Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Throttle very fast when engaged

CrazyTegger

Ok, so our boat was on the river when we demo'd it and when we put the boat into gear, the boat went a nice slow pace. Now that we've bought it and had it for a month or so, we've had it out on the lake, and noticed that when we put the boat into gear, it's a very fast idle. When we're pulling a beginner skier, it's very hard to engage into forward and not have them flip around or get freaked out by how fast the boat is going. Even when i'm behind the boat, when just engaged into forward, I can almost come out of the water, then I sink.

Is there a way to slow down the speed? Our neighbor has a Mastercraft and said that he had the same problem, but there was an adjustment on his transmission and now everything is fine.

What slack it's all electronic now for 08 and 09. When we just demo'd the new 09' VLX it took me by surprise how much quicker the response was with the new electronic throttle.

At idle, I'm going about 4 - 5 MPH @ 650RPM.

that's probably about what we're going. I guess it's just something we'll have to get used to... I guess the biggest problem we run into is that when docking, our approach is very fast. so we'll ahve to switch between forward and neutral then.

Edited by CrazyTegger
What slack it's all electronic now for 08 and 09. When we just demo'd the new 09' VLX it took me by surprise how much quicker the response was with the new electronic throttle.

I think he means slack in the rope. So you don't get pulled straight away when the rope tightens (like we do when we we're boarding). Obviously, for a lot of people this is disconcerting since they need to "get ready" before they "hit it", which is entirely understandable. We will often just hit is as soon as the rope slack is taken up. We have to do that 'cause we crash so many times we are forever pulling each other up! Whistling.gif

Edited by TheBlackPearl

that's probably about what we're going. I guess it's just something we'll have to get used to... I guess the biggest problem we run into is that when docking, our approach is very fast. so we'll ahve to switch between forward and neutral then.

Yes indeed. As someone said on TMC, which is my guiding principle for docking now - "don't approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it"

........ "don't approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it"

Ouch. I'd hope after driving an inboard for a while your a better driver than that.

As long as there are no other boats around or waves coming at me, I usually approach a dock quite a bit faster than I'd want to hit it. But I turn the boat to the left & then hit reverse to suck the back end towards the dock..... so I'm not heading directly at it. I'd have to have total steering &/or throttle failure for me to hit it. But these boats are very predictable.

Knock on wood......

As for the throttle, same here. No way I could just put it in gear with a skier at the end of the rope. 650 RPM seems about right. Just like the others, I bump in & out of gear to keep the line tight but no real tug on the rope.

Edited by Bill_AirJunky

I still don't like the throw on the new throttle into and out of gear.

After driving the same morse control for the past 6 years changing over is tough.

........ "don't approach the dock any faster than you are willing to hit it"

Ouch. I'd hope after driving an inboard for a while your a better driver than that.

As long as there are no other boats around or waves coming at me, I usually approach a dock quite a bit faster than I'd want to hit it. But I turn the boat to the left & then hit reverse to suck the back end towards the dock..... so I'm not heading directly at it. I'd have to have total steering &/or throttle failure for me to hit it. But these boats are very predictable.

Knock on wood......

As for the throttle, same here. No way I could just put it in gear with a skier at the end of the rope. 650 RPM seems about right. Just like the others, I bump in & out of gear to keep the line tight but no real tug on the rope.

Well yes,but that wasn't my point - I also know things happen when you least expect them. Like your engine that has never quit dying right when you need that reverse power, for example.

CrazyTegger, this is the norm. You have to get used to the bumping in/out of gear for close quarter maneuvering and setting a skier. It gets easier.

I still don't like the throw on the new throttle into and out of gear.

After driving the same morse control for the past 6 years changing over is tough.

Well, Chris, I was going to give you the usual treatment and call you punk and such, but I won't. . .

If you use the 08 shifter with any regularity you will get used to it very quickly. In fact, driving other boats after this, you will find the shift/throttle cumbersome. I find it more difficult to re-acclimate to the old throttles than I did to adjust to the new one. FWIW

Oh, ok, I can't stand it: Chris, remember the big, clunky, heavy cell phone your mom or dad had back when you were in 4th grade? Well, the pre-08 throttles feel like THAT. The 08 feels more like the cell phone that's in your pocket. Punk. ;)

Edited by VinRLX
Ok, so our boat was on the river when we demo'd it and when we put the boat into gear, the boat went a nice slow pace. Now that we've bought it and had it for a month or so, we've had it out on the lake, and noticed that when we put the boat into gear, it's a very fast idle. When we're pulling a beginner skier, it's very hard to engage into forward and not have them flip around or get freaked out by how fast the boat is going. Even when i'm behind the boat, when just engaged into forward, I can almost come out of the water, then I sink.

Is there a way to slow down the speed? Our neighbor has a Mastercraft and said that he had the same problem, but there was an adjustment on his transmission and now everything is fine.

