Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

air intake

phishfan

I was taking a look at the flame arrestor and was under the impression that the air intake valve is supposed to open up/pivot, however, mine seems to have some baked on soot on it and it didn't move.

I'm referring to this.

intake.JPG

The reason I ask is I'm going to winterize in a few weeks for the first time and wanted to make sure I don't screw anything up. Thanks.

What you are looking at, there, is the butterfly valve. It's directly connected to the throttle. You cannot move it manually just by pressing on it with your fingers. If I were you, I'd open the throttle all the way at the control and carefully clean that plate. I'd do this by spraying whatever you've got in your hand there on a rag and cleaning the plate with your fingers inside the rag.

As pete said, that is the butterfly valve. Open it with throttle and hold open. Unload carb cleaner on it, and a very soft bristle tooth brush, not a wire brush. Clean it with the brush, spray it off, repeat until clean. Then, start the boat to clean the gunk out that you just sprayed in it. Let it run for 30 seconds -2 min to clean out the intake.

Okay. Thanks. I'll do that once it's back from the shop. For some reason, the boat can't hold 32MPH. It can do 28,30,34,36 but not 32.

I'll know later this week what the problem is. Hopefully the tech can figure it out.