changed in the fall is simply to avoid putting your boat in and out of the water for nothing. The important thing is to drain (better than pumping IMO, you get more out. Don't beleive me, pump out your oil as much as you like and then remove your pan drain plug ...) your oil when it is hot. For one, it will drain much quicker but most importantly you will get most of the debris out. If you drain your oil cold, most the sinking debris will stay on the bottom of the oil pan and most of your floating debris will stick to the sides of the motor housing as the level goes down. When the oil is hot, all the debris is stired up and mixed with the oil.

If you want an analogy, buy 2 bottles of italian salde dressing, pierce a small hole in the bottom of each bottle. Drain them both, but shake one up first. You will see that one has much more debris than the other...

Plus, you are usually more in a hurry to ski in the spring and don’t have time to change your oil…

As for humidity in the oil, it is a non factor from what I have heard. It would not be enough to cause any damage and would probably evaporate in the first minutes of use.

Seems like a waste of oil and time to drain the old and put in new, just to let it sit in the pan. Then drain that new oil and install more new oil before running in the spring. just my .02

Seems like a waste of oil and time to drain the old and put in new, just to let it sit in the pan. Then drain that new oil and install more new oil before running in the spring. just my .02

your .02, his 30$... I totally agree.