2008's were shift by wire,, you need a new contoller. See your dealer and they will help you with that, the calibrations are off and they know about it, shouldn't hesitate replacing for you under warrenty

2008's were shift by wire,, you need a new contoller. See your dealer and they will help you with that, the calibrations are off and they know about it, shouldn't hesitate replacing for you under warrenty

from what's been said here everyone's controller is shot then... 650 rpm's and 4-5 mph. can anyone else confirm that it could be a controller? It doesn't seem like it's a common warrentied issue from the posts on here. I will check into it though

Tegger, confusion is what you get when you listen to a newbie with 4 posts. 650 RPM is the idle speed. In gear, you will get roughly 4-5 MPH depending on the boat and prop (with my 03, I think it was 4.8 MPH, IIRC). I don't know what boat you had prior to this, or if you had a boat. This makes a HUGE difference depending on your experience. If you are used to a different inboard, the neighbor's MC, it will still feel different. With my neighbor's 95 PS 190 I notice much less idle-speed forward momentum (maybe 1 MPH?) than with my boat, due in part to the transmission and prop set up. Driving my other neighbor's 05 Sunscape is different yet--same motor as mine, but gear reduction tranny and different prop and hull. Your boat is fine--get used to it. Follow advice posted above and seek more if necessary. Don't think that with this your LSV you can take up slack, put it in gear, and the skier will enjoy being dragged while they get steadied.

Ozkar is correct, there is a recall on '08 throttle controllers. If you haven't had it replaced, you should. Malibu asked that the '08s not be operated until the controller was swapped out. The recall was due to something like this: when you shift from F to N, the trans. stays in F, then you shift to R and give gas to slow the boat, tranny is still in F and you accelerate GOING FORWARD. Not sure what Ozkar means by 'calibration'. The recall, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with what you are experiencing or describing.

Tegger, confusion is what you get when you listen to a newbie with 4 posts. 650 RPM is the idle speed. In gear, you will get roughly 4-5 MPH depending on the boat and prop (with my 03, I think it was 4.8 MPH, IIRC). I don't know what boat you had prior to this, or if you had a boat. This makes a HUGE difference depending on your experience. If you are used to a different inboard, the neighbor's MC, it will still feel different. With my neighbor's 95 PS 190 I notice much less idle-speed forward momentum (maybe 1 MPH?) than with my boat, due in part to the transmission and prop set up. Driving my other neighbor's 05 Sunscape is different yet--same motor as mine, but gear reduction tranny and different prop and hull. Your boat is fine--get used to it. Follow advice posted above and seek more if necessary. Don't think that with this your LSV you can take up slack, put it in gear, and the skier will enjoy being dragged while they get steadied.

Ozkar is correct, there is a recall on '08 throttle controllers. If you haven't had it replaced, you should. Malibu asked that the '08s not be operated until the controller was swapped out. The recall was due to something like this: when you shift from F to N, the trans. stays in F, then you shift to R and give gas to slow the boat, tranny is still in F and you accelerate GOING FORWARD. Not sure what Ozkar means by 'calibration'. The recall, as far as I can tell, has nothing to do with what you are experiencing or describing.

Thanks for the info. We had the recall done before we purchased the boat, so i know that's not part of the issue. We came from an 89 campion I/O and when we put it in gear, we would barely move. We talked with the dealer, and he said that it cannot be adjusted and that we'll just have to learn how to compensate. Also, on a side note. When we take the boat out of gear (F to N) the back end always sways right. Does everyone else's do this too? Is this a standard inboard thing? I heard my MC neighbor saying that his does the same, so I'm assuming that it's common among boats. Some will notice it more than others.

Thanks for the info. We had the recall done before we purchased the boat, so i know that's not part of the issue. We came from an 89 campion I/O and when we put it in gear, we would barely move. We talked with the dealer, and he said that it cannot be adjusted and that we'll just have to learn how to compensate. Also, on a side note. When we take the boat out of gear (F to N) the back end always sways right. Does everyone else's do this too? Is this a standard inboard thing? I heard my MC neighbor saying that his does the same, so I'm assuming that it's common among boats. Some will notice it more than others.

CT, your I/O did not have nearly the torque or water-tractor attributes that your current boat does. You will have to adjust your driving to the characteristics of the boat. All inboards share common characteristics that are different from your old boat. Then, you will find that among inboards, each boat has slightly different idiosyncrasies. Once you are used to the inboard, however, adjusting from boat to boat will be comparatively easy. I regularly drive a ProStar, Sunscape, and two RLXis. My partner's RLXi handles slightly differently than mine, due to different motor and prop.

When going straight, F, at idle, and then shifting to N, the boat will change course. Depending on the boat, it will be more or less noticeable. I usually turn the wheel right as I go to N if I want to continue straight.

Enjoy getting acclimated to the handling of your new ride. Once done, you will find you can maneuver with surgical precision. Just don't hop in a Nautique and drive it near a dock or skier in the water. . .

Enjoy getting acclimated to the handling of your new ride. Once done, you will find you can maneuver with surgical precision. Just don't hop in a Nautique and drive it near a dock or skier in the water. . .

Ain't that the truth!! I drove both a 2009 SAN210 and a 2009 SN 196 this weekend, and while the SAN sucks to the right in reverse, the SN190 does not! As long as you're conscious of the RH prop rotation and plan for it, it's no big deal.

Edited by EZSnow