Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond Hull or Wake Hull for best Wakesurf wave

surferbobo

Here is a crazy question.

I am thinking of buying a new 09 VLX. I know the wakehull provides the best wakeboard wake but does it provide the best wakesurf wave? My dealer said that he has a video from Malibu that has some pro wakeboarders saying that is is very little difference between the 2 hulls in a blind test. Just a crazy thought. I had a 99 VLX with the diamond hull and it had a good surf wave and was good in rough water. I have a 08 VLX with the wake hull and it doesn't have that good of a surf wave and seems not as good in the rough water. I had another dealer tell me that the 09 VLX has diamond hull and that is why it is better in the rough water.

We surf now about 60% of the time because there is not much calm water left on our lake so maybe I will consider getting the diamond hull for the wakesurfing and put up with the lesser wakeboarding wake (if there is any difference). My dealer doesn't have VLX with a diamond hull to compare. Any thoughts?

My dealer told me the same thing about the 8/10 pro riders not telling a difference. Wakegirl should be in soon to voice her opinion, I've only ridden behind diamond so I can't comment.

Just saying my dealer made the same argument about the pros blind test.

quote name='Woodsprinter' date='Sep 19 2008, 08:03 AM' post='271266']

It really bothers me about the difference between diamond and wake hull. Can we tell the difference by looking boat? :unsure:

The link you gave didn't go "wake vs diamond" page. [ Cry.gif

Neither am I just speaking from my experience. The wake hull produces a bigger surf wake with the same given weight.

+1

And I'd be curious at what the OP thinks of as a good surf wave. Yes, the '09 will be better, but I wouldn't call this exactly unrideable:

post-1-1221837139_thumb.jpg

post-1-1221837139_thumb.jpg

Neither am I just speaking from my experience. The wake hull produces a bigger surf wake with the same given weight.

+1

And I'd be curious at what the OP thinks of as a good surf wave. Yes, the '09 will be better, but I wouldn't call this exactly unrideable:

That looks like the dark side of the 09' VLX with stock ballast Tease2.gif .

We're taking out the 09' 23 LSV today and I will be writing up a comprehensive review this weekend.

quote name='Woodsprinter' date='Sep 19 2008, 08:03 AM' post='271266']

It really bothers me about the difference between diamond and wake hull. Can we tell the difference by looking boat? :unsure:

The link you gave didn't go "wake vs diamond" page. [ Cry.gif

Here is a post with some pictures of both the wake and diamond hulls.

+1

That looks like the dark side of the 09' VLX with stock ballast Tease2.gif .

We're taking out the 09' 23 LSV today and I will be writing up a comprehensive review this weekend.

Hey now, didn't I say that the '09 would be better? Tomato.gif Besides, I think that we only had 2 bags in the boat that day & 3 adults with the 2 kids, so it wasn't an extraordinary amount of ballast to achieve that.

My son rode behind an '08 LSV at our local tourny & really liked it. He said it was really similar to the 247. If my theory is correct, the cut hull that Malibu has gone to would be similar from the 247 on down, the VLX being the latest to be brought into line (so to speak).

malibudue, thanks. I always thought all VLXs come with wake hulls (SV23 and V25)? wake hull has more flat on rear bottom than diamond hull, right? I will check my 04 VLX. Hope it is wake hull Crazy.gif

I know on a buddies 06 XTI with the diamond hull that the wakesurf wave is absolutely horrid! We tried everything. 4 - 600lb sacks, 12 people too, you name the combination we tried it and could NOT get anything usable out of that boat's hull. We had that rub rail below the water and a crazy list to the boat and nothing would shape up.

malibudue, thanks. I always thought all VLXs come with wake hulls (SV23 and V25)? wake hull has more flat on rear bottom than diamond hull, right? I will check my 04 VLX. Hope it is wake hull Crazy.gif

Majority of the VLX's yes will be on thewake hull, though some order the diamond hull for it instead. The outer chines have a pronouced downward curve in them on the diamond hull.

I know on a buddies 06 XTI with the diamond hull that the wakesurf wave is absolutely horrid! We tried everything. 4 - 600lb sacks, 12 people too, you name the combination we tried it and could NOT get anything usable out of that boat's hull. We had that rub rail below the water and a crazy list to the boat and nothing would shape up.

I would blame that on the XTI, not the hull. There are plenty of people surfing diamond-hulled v drives.