Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Newb Help Questions with a foreword sorry! 1996 Malibu Sunsetter LX

Recruiter

To begin with, I will apologize with my first post being a list of questions. I have lurked for awhile now and have read great advice on buying a boat. I have used the search function to look for these answers, but I am not convinced my limited computer skills are allowing me to do it correctly.

Two weeks ago we purchased a 1996 Malibu Sunsetter LX; it has the Chevy engine :) . In all honesty, I have waited 20+ years to make this purchase. I have always wanted a true DD boat and the stars finally aligned and my wish came true. Like any boat, this one has some issues that need to be taken care of. The bilge was fried as was the wiring, it needed a new waterpump, and an alternator belt. I had the necessities taken care of by my local shop but he found a list of things that need to be done. Some are basic maintence things that I feel like with guidance I can do myself. I pride myself on being a semi redneck that can marginally turn wrenches. If given driections, I can follow them. One item the mechanic found that I would like to do myself is put in a new starter. I can't find any information as to how to do this. Help please. It also needs a steering cable and I am betting I will be better off with letting the shop tackle this one?

Now to the maintence stuff:

Is there any specific maintence book I should buy? If so, where do I purchase?

I change the oil on my own trucks. I know I can change the oil on the boat if given directions. I have no manual/repair guide so I am going blind. Anyone out there want to guide me though? Oil type I should use? how much? What filter should I buy? Just the basic "how-to" would be helpful for sure. Same goes for the tranny. Nothing I don't think I can do, but don't really know where the drain plug etc. is located.

It needs a new rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. The only thing that really scares me about this is getting it out of time. Suggestions?

I would like to install two batteries. One to start, one to use for everything else. Good or bad idea? How?

Fuel filters - How do I not get gas everywhere?

I'd say that is enough for my first newb post and asking for help :) . Any advice is much appreciated. I am excited about being on the lake and playing again after a long rest. Too long.

I am located in Johnson City, Tn.

Many thanks,

Katie

I change the oil on my own trucks. I know I can change the oil on the boat if given directions. I have no manual/repair guide so I am going blind. Anyone out there want to guide me though? Oil type I should use? how much? What filter should I buy? Just the basic "how-to" would be helpful for sure. Same goes for the tranny. Nothing I don't think I can do, but don't really know where the drain plug etc. is located.

I'm assuming you have the Monsoon engine, and from your description it sounds like the carbureted variety, am I correct? It should be pretty similar to my RLX. To change the oil, locate the black hose with a brass cap hanging from the port side of the engine. Place this hose through the drain hole in the bilge and drain into a container below. To change the filter, first loosen it with a filter wrench, then wrap a plastic bag around it and unscrew it the rest of the way. The bag is to catch excess oil from getting into the bilge. You will get a hundred different answers on oil type, but I've been using Penzoil 15w-40 every 30 hours or so since I got my boat.

For the tranny, there is no drain hold per se. You need a vacuum pump or turkey-baser type device to suck the fluid out. Pay attention to how much you remove and add the same amount back.

It needs a new rotor, cap, wires, and plugs. The only thing that really scares me about this is getting it out of time. Suggestions?

If you're only replacing the cap, you won't knock it out of time, however if you are going to replace the whole rotor, I'd have someone who has worked on small-block chevy engines to help you out. Plugs and wires are cake, just disconnect one wire at a time or mark where each of them goes.

I would like to install two batteries. One to start, one to use for everything else. Good or bad idea? How?

More batteries is never a bad idea, but ask yourself if you really need one. If you 1) plan on installing a monster sound system or 2) plan on sitting with the engine off and pumping the stereo for long periods of time, a second battery is a must. I personally only have one Optima Blue Top and it has never let me down. If you decide to go with 2 batteries you'll need a perko battery switch. I'm sure someone will post a link to a wiring diagram....it's pretty simple.

Fuel filters - How do I not get gas everywhere?

Put some towels down, you will spill some fuel. However once the fuel in the lines drains, it won't continue to pour out.

Good luck and congrats on the new boat!!! Clap.gif

Recruiter,

It looks like SpinXT has your answers covered, however you may want to check these out...

Searching the site for answers, check this thread. The search on this forum leaves a lot to be desired

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=16711

Service Manual

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=2624

Oil change link

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=14672

Rotor,cap, wires, plugs

Procedure most likely explained in the Clymer manual linked to above.

Two batteries. Good idea and explained in detail in many posts. Here's one example

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....mode=linearplus

Fuel filter.

I believe in your boat it is an in-line fuel filter. You can use SpinXT's towel method or get a small container that can hold gasoline and put it in place under the filter. As you remove the tubes on either end, place them in the container. Quickly connect them on to the new filter.

Super kind of you to help me out! As sick as it sounds, I am looking forward to changing the oil and tranny fluid tonight! What oil fliter should I buy? Going to pick up stuff on my way home from work today. I know I have two inline fuel filters; one looks easy to get to, the other is stashed on top of the fuel cell. Anyone know where to go about buying the vacuum type devise to suck the fluid out of the tranny?

Many thanks!

Katie

Oil filters...

Merc. 35-802885T or newer 35-866340K01

Penn. PZ3, NAPA gold 1069, AC PF25

Penske PN30, Fram PH30, Puro. L20049

Castrol CM30, Motorcraft FL10,

Quaker State QS30, Wix 51069

Most of us agree that the NAPA gold 1069 is the best.